• ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Does anyone else own an OSS suppressor? Do you have a have pic of the internals fully disassembled?

I have the OSS TAV-SD (BPR1200/SRM6). I have disassembled to this point but I think it breaks down further?
    View attachment 50368

Any pics, diagrams, instructions would be helpful.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    That thing is funky. How do you like it?

Best suppressor I own. The YouTube videos from OSS are not hype or BS. It works as described, period.
    My 5.56 Tavor with can is much more quiet than my un-suppressed 10/22. In fact, it sounds like a nail gun.

They are however, not inexpensive. Even if I had not gotten such a deal on this one, I would still buy it again...but it would have taken me much longer to come up with the $$$. But YES, I would buy it again, without hesitation.

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I just picked up a Helix. I will be putting it on my meter and reporting the numbers in a future video. I like the concept, I will say they're attachment method to the rifle leaves much to be desired. I hear they're working on a QD solution that simplifies the process. It seems to be quality and it does reduce back pressure. How much is difficult to measure but it is noticeable to me. I will also put it on the thermal and test it against a peer like the Omega to see if it truly reduces heat build up as well.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Since the Helix is a Gen 5 (and mine is a Gen 4) I am interested in what you come up with.
    The more I shoot with it on, the more I like it. I especially like not having so much blowback gas in my face compared to other suppressors I have tried. That might just be my favorite thing about the OSS.

thomasred5

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 15, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I've been desperate for one of these but, I have a YHM titanium. Mine sits at 13oz, which changes my POI minimally. I wish these guys would make a lighter titanium version, I would buy them in bulk if they did !
    Best suppressor I own. The YouTube videos from OSS are not hype or BS. It works as described, period.
    My 5.56 Tavor with can is much more quiet than my un-suppressed 10/22. In fact, it sounds like a nail gun.

They are however, not inexpensive. Even if I had not gotten such a deal on this one, I would still buy it again...but it would have taken me much longer to come up with the $$$. But YES, I would buy it again, without hesitation.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    K, thats pretty cool. While I'm not in the market, I'd love to talk a friend into buying one so I could play with it.. Thanks for posting!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Pretty cool! I have always like these, but I've never gotten to shoot one. When they first were being released I saw lots of concerns about life or longevity... What do you think about it STFU? I like how it self tightens and the way it really does appear to work, the new breaks are sweet for sure too. I would like to see a lower price, and play with the QD options before buying though for sure. Right now I'm so partial to the Dead Air attachment system, especially now that I can convert my SiCo cans over with the new KyMo that Dead Air now has, and only have to have one QD break from here on out (unless I start buying other brand rifle cans that is).

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    So you bring up a good point. These are definitely not a quick on/off. In fact the directions indicate that the FHMB (flash hider muzzle brake) portion should be attached to the barrel with red Loctite. From the installation manual: "3) Slide the FHMB over the barrel and tighten lightly in order to test proper fit. Once confirmed, apply 2 drops of red Loctite to the barrel threads, slide the FHMB over the barrel and tighten with the tool supplied ."

I don't know that I will be going that far. What I do know is that when I leave only the FHMB on the barrel, it is the same length as having the factory flash suppressor on. In short, it does not change the length overall. The downside to this is that all of the "vanes" on the internal piece are exposed. I don't worry about the vanes getting bent, but I do worry about them catching on clothing, brush, etc.

The birdcage is the one piece that will take all of the abuse and degrade over time. It is essentially the end of the blast chamber. They tell me this is the one piece that is user replaceable.
    IMAG1956e2.jpg

I can email the Installation Manual if you are interested.

Last edited:

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    It helps to find a dealer that special ordered for a customer and then the customer did not get approved. I'll gladly take those scraps, thank you! ;-)
    (I paid far, far less than retail...)

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Performed in what way? You question is very vague.

I have had no issues with the 556 can. I like enough that I bought an HX-QD 762 Ti model for my 300BLK pistol.

That said, the older 556 model seems to have more overall suppression than the newer 762 model.
    I believe, it is more noticeable difference because 556 is much louder than 300BLK to begin with.
    (I also have 5 other cans but the OSS are my favorites.)

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    That's basically what I wanted to know. I was considering the HX-QD 762 Ti model as well, so I'm glad they have performed and that OSS are your favorites.

Having someone who have owned and experienced them give feedback is always more useful to me.

Performed in what way? You question is very vague.

I have had no issues with the 556 can. I like enough that I bought an HX-QD 762 Ti model for my 300BLK pistol.

That said, the older 556 model seems to have more overall suppression than the newer 762 model.
    I believe, it is more noticeable difference because 556 is much louder than 300BLK to begin with.
    (I also have 5 other cans but the OSS are my favorites.)

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I will make the same offer to you that I have made to others (and one has taken me up on the offer):

I live in the Indy area, but work in DC. I will be home briefly for the Thanksgiving holiday.
    If you want to meet at a range in the Indy area and you supply ammo (factory loads only), you are welcome to shoot either of my OSS cans.
    PM me for an appointment.

Top Bottom