• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    Has a law enforcement agent ever measured the barrel of your rifle? Checked to see if your flash hider was pinned and welded? Questioned you about your suppressor? Asked to see your tax stamp? Inspected your trust paperwork? Questioned the legality of the setup of your weapon?

If you've ever had that kind of encounter with LE regarding an NFA item, what were the circumstances?

I'm honestly curious.

:ingo:

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I went to a tactical rifle training class in Ohio back in October and they check's people's NFA paperwork and required the out of state transport permit too.

I hear about people being checked, but never seen it happen around here.
    having an illegal SBR is not worth the risk of 25 years in prison so why poke the bear?

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Abiding by "house rules" when it comes to ranges or training classes is totally legal. Their house their rules, you have an option there to leave if you don't like it. I'm curious what people are going to respond as far as LEO acting in their official capacity

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The only time I've ever been asked to show paperwork was at Point Blank in Carmel. I essentially told them to pound sand and left. Yes, their house and their rules but I "voted" with my money and left the establishment.
    Dan

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The only time I've ever been asked to show paperwork was at Point Blank in Carmel. I essentially told them to pound sand and left. Yes, their house and their rules but I "voted" with my money and left the establishment.
    Dan
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you take that stance? I'm just curious

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Dan

IMO this is an overreaction. I too have been asked to show paperwork for my SBR and cans at Point Blank. But the guy who asked barely even looked at the forms. He definitely was not looking to glean confidential info off them. They just want to protect themselves against having people running illegal weapons in their store.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    IMO this is an overreaction. I too have been asked to show paperwork for my SBR and cans at Point Blank. But the guy who asked barely even looked at the forms. He definitely was not looking to glean confidential info off them. They just want to protect themselves against having people running illegal weapons in their store.

What is the proper cause of their suspicion? A SBR itself is just as legal as any full length rifle their customers brought in. Unless they are running background checks on everybody, they are not protecting themselves from anything.

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I would think that one reason they might be asking to see paperwork is for insurance reasons. I am sure that the insurance for the range instructs the business to ensure illegal firearms are not being used. Along with ensuring only qualified individuals are using weapons at the range. They might feel as though "checking" paperwork for certain items helps to ensure they are compliant for insurance purposes and not law enforcement purposes.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    SBR is legal. Do car repair shops check every customer for valid driver's license when they bring a car for service?

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    If they wanted to be sure that no one is using "illegal" weapons they need to run every serial number of every gun that goes to their range. Plus do a background check on each person. I asked if he saw the paperwork for the people in the line in front of me and he said no, they said they were shooting hand guns. I asked how he didn't know there was and AOW or pistol with a stock in the case and if he even looked at the guns. He said he didn't.
    I didn't "over-react". I reacted in kind to his temperament and demeanor. When he said it's policy I reminded him of some policies from the 1950's and 60's. He then said all ranges are required to see it. This I knew was a flagrant lie. As LJK basically said it's not a document they should have access to unless they are IRS or ATF.
    Do a search on here for NFA and Point Blank. There are multiple threads about it. Even one from a mod on here who was threatened by the RO. PB is a flippin' joke.
    Dan

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    I like how people on here want to discuss or argue about personal freedoms and "sensitive tax documents" (what a joke) yet they get all sensitive when a private business has rules they make customers follow. We want our personal freedoms but that private business better not make me do things. If we don't like the rules the private business has, then don't spend your money at that business. Very simple. Or you could go online and complain about a business running a certain way and not liking the rules the company has in place.

Last edited:

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I like how people on here want to discuss or argue about personal freedoms and "sensitive tax documents" (what a joke) yet they get all sensitive when a private business has rules they make customers follow. We want our personal freedoms but that private business better not make me do things. If we don't like the rules the private business has, then don't spend your money at that business. Very simple. Or you could go online and complain about a business running a certain way and not liking the rules the company has in place.

You seem to have not realized that is exactly what's gone on here. If you went to Wal Mart and the cashier demanded to see your Soc Sec card are you gonna show it?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    Dan

You must have missed the part where he said "their house their rules". He expressed his displeasure at the rule and left all while acknowledging their right to have that rule.

Myself, I won't go to ranges that won't allow me to shoot my reloads. They say they do it for insurance reasons (I can't verify and won't argue) so I don't spend my money there. If I happen to express that dissatisfaction online, I see no problem with that.

As to LEO enforcement, I can't say that I've personally ever heard of anyone being challenged by LEOs about their NFA firearms. Granted, I don't have a large circle of NFA owning friends so that could have something to do with it. Given that probable cause would be needed in the first place, what circumstances would lead to such an event during normal interactions?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Back in the 80s during an informal get together at old Atterbury with about 40 shooters. Looking west we could see about 10 ISP cars and a CO coming east towards the range. They all pull in, announce over speaker for us to unload and get paperwork out. Polite, professional, and courteous, afterwards they started shooting some of the guns when invited to do so. Must have just been a slow day.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Never had anyone ask to see my paperwork, then again I don't shoot at ranges.

Even shoot with a family member, distant by marriage who is DEA, he never asked.

Don

Top Bottom