• ...and so much more!
  • Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    So, the other week I went downtown to IMPD HQ to get fingerprints done for a new suppressor I've acquired. Because of the new regs, as I have a trust, I know I need to collect fingerprints and pictures of the responsible parties (me in this case and only me).

First of all, they question why I was even there, because "I thought they got rid of that requirement' (the person doing fingerprints). Then, when I asked about how I should do the notification of local law enforcement, they had no idea what I was talking about. After talking to 3 different people, they determined the person that would know wasn't there and that I should call her later.

Upon doing some more research and more carefully reading the ATF documentation, if I understand correctly, I still file the normal Form 4 in duplicate with my trust, with the addition of listing the responsible parties. Then, I fill out two copies of the new Form 5320.23 The National Firearms Act Responsible Person Questionaire, one of which goes with my Form 4s, along with the pictures and fingerprints to the ATF, and then the other one (which doesn't have a space for Serial Number or picture, but does collect make and caliber of the item being transferred) gets sent to my local CLEO.

Does that sound right? Has anyone been through this yet? I tried calling IMPD back, that person I need to talk to (after explaining the situation to yet another person) is still not there.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    And someone on INGO tried to tell me that the paperwork wasn't a hassle...

Because it's not

For CLEO notification you can mail, fax, hand deliver, carrier pigeon, etc the Cleo copy of the form 1/4 and responsible person questionnaire (each responsible person may have a different CLEO and needs separate notification) to your local law enfotecment.

As long as you make an attempt to do it you're okay. They'll probably mail the forms back or trash them, they're not required to keep them or do anything to them. ATF just wants them "notified" somehow

Top Bottom