NFA SBR's....Suppressors and Machine Guns. NEED SOME HELP.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Conundrum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Tinley Park
    Im moving from Illinois to Indiana, Im am tired of living in this communist state. Im 41 and never been in trouble. Hunting and target shooting since I was 12. Im looking at property right now in Lake and Porter Counties to build a new cabin on. 5+ acres with a pond behind it. Im looking for a town that is gun friendly and has a CLEO that is gun friendly also. I want to own SBR's, Suppressors and the occasional Machine Gun if the price is right. I also want to be able to shoot on my property. Can anyone help me out with some good information like what areas and towns to look at? I have been researching since Monday but I cant find a thing.

I go to town websites but cant find any info. I google words like NFA machine guns lake county Indiana and all I keep getting is some lake county deputy sheriffs that were charge with buying machine guns with department letter head and selling them on the street. I cant find anything helpful to me.

Conundrum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Tinley Park
    You guys just saved me a lot of researching....thank you. Now I just need to find an area would not not frown upon me shooting in my back yard. Sorry if the questions seem stupid guys. But I come from a state where we are not allowed to own this kinda stuff. I just received my C&R FFL and it allows me to own an SBR in Illinois but I cannot attach a trust to a C&R, it needs to be a cleo sign off. My attorney said "Good luck with that". Thats when I said that I had it thats it Im out of here.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Usually outside of city limits in most counties you can do those things. Good luck and welcome to a Free State :thumbsup:

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    Glad to hear you're getting out of Illinois while you still can! It seems from what I've read and heard that much of NWI, basically from South Bend to the IL state line suffers from many of the same stupidity that IL does except that Indiana state law preempts many local laws. But you still find significant anti-gun presence in CLEOs in that area.

But the NFA Trust is the way to go, no if's and's or but's! Quick and easy to setup, even easier than getting a cooperative CLEO sign-off, and you're all submitted!

Once you establish IN residency, you'll want to get an Indiana License to Carry Handgun or LTCH. Get the lifetime model and save the hassle of renewing. Also, no FOID needed to buy ammo. Indiana's not perfect, at least not yet, but the difference between Indiana and Illinois is major with respect to firearms rights.

Welcome to Indiana!

Conundrum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Tinley Park
    Glad to hear you're getting out of Illinois while you still can! It seems from what I've read and heard that much of NWI, basically from South Bend to the IL state line suffers from many of the same stupidity that IL does except that Indiana state law preempts many local laws. But you still find significant anti-gun presence in CLEOs in that area.

But the NFA Trust is the way to go, no if's and's or but's! Quick and easy to setup, even easier than getting a cooperative CLEO sign-off, and you're all submitted!

Once you establish IN residency, you'll want to get an Indiana License to Carry Handgun or LTCH. Get the lifetime model and save the hassle of renewing. Also, no FOID needed to buy ammo. Indiana's not perfect, at least not yet, but the difference between Indiana and Illinois is major with respect to firearms rights.

Welcome to Indiana!

I want to thank you and everyone else that replied to me on this issue. I am going with a gun trust instead of having a CLEO sign papers for me. I did hear the CLEO in Crown Point is pretty cool with sign the papers but I might not be going to Crown Point. Might be Valpo...who knows.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I live in Crown Point and Chief Land is cool with the sign-offs. He's done 6 for me. If you live in unincorporated parts of a town, you wouldn't be dealing with the chief though, you'd go through the county sheriff. Crown Point has an ordinance prohibiting discharge of firearms in town limits, which I assume most other towns have, do you'd be looking at unincorporated areas anyway. I don't know how the Lake and Porter County sheriffs are. Keep the sign off in the back of your mind because if the pending rules go into effect (41P), you would have to get a sign-off even with a trust.

I'm hoping a rep or senator will propose a shall sign bill so it won't matter who your chief or sheriff is.

Conundrum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Tinley Park
    I live in Crown Point and Chief Land is cool with the sign-offs. He's done 6 for me. If you live in unincorporated parts of a town, you wouldn't be dealing with the chief though, you'd go through the county sheriff. Crown Point has an ordinance prohibiting discharge of firearms in town limits, which I assume most other towns have, do you'd be looking at unincorporated areas anyway. I don't know how the Lake and Porter County sheriffs are. Keep the sign off in the back of your mind because if the pending rules go into effect (41P), you would have to get a sign-off even with a trust.

I'm hoping a rep or senator will propose a shall sign bill so it won't matter who your chief or sheriff is.

I heard I have to be an Indiana resident for a certain amount of time until you can apply for anything. Is that true? And how much does it usually run to set up a trust?

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown
    You have to establish residency so whatever is required to do that is what you need to do. Owning a house is a good way to do that and then getting an indiana drivers license. I don't think there is a 90 day or whatever requirement if you've done that. The trust may not help you if they start requiring signoffs for them too. As far as where you go to get a signoff it will depend on where you live. If you are planning on shooting in your backyard than you will have to be living outside of any town and that means you go see the sheriff who will be in the county seat which is in crownpoint. As far as the state is concerned you can shoot in your backyard if its safely done and you're on private property and if its legal where you live. Most towns have an ordinance against shooting within their limits hence my statement above about your signoffs. I don't know of any counties prohibiting shooting on private property. I can shoot in my yard though I don't do it much.
    Hope that helps and remember that lake county has gary in it and they are pretty much the chicago of indiana. Not sure what silly regs they have forced the county to enact.....

Frank

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Trusts run anywhere from the $99 do it yourself online kits to $300 to $500 for one from a lawyer (Grant Liston and Guy Relford seem to be the two top recommended Indiana lawyers for trusts here on INGO). I had Grant do mine. It was quick and easy, just a few minutes talking to him and then he sent the docs my way. After that, I just had to sign them and get them notarized and I was up and running.

If you are committed to moving to Indiana already, you can go ahead and probably get your trust set up now, while you are still looking. You just need to put like $1 in it to start it off (which is really just saying that if you die, $1 from your estate goes into the trust... not really any work there).

Conundrum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2015
    Tinley Park
    You have to establish residency so whatever is required to do that is what you need to do. Owning a house is a good way to do that and then getting an indiana drivers license. I don't think there is a 90 day or whatever requirement if you've done that. The trust may not help you if they start requiring signoffs for them too. As far as where you go to get a signoff it will depend on where you live. If you are planning on shooting in your backyard than you will have to be living outside of any town and that means you go see the sheriff who will be in the county seat which is in crownpoint. As far as the state is concerned you can shoot in your backyard if its safely done and you're on private property and if its legal where you live. Most towns have an ordinance against shooting within their limits hence my statement above about your signoffs. I don't know of any counties prohibiting shooting on private property. I can shoot in my yard though I don't do it much.
    Hope that helps and remember that lake county has gary in it and they are pretty much the chicago of indiana. Not sure what silly regs they have forced the county to enact.....

Frank

Yeah it was the same deal here in Illinois for my C&R FFL, I had to send the Sheriff his copy of the app since I live in an unincorporated area. I dont know exactly where I am going, I just dont want to move to far from Illinois because I want to keep my doctors there. Ill just come out and say it....I almost died a year ago and they saved my life and because of that I dont want to lose them even if it means driving an hour and a half to see them if I have to.

Is there anything I can do now to help try and stop any bills from going through that would keep us from using a trust for NFA firearms in Indiana?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Yeah it was the same deal here in Illinois for my C&R FFL, I had to send the Sheriff his copy of the app since I live in an unincorporated area. I dont know exactly where I am going, I just dont want to move to far from Illinois because I want to keep my doctors there. Ill just come out and say it....I almost died a year ago and they saved my life and because of that I dont want to lose them even if it means driving an hour and a half to see them if I have to.

Is there anything I can do now to help try and stop any bills from going through that would keep us from using a trust for NFA firearms in Indiana?

Doubt that's gonna happen. The trust thing is just a rumor right now and it's a regulation thing with the ATF, not really a Bill. It's still a better route even if you eventually have to get CLEO sign-off in terms of who can have possession and inheritance, etc.

jclayton762

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    mccordsville, in
    you might try Brown County . Or in the southern part of the state where you have some land with less neighbors. The State is very good about machine guns, suppressers. Indiana is a gun state.

Top Bottom