• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just go my stamp and I have completed my upper in 5.56. I have a stripped upper and lower. Thinking about building a 300BLkout. Question. What is the minimum barrel length I should consider? From what I have read, I want a pistol length gas tube. This will NOT be suppressed. Just want something short that will still cycle.

i reload, so any other advise is welcome, such as bullet weight, etc. I have 5lbs of trail boss and a bunch of H110 as I also reload 410 bore.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    first, you can't build anything less than your NFA application specified.

there are plenty of companies sell 8.5".

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood

Its already built out like specified. I have a new lower and upper. Going to build a seperate new NFA item

hfdcowboy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Brownsburg

Now I need to call the atf. My understanding was as long as you could return it to original build listed specs you could change out the uppers.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I should have worded my reply differently. you can't have a shorter barrel than your Form 1 approval specifies.

if you have a stamp for 10" barrel SBR, you can build anything longer than 10", you can have as many uppers as you want. but if you want a shorter than 10" barrel, you would need another stamp.

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    I should have worded my reply differently. you can't have a shorter barrel than your Form 1 approval specifies.

if you have a stamp for 10" barrel SBR, you can build anything longer than 10", you can have as many uppers as you want. but if you want a shorter than 10" barrel, you would need another stamp.

There is no limt on length once the sbr is approved you can build any length. The form one is just where it started thats why the nfa stopped accepting forms with various and multi on them. You are only requested to notify them if the change is permanent not required. Feel free to look this up there are many threads on it or you can call the nfa and ask.

Last edited:

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    Now I need to call the atf. My understanding was as long as you could return it to original build listed specs you could change out the uppers.

i would call and double check and not rely on the inaccurate information that ljk has left.

Another urban legend. If you make pemanent change, my understanding is that you have to notify them of the change. Back in the day, you could list all multi-calibers, but no more. So, if you are able to convet it back, you are fine. Given the legal ramifications, it would be wise to call the NFA and double check. Not worth getting it wrong or taking advise from someone who doesn't know. I'm sure the ATF would be happy to take another $200 from you, but I would bet it would get kicked out as the serial number would already be registered.

There is no limt on length once the sbr is approved you can build any length. The form one is just where it started thats why the nfa stopped accepting forms with various and multi on them. You are only requested to notify them if the change is permanent not required. Feel free to look this up there are many threads on it or you can call the nfa and ask.

this is my understanding. I think that if there are any changes made, that I would notify the ATF in writing of the change.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun

This is the only correct post in this thread. Once approved you can make any length you want, longer or shorter. Also, you're not required to notify NFA/BATFE of any changes, permanent or not. They ask that you do, but you're not required to do so. Change lengths, change calipers, whatever you like. Your receiver/serial is approved to be a SBR. Call any local SOT, they'll tell you the same. Google only official websites, forums are rife with misinformation.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    If you're not planning on using subsonic ammo then it seems that 6-9" is a good range for going really short. I would recommend getting a quality barrel though, at those lengths I would want one from a company that really knows what they are doing. Noveske and AAC are two that come the mind. I went with the Noveske 8.2", still need to go shoot it though.

Have you been to 300BlkTalk.com?

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    If you're not planning on using subsonic ammo then it seems that 6-9" is a good range for going really short. I would recommend getting a quality barrel though, at those lengths I would want one from a company that really knows what they are doing. Noveske and AAC are two that come the mind. I went with the Noveske 8.2", still need to go shoot it though.

Have you been to 300BlkTalk.com?

Yes, I've looked. It appaers that I could get away with a 8.2" barrel unsupressed, but would need a pistol length gas system.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Yes, I've looked. It appaers that I could get away with a 8.2" barrel unsupressed, but would need a pistol length gas system.

I am thinking that you want a pistol gas system anyway. IMO the short gas system is one of the benefits to this amazing cartridge.

Top Bottom