• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Since I was a wee little lad I always wanted an over / under short barreled shotgun.

Well today I bought a used one and hope to file my Form 1 the first of the week. But I have a couple questions about what people think.

I ordered another buttstock so I can do a whack job on this one, which is scratched up anyhow.

First question: What is a controllable barrel length? This is a 12 ga, single trigger. I plan to birds head the buttstock. This is not going to be a home defense gun. It will only be my go to gun for fun.

Second question: If I feel the need can I still put a full sized stock back on it? I figured it was like my SBR's and I could configure it however I wanted as long as it can go back to what is on the F1.

Third question: As mentioned I plan to birds head the burrstock. But that isn't set in stone. I realize it will not be as controllable this way so would it be better to hogs leg it instead? Guess I can hog it first then bird it if I don't like it.

Fourth question (and last for the moment): After the cut down I thought about having the entire thing cerekoted. If I have a pro do it how will this work out as far as NFA is concerned? Do I need to have the barrel separately from the receiver so no violations? Would I need to just stay with it while the work is being done?

I am pretty excited about this project. Any input or guidance would be appreciated.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Holy Cow!!!!

I was thinking a lot longer than that but those look splendid.

Wonder how they shoot? That looks like four inches of barrel beyond the shell.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I would love to find out.
    I'm a shotgun guy. I have been black and blue from shooting 12ga in all different configurations. Semis are generally easier on the recoil and everything else is pretty much the same. Unless they have any recoil devices added and/or butt pads. I prefer none of those. Just raw 12ga.

Other thing to change recoil is weight....or the lack of.
    Now picture the same O/U but in 10ga. Oh Ya! :rockwoot:

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I don't know that I can answer your questions except for maybe some help on #4. I've had Cerakote done on a couple of SBS and took it to someone who is both FFL and does the Cerakote (AllenM here on INGO - Indy/Avon area). If you can find someone like that near you it might work the best.

I did this work a few months ago on my O/U that will be an SBS at some point. I've not had time to work on it lately so that is as far as I got on the wood. I intend to leave the wood forend intact so the barrels will be cut to just past the wood which will then be 12.5" or maybe 12.25". It's a 20 gauge.

OU%20SBS%20StockWork%201_zpsjtc8dgzr.jpg

OU%20SBS%20StockWork%202_zpsmwtmtxz7.jpg

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I guess a 20 would be much easier to use than a 12, but I like the big boom.

So you took NFA items to him and no worries? That was what I was hoping to hear.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Got the new buttstock in. Will hack the old one and see what I think.

This weekend has me submitting my newest Form 1.

Here is another question though:

Do I need to send the updated Schedule Of Firearms Property sheet from my trust?

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Got the new buittstock in. Will hack the old one and see what I think.

This weekend has me submitting my newest Form 1.

Here is another question though:

Do I need to send the updated Schedule Of Firearms Property sheet from my trust?

I would. I don't know if it is necessary, but everything on that schedule, the ATF already knows about (at least mine). No reason to take any chances IMO.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Didn't know if sending a new page in would cause a delay. They know what's on there for sure. First was a Form 4 and then when I did my last Form 1 it was electronically. I will pdf the last page and send it again.... just to be safe.

tripwire96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Fishers

I'm no expert, but have been told that the ATF are not Trust Lawyers. They are not going to go over your Trust with a fine toothed comb. I have submitted several Form 1s with the same Trust .pdf and have never had any issues. I do make sure my original paperwork is up to date.

I wouldn't risk paperwork delay on your stamp by clouding the waters.

hmaverick

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2014
    Greenfield, IN
    I always include an updated schedule with mine and especially include all of my previously approved Nfa items. I don't imagine it would hold you up though if you didn't.

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Not a lawyer or close to it . . . Since obtaining my Trust last Summer I've e-filed multiple Form 1's and used the original scanned copy of the Trust with a schedule that shows only the "funding" of the trust with $1. Right or wrong I've not had any problems or delays with approvals. I do update my original copy as I go.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well my new stock was a bust... seems to have been cut for a different gun.

Want to file my Form 1 this weekend...

Can anybody help me out on length? I figured I would keep the buttstock as is for now. If I hack it down later do I need to inform ATF the same as you are asked to for an SBR?

Difference will be that since I have not been able to find a replacement stock I will not be able to switch it back to the longer length.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Estimate shortest length you think you will use, and list it on the form1.

That said, remember, you are following the law by putting the gun in the NFA registry as a SBS. Any .gov agent that sees that you have jumped through the proper hoops to have such an item, will more than likely, once seeing the approved form 1, not care what the actual length is. Especially if it is a tad bit longer than specified.

YMMV

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Well I have the form filled out.

I got all the info in there but will wait to pay until after I get it engraved.

Put it down as 12.5" barrels and 21.5" overall. That would be with the stock cut to a pistol type grip.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Submitted the Form 1 with my payment. So now the wait begins.... what are Form 1 e-file wait times now?

I stopped in this morning where I will have the chop and engrave done. They saw no problems with either, which I didn't think they would, so they are eagerly awaiting my return.

Now I am going to start getting quotes for refinishing this brute once all else is done. Guess I could do it myself, but not sure I want to test my lack of skills on an NFA item.

Top Bottom