What is the reason behind the long wait for a tax stamp?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Sorry if it has been asked before. Looked through the stickies and didn't see anything. Anywho...

Why does it take so long to get a tax stamp? Are they just backed up? Is it a "security measure"? Is Obamba infringin on muh rights?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It takes that long because, #1, it;s the .gov and, #2, because there has been a huge spike in transfers over the last few years and they aren't adding manpower to process them all.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    It takes that long because, #1, it;s the .gov and, #2, because there has been a huge spike in transfers over the last few years and they aren't adding manpower to process them all.

Don't forget the .gov is also trying to take away your guns not give you something more evil and scary!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I had heard a couple of years ago that during the Bush admin, the ATF funding was essentially frozen. If that is the case, I would imagine, especially with this administration, that the are more concerned with law enforcement rather than processing NFA paperwork.

I think my first Form 4 took about 6 months (this was a few years ago), the fastest was about 4 months (a Form 1 about two years ago), and my most recent has been about 4 months and counting.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I talked to an ATF gal just this morning that left NFA about 7 months ago. She told me they just added 12 new examiners and are in the process of adding 12 more. Wait times are coming down, but they still have tens of thousands of forms on backlog. Adding more examiners is a good thing!!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I talked to an ATF gal just this morning that left NFA about 7 months ago. She told me they just added 12 new examiners and are in the process of adding 12 more. Wait times are coming down, but they still have tens of thousands of forms on backlog. Adding more examiners is a good thing!!
    :rockwoot:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    The government creates each stamp by hand.
    They are very meticulous with each step and just want to make sure it is absolutely perfect before sending it out to you. :rolleyes:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south

Not as good as it would be to repeal all NFA laws, for starters.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    What were wait times like before the spike?

Quite a few years ago you could get a form 4 turned around in about 90 days. Problem is it is the government. Put minority workers in a job that they don't care about and they are not held to a greater productivity. Not saying all are bad, but there is a lot of work and with the gov if you do more than your share, they will let you. On the other hand if you are slow, that is fine too, as long as you show up most of the time.

Just like the state BMV, Why does it take 2 1/2 hours to get a license plate???

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    HEY! WAKE UP! YOU'RE DREAMING!

I dreamed that states would begin recognizing the second amendment as the right to keep and bear arms...Montana, Arizona, Alaska, Vermont.

I dreamed that Illinois would issue carry permits.

I dreamed that DC would permit firearm ownership.

I also dreamed that gun butters would stop being gun butters. I guess that one hasn't happened yet.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Quite a few years ago you could get a form 4 turned around in about 90 days. Problem is it is the government. Put minority workers in a job that they don't care about and they are not held to a greater productivity. Not saying all are bad, but there is a lot of work and with the gov if you do more than your share, they will let you. On the other hand if you are slow, that is fine too, as long as you show up most of the time.

Just like the state BMV, Why does it take 2 1/2 hours to get a license plate???

Wait, did you just bring race into this? I'm so white I'm almost transparent, but even I can't see any reasoning for that...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Wait, did you just bring race into this? I'm so white I'm almost transparent, but even I can't see any reasoning for that...

If I had to guess it wasn't his intent to make it racial. I'm sure instead of minority he meant un-skilled lower-income workers, which does not, in fact have anything to do with race except that some races have a greater number of unskilled workers in their labor pool.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just called on a suppressor that I sent in the Form 4 in June. They said it went pending 7/16 and should be done in March. I guess a 9-month door-to-door is better than it had been. For a while it was right around 1 year door-to-door. Hopefully as these new examiners come online, times will go down, though that will create a yo-yo effect because more people will get into NFA if the wait isn't as bad.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana

No I did not mean this as a racial remark. I mean this the way country boy phrased it. The government is the biggest supporter of quotas for hiring. Instead of bringing in people who can do the job efficiently they have to follow quotas. I wish everyone would hire people to do jobs based on work performance no matter who they are.

mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If a NICS check takes seconds, how much more are they checking that it takes months? How much of the 9 months do they actually spend looking into an individual?

Top Bottom