• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Thinking of building a truck/fun gun.I want something short and in a rifle cartridge.That points me in the direction of an SBR but I started thinking about the SB15 brace.I'm teetering between the two.The loss of range is going to be inherent with a 10.5" barrel.

My question here is if there's any other differences between building a true SBR and a pistol with the brace.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Let me be the first to say, YES!!! I dont know about the differences between the 2, but I did my first SBR this year and it is an awesome way to go

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I have an ak sbr, and I am looking at building an ar pistol with the brace. For me that is the way to go. In Indiana you can hunt deer with a 300blk ar in pistol form, you can also hunt with a 7.62x39 ar pistol. If you make the lower a pistol you can buy an upper in either of those calibers and still hunt with it. If you use one of the KAK pistol buffer tubes that have the ledge to keep the sb15 from going all the way in you can have a decent LOP too!
    I really love the sbr I have, but my next short gun will be a pistol and a brace. Just more versital in my opinion. You can always change your mind and go from a pistol to a SBR... Can't go the other way as easily.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I'm planning on doing an 300 blk SBR because I prefer a true stock to the arm brace. That said, for a truck gun I would probably just build a pistol and go from there. As noted, you can always do the SBR thing later if you decide you would like that better.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    The only difference between an SBR and an AR pistol with the SB15 pistol stabilizing brace is that you don't have to pay and wait for a tax stamp to build the pistol.

On the pistol, you can get the barrel any length you want, whether 7.5, 10.5, or whatever.

The only reason I can think of to go with an SBR build is if you want to be able to use a true buttstock. But is that really worth registering it, paying a tax, and waiting forever to get the approval?

Shoot, if you can't decide, then just build the pistol first. You can always convert a pistol to an SBR if you change your mind, but you can't go from an SBR to a pistol.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    If I were starting with nothing, I'd probably just get a Tavor. But now that I've already got an SBR stamp I'll probably need to SBR a couple more ARs. NFA items just aren't happy being alone.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I would go the SBR route. Either way you do it you want to do it right. If you get the Sig brace and a KAK tube you've spent nearly $200 that could have been a stamp. I just got my SBR approved and no way would I rather have a Sig brace than a true stock. My wait from pending to approved was less than 5.5 months on paper forms! Now that I have the ability to efile, I see that wait being cut in half.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Thinking of building a truck/fun gun.I want something short and in a rifle cartridge.That points me in the direction of an SBR but I started thinking about the SB15 brace.I'm teetering between the two.The loss of range is going to be inherent with a 10.5" barrel.

My question here is if there's any other differences between building a true SBR and a pistol with the brace.

The SB15 Brace will save you like $50 (give or take) and 6 months of wait time. But after you get your stamp you'll be glad you did it. AND don't believe the loss of range stuff. I watched 42769vette hit a full size IPSC Target @ 700+ yards repeatedly with a 10.5" Noveske in .223

Video in this thread shows hitting steal with an SBR.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...stance-shoot-42769vette-optics-pics-vids.html

Last edited:

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Also keep in mind that if you keep an SBR as a truck gun, if someone in in the truck without you it could place them in danger of "unregistered possession" or the "constructive intent" BS. :bs:
    This is the same absurdity that wife + knowledge-of-safe-combo = felony.

The SBR and pistol with armbrace are about equal in functionality, but the pistol+brace is no big deal for someone to be in the truck without you. Much easier to replace in the case of theft, as well.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Also keep in mind that if you keep an SBR as a truck gun, if someone in in the truck without you it could place them in danger of "unregistered possession" or the "constructive intent" BS. :bs:

The SBR and pistol with armbrace are about equal in functionality, but the pistol+brace is no big deal for someone to be in the truck without you IF THEY HAVE THEIR LTCH. Much easier to replace in the case of theft, as well.

FTFY

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

The SBR and pistol with armbrace are about equal in functionality, but the pistol+brace is no big deal for someone to be in the truck without you. Much easier to replace in the case of theft, as well.

That's exactly why I included my wife and kids on my trust.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Not worried about the whole possession thing since nobody drives my vehicles but me.I'm really thinking about going the pistol route to save the wait and the registration(in case things go south for NFA stuff in the future).Thanks for the input.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Not worried about the whole possession thing since nobody drives my vehicles but me.I'm really thinking about going the pistol route to save the wait and the registration(in case things go south for NFA stuff in the future).Thanks for the input.

Also think about what happens if someone breaks into your truck and steals it. If it is just a pistol with a brace, then you file a police report, get the serial number in the system and move on. If it's a registered SBR, be ready to have the ATF up your @#$% for a while.

If you are thinking about using this gun for a real, practical purpose, I wouldn't consider an SBR. It's not fair and the rules are stupid, but it's really not worth the trouble.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    For a truck gun I'd go with the pistol, laws are a fair bit more loose with a pistol than a SBR. Additionally, if you leave the state in your truck with a SBR there are some hoops to jump through, unlike a pistol.

As for getting a SBR, definitely, but I wouldn't for a truck gun.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I would argue having a buttstock will increase your stability by a ton! That'd be a huge one for me.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    correct me if I'm wrong, but don't SBRs and other class III items have difficulty leaving the state? I want to take my firearms with me on certain trips and don't want the hassle of SBR... go for the pistol with the SB15 brace

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Mechanically speaking they're identical. The interface of a stock versus an arm brace would be your sole variance. I'd recommend finding one to shoot, barring that go pistol and work it into a SBR if you're not happy with it.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    correct me if I'm wrong, but don't SBRs and other class III items have difficulty leaving the state? I want to take my firearms with me on certain trips and don't want the hassle of SBR... go for the pistol with the SB15 brace

You can take a suppressor into another suppressor friendly state without ATF permission. For an SBR you need to first fill out the correct form, mail it to the ATF, and wait for a letter of approval. You can have it encompass an entire year so that you can make as many trips as you like during that year without having to ask again for each trip.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I'm planning on doing an 300 blk SBR because I prefer a true stock to the arm brace. That said, for a truck gun I would probably just build a pistol and go from there. As noted, you can always do the SBR thing later if you decide you would like that better.

Don't know if you plan on hunting with it, but once a .300blk is in SBR form it is no longer legal to hunt with in IN. If you keep it as a pistol with a brace, it's still legal for hunting.

Top Bottom