Getting LEO sign off in Muncie/Delaware county?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ninjasteezify

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    Delaware County
    Does anyone have first hand experience with getting signatures from the chief or sheriff in this area? How did it go and what is typically the best way to reach them and arrange meetings? I know most will suggest going with a trust but I would like to avoid spending another couple hundred dollars on top of the Tax to ATF if I can avoid it. I dont mind the wait time as it'll be a while before I can afford an short barreled upper anyway. I also do not plan on acquiring too many NFA items in my lifetime, maybe an SBR or two and a suppressor at most, so if anyone can share their experience with the Muncie LEO regarding NFA items that would be greatly appreciated as I feel in my situation this is the more desired route. Thanks in advance!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I would call and ask what there policy is. They will tell you. If there is an issue then go the trust route. The trust route is worth it IMHO. You can put your kits and family members, trusted friends. It makes willing your items to someone easier if they are on your trust. Really think hard about it! And best of luck. Hopefully there will me no issue. South Bend's police chief won't sign off but the Sheriff will. I still went the trust route. All my stuff goes to my boy.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have done several with the past Sheriff (George Sheridan) and two with the current Sheriff (Mike Scroggins). Never had any issues; typically takes 4-7 working days. I just took the paperwork in an envelope with my name, address and phone number on it into the Sheriff's office and dropped it off to the secretary. Just tell them what it is and that it is for the Sheriff to fill out and sign.

Walt G

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Hendricks co
    Trust is the only way to play! If you get one you won't regret it! Class III firearms are like crack once you try it your hooked and you just want more!

ninjasteezify

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2014
    Delaware County
    199trust

I'm in Muncie and am going the trust route. Didn't want to mess with the CLEO junk.

Thanks for the input guys Im gonna go ahead and ask for the signature and see what happens. If I cant get the signature then I'll go the trust route. Ryan is that trust pretty dependable? I always hear people say to get a lawyer and set one up but theres usually a rather hefty price to go with that. I would be all for setting up a trust if there are reliable, affordable trusts that wont get me in trouble later on down the road.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Thanks for the input guys Im gonna go ahead and ask for the signature and see what happens. If I cant get the signature then I'll go the trust route. Ryan is that trust pretty dependable? I always hear people say to get a lawyer and set one up but theres usually a rather hefty price to go with that. I would be all for setting up a trust if there are reliable, affordable trusts that wont get me in trouble later on down the road.

My first stamp is in the works. My check was cashed though and I was told that means my paperwork was accepted as correct.

I think other people already have stamps on their trusts from that site.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The big issue I see with mail order trust is you don't have someone that you can talk to about the laws. Most importantly the local laws. NFA laws vary state to state. No doubt you can set up a trust via that sight. But what support do you get?

For me it's piece of mind. I can call my Indiana lawyer and I have called him a few times. It's all up to you and what you want to do. And what your comfortable with.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    My first stamp is in the works. My check was cashed though and I was told that means my paperwork was accepted as correct.

I think other people already have stamps on their trusts from that site.

Them cashing your check just means they have it. From there it will sit in a box for several months before any of the pre-examiners(drawing a blank on what they are calling them right now)take a look at the application. If all looks correct, then it goes off to the examiners for a final check and sign off.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have done several with the past Sheriff (George Sheridan) and two with the current Sheriff (Mike Scroggins). Never had any issues; typically takes 4-7 working days. I just took the paperwork in an envelope with my name, address and phone number on it into the Sheriff's office and dropped it off to the secretary. Just tell them what it is and that it is for the Sheriff to fill out and sign.

I went to High School and graduated with Mike. He is a great guy. He was one heck of a football player too.

Top Bottom