• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I realized that I had two outstanding forms that have been submitted for nearly 9 months. Looking at the NFA tracker, it appears forms from April are showing up, so I thought I would call into the ATF and see what was going on.

Got to talk to an extremely rude lady (par for the course with these guys), who, after being given the serial numbers, claimed there was nothing in the system at all. She told me that they had input everything in received since July 19th and told me that I needed to verify when the checks were cashed. Since I went through a dealer, I'm contacting them to double check, but I'm about 99% positive the forms went into the mail on March 28th. I even think I remember the dealer telling me the checks were cashed back in April or May, but I'm double checking with them to verify (as my memory isn't the best) and get the actual dates.

I swear I hate dealing with these mother@$@%#$ piece of @#$#$ bureaucrats. In what universe is the way they operate considered acceptable customer service? Oh wait, that's right, since they are the government, they can do whatever they want and we have no alternatives.

I would scream and curse at the top of my lungs if I wasn't sitting in my office at work. :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

9 frickin months possibly down the drain.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    There is some .gov workers out there that are convinced every federal, state and local government employee will be fired in Trumps first 100 days. Maybe some at the ATF have gone and gave up already.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have had limited experience needing help from them but I did not have the same experience. One of my forms had an edit that I called them for and it was resolved smoothly.

They were.... cold, I guess, but professional. Not the same vibe as if I call a customer service line for something I purchased, but about what I would expect from a credit card company dealing with an issue.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Muncie
    I have made several calls over the last year checking on the status of forms filed. The staff has always been professional and pleasant enough on my calls. The delay definitely sucks, but they have never been rude.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, in talking to my dealer, we have verification that it was shipped and received via USPS. He's still waiting on the bank to provide archived transactions to see when/if the checks were cashed.

So, either the ATF lost the forms entirely, including the checks, or they cashed the checks, took the money, and then screwed up entering the data. Either way, it is completely ridiculous.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The entire process is ridiculous, and I truly believe that it is purposely done so, in order to discourage ownership. The only way something could be so poorly ran, is if it's government related. I'm currently in NFA purgatory too, so I feel your pain.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I hate to hear that. They (.gov) are the only ones that can get away with that crap. Downright makes you mad.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    From my own past dealings with the NFA branch, they have been nothing but professionals. They are contractors, mostly, not .gov employees.

I would suggest get all of your facts sorted out, call them again.

The PO Box your dealer and all the rest of us sending the forms to, is a Bank of America facility where the bank employees open up the mail to deposit checks, except those who use credit cards.

I always mail my own forms with western union money orders I bought from Kroger. Just so I can easily following up, by myself.

$H!T happens, get it fixed as best as you can.

Good luck.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Stop, breath, relax.........

You are in what I call ATF Limbo, it's common to me. I cant explain why it happens but it does.

And I'm in in right now too.

I have 3 pending form 1's. I called on them yesterday.
    Two were mailed on April 7, CC charged on April 19 and are currently pending.
    When the lady ran the 3rd serial number she said no such number was in the system.
    The third form was mailed on July 19, and the CC charged July 28th
    When I called in September about the two forms mailed in April they told me they couldn't find them in the system.
    Having had this happen to me b4 on a form 1 LAST YEAR I didn't panic.
    If this is your first time having paperwork in limbo I can see your concern.

My advice, from experience, relax... they got it, they're working on it, things like this take time.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    For your own peace of mind call back and request the info again. I had the same situation with a rude woman telling me almost exactly what you described noting the timeframe for dates, not in the system that she could see, likely a form problem etc etc. Told me to call back with check info. I was wound up and pissed off like WTH?? I called back with my check cashed information a week later and found I was in the system, didn't even need the check dates... I swear the woman (Gail?) was just screwing with me on the first call for jollies.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I hope they get worked out by the Spring INGO shoot at PROteq.
    Give me a chance to check them out and maybe shoot them.

THIS time I will bring my HK94 and 21 to see if your trigger pack will make them go super speed. :ar15:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, sadly, I don't think this is going to go well.

The dealer found confirmation that the forms were delivered on April 1st. However, in going back to check with the bank, it doesn't appear that the checks were ever cashed. So the ATF apparently just flat out lost the forms. Now, if they have taken the money, I think I would have had some leverage. However, I don't have high hopes now.

I'm calling them back today. I guess I'll find out if they are willing to do anything.

Edit: Called in a few minutes ago and talked to a much nicer woman. She transferred me over to a Scott (didn't catch the last name), who wasn't in. So I left a detailed voicemail for him. Hopefully he'll get back to me.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I hope they get worked out by the Spring INGO shoot at PROteq.
    Give me a chance to check them out and maybe shoot them.

THIS time I will bring my HK94 and 21 to see if your trigger pack will make them go super speed. :ar15:

Wait, you have an HK21 beltfed .308 and you didn't bring it to the shoot? Come on, man. :D

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Wait, you have an HK21 beltfed .308 and you didn't bring it to the shoot? Come on, man. :D

If so, stuff might get real at the next shoot! I've got a few 100 round belts of straight Lake City ball and straight Lake City tracer. I think that your sear, Warthog's gun, and my ammo need to meet up :): :rockwoot: :ar15:

moose97

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2015
    Hoagland
    Edit: Called in a few minutes ago and talked to a much nicer woman. She transferred me over to a Scott (didn't catch the last name), who wasn't in. So I left a detailed voicemail for him. Hopefully he'll get back to me.
    Hold on - you've had an extra $400 in your checking account for 9 months? And never noticed? Uh, balance much?

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Hold on - you've had an extra $400 in your checking account for 9 months? And never noticed? Uh, balance much?

I didn't write the checks. The dealer did. Now, you can apply the same question to them, but I'm guessing a small business is fluid enough in their transactions that they didn't notice, especially given how long vendors often take to bill and process payments.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The ATF called me back, which I appreciate.

Unfortunately, I'm basically completely SOL. As mentioned up thread, the PO Box that the forms go to is actually managed by Bank of America, who do the payment processing for the ATF. After they process the payment, they send the forms to the NFA branch. So, it appears, since the checks weren't cashed, that BoA screwed up and lost the forms.

So, I'm right back at square 1, with 9 months wasted. I'll be refiling the forms and then trying to forget about the SD and suppressor for another 8 to 9 months (other than calling to make sure they actually cash the @#$%ing checks and receive the forms).

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Have you heard the one about the government worker who was fired for poor job performance?

Neither have I.
    :patriot:

I have personally participated in two attempts to fire federal civil service employees, and observed a couple other attempts up close. None were successful in terminating the employee for cause, altho in the two cases I participated, ultimately the employees left civil service.

It is difficult. See "Merit Systems Protection Board." Better yet, The Donald and Congress should take a look at it.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    The ATF called me back, which I appreciate.

Unfortunately, I'm basically completely SOL. As mentioned up thread, the PO Box that the forms go to is actually managed by Bank of America, who do the payment processing for the ATF. After they process the payment, they send the forms to the NFA branch. So, it appears, since the checks weren't cashed, that BoA screwed up and lost the forms.

So, I'm right back at square 1, with 9 months wasted. I'll be refiling the forms and then trying to forget about the SD and suppressor for another 8 to 9 months (other than calling to make sure they actually cash the @#$%ing checks and receive the forms).

That's why I always handle the forms myself, except when buying from Silencershop, they are a different animal.

It's not because I don't trust the dealers, it's because I care about my forms more than they do. They have a business to run and their own lives to live.

I double check the filled forms, take pictures of all pages, the priority mail label, and Western Union Moeny Order. Then I drop it off at post office counter, to a clerk. I track the package, and the Money Order. Postal Money Order is a pain to track, WU is a breeze. I keep the photos till the items are approved and in my hands.

I filed 7 paper forms so far this year, all pre-41F. Your situation right now is what I was afraid.

Don't use credit card, my cards have been replaced 4 times this year without any advance notice. You can't call in to change your CC numbers.

Good luck man, I know it sucks.

Top Bottom