• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Hey all I'm looking into buying my first NFA item. I'm in love with the look/ idea of a super shorty. I checked out their web site and they said that their holding orders. How hard is it to find them? Also what's a average wait on a AOW stamp?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Paperwork for any NFA item has been running 8-12 months.

Digital has been less.

Trust has been about the same as digital, from what I've read.

Serbu Super Shorty are out there, but you mostly find the Mossy 500 and not the Remmy 870. I'd rather have the 870, but that's me...

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Paperwork for any NFA item has been running 8-12 months.

Digital has been less.

Trust has been about the same as digital, from what I've read.

Serbu Super Shorty are out there, but you mostly find the Mossy 500 and not the Remmy 870. I'd rather have the 870, but that's me...

OK I know this may sound stupid but could I stat the paper work without the firearm?

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Would love to shoot one of those shorty's, just to experience it. I've shot the Benelli and the Rem870 14" SBS and they make a heck of a boom. That little 7" or 10" barrel would have to be like a canon going off!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Would love to shoot one of those shorty's, just to experience it. I've shot the Benelli and the Rem870 14" SBS and they make a heck of a boom. That little 7" or 10" barrel would have to be like a canon going off!

They're fun!!

I only have a handful of rounds through two different ones, though. And all those have been tame 2.75" bird shot. I've not manned up and fired any buckshot or slugs.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    They're fun!!

I only have a handful of rounds through two different ones, though. And all those have been tame 2.75" bird shot. I've not manned up and fired any buckshot or slugs.

That said - if you're capable machinist - you can MAKE your own (with proper paperwork, tax stamps, etc) IF you can source a virgin receiver or a factory "cruiser" shotgun.

If anyone reads this is so interested, AIP Tactical Combat Shotguns MAY be a resource to buy an 870 receiver.

I think it would be one heck of a fun project but I lack any and all skills needed to do it.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I'd love to have one of these too, either variety. :) I love shotguns, they're all sorts of fun! Plus the NFA fee is only $5 for these correct? How much do the guns themselves run?

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    That said - if you're capable machinist - you can MAKE your own (with proper paperwork, tax stamps, etc) IF you can source a virgin receiver or a factory "cruiser" shotgun.

If anyone reads this is so interested, AIP Tactical Combat Shotguns MAY be a resource to buy an 870 receiver.

I think it would be one heck of a fun project but I lack any and all skills needed to do it.

Yeah, I'm not the machinist type either. LOL!! I think I would just need to buy it pre-made.

I think the mosssbergs usually run around 700 and the remingtons are 850. 5 dollar stamp and a whole lotta wait.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    $5 is for the transfer after the initial transfer is made. If you buy from a FFL7/SOT, they've already paid taxes on it through their SOT. If you build it yourself, the $200 tax applies.

Bmurray699

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2014
    Reno
    Has anyone seen the non nfa 14.5" mossbergs? They will take a pistol grip only Mossberg and replace the whole front half of the gun with shorter components. Then they ad a birds head grip making the overall length legal.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I believe the consensus here was that Indiana law precludes this configuration, even though it abides by Federal "interpretations" of the regs.

IC defines a "sawed-off shotgun" and any device designed to fire shot and has a barrel less than 18" long.

I'd buy up a couple SBSs in a heartbeat if IC wasn't so stupid in this regard. Maybe in.gov will get around to that sometime...

ShootnCut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Indiana
    I've had one of these for 25 years and it's designed to fire shot and the barrel is 12.5 inches. If the Mossberg was originally sold with a pistol grip it can be registered as an AOW. And that is legal in Indiana.

Marksman87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2013
    Evansville
    So I am new to NFA shotgun items (especially since SBS is illegal in Indiana) so I was just wanting to get clarification. If it is made with just the pistol grip and is a short barrel then it is legal to own in Indiana. Just wanting to get the correct information (no I have not researched this, I just came upon this thread and saw my bank account thinning out again.)...If so....DANG IT... NFA items are gonna make me one broke man

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So I am new to NFA shotgun items (especially since SBS is illegal in Indiana) so I was just wanting to get clarification. If it is made with just the pistol grip and is a short barrel then it is legal to own in Indiana. Just wanting to get the correct information (no I have not researched this, I just came upon this thread and saw my bank account thinning out again.)...If so....DANG IT... NFA items are gonna make me one broke man

If it as registered as an AOW (any other weapon), it's a $5 tax stamp to transfer. It can still never have a stock installed, as that would make it a SBS. To take a pistol grip shotgun or virgin receiver (that has NEVER had a stock installed) and build it into an AOW is a $200 tax stamp for "Manufacturing an AOW".

Top Bottom