• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I stopped in Mid West range in Elkhart today.
    I seen their special, $75.00 to fire a100 rounds through a MP5.
    I requested 4 2x3 ft. targets.
    The salesman loaded up 4 mags.
    Under very close supervision by him the whole time.
    He carefully instructed me how to use and handle it.
    He ran the first target 10 to 15 ft down range.
    Told to hold low.
    lock and load and release safety off.
    I fired 4 rounds down range semiauto to get the feel of it.
    Very smooth, slight recoil and rise.
    Moved to full auto.
    Shot off 5 or 6 round bursts.
    Very controllable.
    90% inside torso from "X" down.
    I had 2 or 3 jams.
    Next mag. I moved the target to 30 ft.
    I shot longer bursts.
    Again 90% + "X" down and inside the torso.
    again 3 or 4 jams.
    Moved target down to 50ft.
    next mag a bit longer bursts.
    same results.
    purchased another 100 rounds.
    because of the continue jams.
    The salesman took the weapon off range.
    I do not know if he returned with the same or different .
    Still had jams every mag.
    It was total fun.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've never shot one full auto but I can imagine how fun it would be! I've wanted to get my hands a suppressed one with a sear for a long time. I think it would be a dream to shoot. Glad to hear you had a good time though, hopefully next time they will do something about the jams especially paying like that for it. Have you shot full auto before?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    You still had a good time, but it sounds as if those particular MP5s have issues.
    FWIW, I fired or watched other Gunner's Mates fire well north of 1K rounds (probably more like 2K-3K, but it's impossible to keep track) out of our M2HBs (the "Ma Deuce") and probably double that number out of our M60s, and we had not a single hickup, and those are both belt-fed.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I've never shot one full auto but I can imagine how fun it would be! I've wanted to get my hands a suppressed one with a sear for a long time. I think it would be a dream to shoot. Glad to hear you had a good time though, hopefully next time they will do something about the jams especially paying like that for it. Have you shot full auto before?

yes, 45 Thomson, M14 and UZI. the UZI was a trip. After the second trigger pull. It went full auto on its own. I actually kept checking my finger to make sure it was off the trigger.

Take some time to check out Midwest in Elkhart, In.
    I bit of good advice. Put the address into a GPS. It is tucked back in no-were land.

Last edited:

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I have been privileged to send a couple thousand rounds down range with a MP5 over my lifetime and they are incredibly smooth shooting. Considered by many to be the "Cadillac" of the submachingun world, you made a good decision. It's not fun to encounter malfunctions when trying to enjoy full-auto fire, but it happens more often than one may think (since most of these machine guns are over 30 years old with tens of thousands of rounds downrange). My guess would be the bolt assembly is out of spec - an easy but expensive fix with the purchase of an entire new assembly or a couple new rollers.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have had the chance to fire several different MP5's in my life. Many because I USED to take care of the Bloomington IL PD's firearms before the hired themselves an armorer. Had to make sure things were fixed and running right after repairs ya know. They are mighty fine weapons IMO. I have fired MANY Select Fire weapons and the MP5 is one of my faves. I do have other faves too, belt feds will be my all time favorites but I do like the MP5.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Take some time to check out Midwest in Elkhart, In.
    I bit of good advice. Put the address into a GPS. It is tucked back in no-were land.

Nah. Piece of cake. I've been going there since it was opened as Shooters in the early 90's.

But yes. It's in an industrial park and can be easy to miss. Google Map it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The MP5 is on my "lottery money" list, for sure.

Fired another one a few weeks ago. Some kind of fun.

The Uzi was a heck of a lot of fun, too. Same end result as the MP5, just a different way of achieving it.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Sounds like that gun had some poor maintenance or crap for ammo. The extractor spring could be weak or over sprung not holding the extractor firmly, which will cause frequent jams. Also if they get real dirty they can get finicky. They are no fun to get clean.

If maintained properly they run nice as Tactically Fat found out a few weeks ago with a MP5k-n. :)

Sounds like you had fun.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Those guns should perform better than that, I had one for several years back in the 80s and 90s, but never had jams like you're describing.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I've fired the MP5K full auto and had no trouble with it. The little bugger wanted to climb up and right on me but the recoil of the 9mm is very manageable. I'd definitely like to try an UMP45.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've fired the MP5K full auto and had no trouble with it. The little bugger wanted to climb up and right on me but the recoil of the 9mm is very manageable. I'd definitely like to try an UMP45.

Granted, we are different people, but I've not had issues with the MP5 wanting to climb on me. But I suppose it would if I let it.

the Uzi, on the other hand, with it's relatively slow cyclic weight and overall heft - like a laser beam.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My first firearm I ever shot was a full auto MP5. Needless to say it did climb on me at the time (gosh, this was probably 14 years ago now).

But everytime I have shot it since, I have been amazed how controllable it actually is (especially now that I know what I am doing)

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around

Granted, we are different people, but I've not had issues with the MP5 wanting to climb on me. But I suppose it would if I let it.

the Uzi, on the other hand, with it's relatively slow cyclic weight and overall heft - like a laser beam.

I don't know if you noticed, but he said MP5K and not just MP5. The K is shorter and has a higher rate of fire.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    If I were renting machineguns a gun would come off the line on the second jam and the shooter would get his money back. That's insane. Anything can choke once but you're claiming 2 or 3 or 4 malfs per magazine? You're definitely not getting what you paid for. Glad you had fun tho.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    If I were renting machineguns a gun would come off the line on the second jam and the shooter would get his money back. That's insane. Anything can choke once but you're claiming 2 or 3 or 4 malfs per magazine? You're definitely not getting what you paid for. Glad you had fun tho.

I was thinking the same thing.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I have had the chance to fire several different MP5's in my life. Many because I USED to take care of the Bloomington IL PD's firearms before the hired themselves an armorer. Had to make sure things were fixed and running right after repairs ya know. They are mighty fine weapons IMO. I have fired MANY Select Fire weapons and the MP5 is one of my faves. I do have other faves too, belt feds will be my all time favorites but I do like the MP5.

A local PD in a very gun-unfriendly state has MP5's? Shocking.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I shot about 250 rounds through an MP5SD in burst and mag dumps, but never had malfunctions. Soooo fun!

Top Bottom