• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glocknroll9

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 27, 2009
    Auburn
    Was looking at huntertown arms website, I have a guardian 9 and noticed that they dropped the 300 blackout subsonic off the list of calibers it would handle. Anybody know why for sure?

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    For sure, no, I don't know. What I do know is that HTA has had dealers mis-represent their products and people have purchased suppressors made by them that were for 9mm/7.62 and they wanted to use them on .300blk and they didn't work. I believe the owner of HTA even posted in one of the threads that they never said it was meant to support .300blk, went into detail about fluid dynamics as to why it wouldn't work and what not (really cool and helpful person imho). I think that one was a 7.62 Kestrel can or something along those lines, not the 9mm can. If I had to guess I would say that it would either be pressures aren't meant for rifle caliber or something to the effect of the above. Irregardless, if their website doesn't condone it, I wouldn't buy it/use it and expect everything to just "be ok." Best thing you can do is probably contact HTA, I'd do it in writing and get the official word direct from the horses mouth before you do something to void a warranty or just straight destroy your can.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    He told me in person that the 9 would supress subsonic loads in 300blk in a pistol. This was at the NRA hog roast at rousch. Wonder what changed?

digitalrebel80

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    New Whiteland
    Was looking at huntertown arms website, I have a guardian 9 and noticed that they dropped the 300 blackout subsonic off the list of calibers it would handle. Anybody know why for sure?
    I bet it is because they want you to use the Kestral 9 for it now.

He told me in person that the 9 would supress subsonic loads in 300blk in a pistol. This was at the NRA hog roast at rousch. Wonder what changed?
    They said that on YouTube too

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    That's weird. I had contacted them about using my Guardian 9 for subsonic .308 and they said it was okay. I've used it for that and it's been completely fine (and very quiet). I don't know why .300 BLK would be any different.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Told me via email that it wouldn't handle my 9mm SBR, that was a year or so ago, at the time, the Kestrel wasn't available. Went with Octane 9 & no regrets

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, if there is a lot of concern about this, maybe I should get a 5/8x24 adapter for my Coastal Gun subgun can, and save the Guardian 9 for my pistols. Or maybe a 5/8x24 piston for my Osprey 45, since those are explicitly rated for .300 BLK subsonic.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I bet it is because they want you to use the Kestral 9 for it now.

They said that on YouTube too

Is the Kestral available??

Told me via email that it wouldn't handle my 9mm SBR, that was a year or so ago, at the time, the Kestrel wasn't available. Went with Octane 9 & no regrets

Wow really?

Hmmm, I'm waiting on a stamp for a Guardian 9 to use on an M&P9, AR in 9mm, and an SBR 300BLK subsonic.

Me too.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    That's weird. I had contacted them about using my Guardian 9 for subsonic .308 and they said it was okay. I've used it for that and it's been completely fine (and very quiet). I don't know why .300 BLK would be any different.

Here is what the owner said concerning the Kestrel, I found it, it might explain why 300blk is different.

"Note: Full disclosure - I own Huntertown Arms and designed the Kestrel 7.62 AK silencer that is chock full of awesome when used as designed but doesn't do things it is not supposed to do very well, if at all.

You can't assume that subsonic ammunition is always (or ever) quieter than supersonic, regardless if whether a silencer is used or not.

Imagine a waterhose. If you turn it on with medium pressure, the stream of water stays together until gravity pulls it to the ground. Increase the pressure and the stream turns into a spray, with water droplets chaotically flailing about as soon as they leave the hose. If you placed a big cup right in front of the hose, the cup would capture more of the higher pressure spray than the stream. This is roughly the difference between super and sub sonic 300 Blackout. This is the best analogy I can come up with to explain the difference between supersonic and subsonic 300 Blackout. While this explaination is not entirely correct, it should give you a better idea of the principles than a bunch of math equations likely would.

Supersonic 300 Blackout fluiddynamics are similar to the 7.62x39 and not at all like subsonic 300 Blackout. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is designed for supersonic applications, and specifically for the AK platform shooting 7.62x39. That's what our website says. That's what our literature says. It will work with supersonic 300 Blackout because of the similarity to the 7.62x39. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is not a suitable subsonic 300 Blackout silencer, and we have never claimed it was. The blast chamber is too short to capture the explosive gases traveling tightly at slow speeds. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is great at what it does - suppressing AK47s shooting 7.62x39. That's it. It's not a multi-caliber, do-all silencer. It is the first application-specific silencer we designed and released. We've sold well over 1,000 of them in the past year, and have had a single complaint.

The Kestrel .308 is a superior silencer for subsonic application because of the extended blast chamber size and additional baffles. IT also works better with .308, because it has more volume to capture the additional hot gases generated."

Well, if there is a lot of concern about this, maybe I should get a 5/8x24 adapter for my Coastal Gun subgun can, and save the Guardian 9 for my pistols. Or maybe a 5/8x24 piston for my Osprey 45, since those are explicitly rated for .300 BLK subsonic.

There are a ton of options, I would seriously just contact HTA, it can't be that difficult to email, mail or call them and get a straight answer. Once you have that, you'll know for sure and can then take the necessary steps moving forward.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Here is what the owner said concerning the Kestrel, I found it, it might explain why 300blk is different.

"Note: Full disclosure - I own Huntertown Arms and designed the Kestrel 7.62 AK silencer that is chock full of awesome when used as designed but doesn't do things it is not supposed to do very well, if at all.

You can't assume that subsonic ammunition is always (or ever) quieter than supersonic, regardless if whether a silencer is used or not.

Imagine a waterhose. If you turn it on with medium pressure, the stream of water stays together until gravity pulls it to the ground. Increase the pressure and the stream turns into a spray, with water droplets chaotically flailing about as soon as they leave the hose. If you placed a big cup right in front of the hose, the cup would capture more of the higher pressure spray than the stream. This is roughly the difference between super and sub sonic 300 Blackout. This is the best analogy I can come up with to explain the difference between supersonic and subsonic 300 Blackout. While this explaination is not entirely correct, it should give you a better idea of the principles than a bunch of math equations likely would.

Supersonic 300 Blackout fluiddynamics are similar to the 7.62x39 and not at all like subsonic 300 Blackout. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is designed for supersonic applications, and specifically for the AK platform shooting 7.62x39. That's what our website says. That's what our literature says. It will work with supersonic 300 Blackout because of the similarity to the 7.62x39. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is not a suitable subsonic 300 Blackout silencer, and we have never claimed it was. The blast chamber is too short to capture the explosive gases traveling tightly at slow speeds. The Kestrel 7.62 AK is great at what it does - suppressing AK47s shooting 7.62x39. That's it. It's not a multi-caliber, do-all silencer. It is the first application-specific silencer we designed and released. We've sold well over 1,000 of them in the past year, and have had a single complaint.

The Kestrel .308 is a superior silencer for subsonic application because of the extended blast chamber size and additional baffles. IT also works better with .308, because it has more volume to capture the additional hot gases generated."

There are a ton of options, I would seriously just contact HTA, it can't be that difficult to email, mail or call them and get a straight answer. Once you have that, you'll know for sure and can then take the necessary steps moving forward.
    I don't even think the kestral 7.62 is good at suppressing AK's like he claims. I almost pulled the trigger on one until the dealer straight up told me it wasn't hearing safe! WTF?! Why would I drop any money on a can that's not hearing safe? Stupid

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Also huntertowns customer service sucks!! Why would I buy a suppressor from a company like that when there are all around better options. Don't skimp and take the cheap way out on a lifelong purchase unless it's truly the best bang for your buck. I had been a huge supporter of Steve and HT when other people weren't, however they themselves have turned me off. That's my opinion and I've also heard a lot of others saying the same thing without even giving my opinion.

menzzer37

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Noblesville
    If you think it sucks as a customer, they really don't care for you as a dealer. They won't respond to emails or calls... forget/refuse to file form 3s... It's a joke. Then they call and ask if you've seen their new Dolos system. WGAFF! Where are the cans I ordered 9 months ago??

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    If you think it sucks as a customer, they really don't care for you as a dealer. They won't respond to emails or calls... forget/refuse to file form 3s... It's a joke. Then they call and ask if you've seen their new Dolos system. WGAFF! Where are the cans I ordered 9 months ago??

I've heard similar from a local dealer, more than once.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    The issue with the G9 is that it is rated for subsonic 300 BLK, and too many people load in supersonics and think "oh, it'll be okay" until they trash the can.

I don't have problems out of HTA as a dealer. I always get what I need, and if it isn't done 100% the way it's promised Steve goes out of his way to make it right.

Top Bottom