• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    A handguard or tube doesn't count for barrel length. There are long flash hiders and barrel extensions but they are pinned and welded to the barrel. It will require two tax stamps for what you're wanting.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Right. No stamp required, But your picture is about a 10.5" - 12" bbl with a 13+" full length handguard. I've never seen a handguard much over 16".

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    The only way to accomplish what you're wanting without SBRing, and without a super long handguard, would be to have a shroud permanently attached to a less than 16" length barrel, that would extend to 16", and that the suppressor would fit inside. Basically making a sleeve that would surround the can. The suppressor would have to directly thread to the original barrel threads that would be tucked down inside of the shroud. Of course by the time you had someone fab this up, finish it, and cost of materials, you could probably just pay for your stamp. Plus you'd have a much a cooler gun. In my opinion, if you're gonna spend the cash on a can, and a rifle to put it on, what's another $200? I think you'd be much happier with SBR in the long run, but I'm not you, so maybe I'm wrong.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I like the idea but speaking from rimfire experience, if you don't coat the tube with some kind of rubber or bed liner it will want to ring like a bell every time you fire it. BONG!

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    You could use an 11.5" barrel and a 5.7" gemtech trek and silver solder the trek to the barrel. The atf would consider that permanent and your oal would be 16.6".

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I'm not goin for the bubba effect. I guess I'll go with a full length barrel and the longest tube I can get.

I think that would be the best way. If you try to permanently attach a suppressor to a barrel, sooner or later you will regret it. You will want to move it to something else, since you have a lot of cash in it. Then you will be stuck. If you blind pin it, you will probably do more damage to the suppressor removing it. Personally I think a suppressor on the end of the barrel has a cool look to it.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Thanks for the input fellers. Looks like I'm gonna just do a 16" barrel and the longest tube I can get. Oh well. Maybe when I have more time and fundage I can do an SBR.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Just get a ratcheting suppressor. They ratchet on and off a qd flash suppressor

lolwut.jpg

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    R u running it suppressed all the time? Depending in ebay muzzle device you have on ( without the can on), you can blow up the front ends of your handguard

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The question I have is can you do it without a new stamp for an SBR? The part I can't seem to find is the 18" hand guard!

that would become one front-heavy gun. Granted my silencer is a little heavy since it's a .308 can, but I don't really like it on my 16". Too nose heavy. A super long handguard would only make it worse. It ballances pretty well on my 12.5" which is what it's intended for. Take that into consideration when deciding whether to SBR...

anyway....

JP offers this:
    JP Rifles
    which is designed only to work with their carbine-length handguard. I can't tell exactly from the pics, but it looks like you could adapt one of their longer handguards to take it (at best by just adding the screw holes, at worst it would also need boring out the end of the handguard.. something a good machinist/gunsmith could probably make happen.) Exact dimensions aren't given, but it would probably end up ~17" w/ their 12" tube and ~20" w/ their 15" tube....

-rvb

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spencerab23
    Top Bottom