What is the *real* appeal of supressors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    If suppressors were suddenly removed from the NFA list, would they still be as popular?
    I get the feeling that much of the appeal of suppressors is that the government says you shouldn't have them. Yes, they do reduce Db levels, but they also reduce the performance of the firearm (or so I have been told). They are kind of clunky (especially on pistols) and are highly over priced. I can buy a pretty nice rifle/pistol for the cost of a suppressor.

So what exactly is the appeal (aside from the fact that the government says that they are evil)?

On a side note, what if the Democrats introduced a bill that ALL firearms had to be equipped with suppressors that reduced the Db level to some ridiculas degree? (It is for the children!).

I almost wish that I was a newbie trying to get the to magical 25 post thingie so I could make use of the classifieds! I think this might do it. :-)

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I use them a lot for shooting with the grand kids. By not having ear pro in they don't get the feeling I'm "shouting" at them. We can speak in normal tones and volume. It lets them focus more on the mechanics. After they are proficient the cans come off and the ear pro goes on. Using the cans also help to reduce flinching due to the lack of the loud bark. (I also use them to train adults. It's surprising how many of them aren't afraid of a gun when it has a can on it. Same results as with the kids.)
    Dan

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I get the "pew pew" vs "BANG BANG", but there is also the "$1- $50" (for ear pro) vs the "$1,000+" (for a can).

There's also $50 guns and $5000 guns. It's because I want one and they make shooting a hell of a lot more fun and I hate wearing ear pro

And who told you they reduce a firearms performance?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'd love to go hunting an not have to think if I want to have a terrible experience with electronic ears in the woods or damage my hearing.

Good quality .22 cans are $250. Now when I'm out shooting with my nephews, we don't need 5x $50 in hearing protection. Looks like a dollar even trade. :)

Personally, I'd love to play around on my lathe with various designs, when I wouldn't have to go for a tax stamp for each one before I start. That would bring the cost down to materials. With my current finances, that might be the only one I would be able to afford as a "fun" shooting option.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Shooting the 22lr without hearing protection is very very nice and makes plinking more enjoyable. Also I use my 30 can on my 223 AR and it really takes the bite off of shooting the AR, I"ve shot since I was 8 years old and heard enough big booms for one lifetime.

Plus I have become much much more sensitive about my hearing, My dad and several pears are almost deaf and it is infuriating trying to talk to them and I don't want to be like that

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I live in Marion county, but somewhat out in the country. If the sun comes out tomorrow and it warms up, when I go outside I'll hear gun shots. Shooting suppressed won't disturb my neighbors, like they disturb me. :)

Suppessors arent that expensive, and are well worth the cost. The accessories to adapt the can to ten different weapons is what adds up. $75 dollar pistons, $250 dollar 3 lug adaptors, multiple end caps, fixed barrel spacers, it all adds up to more than the price of the $500 can.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I live in Marion county, but somewhat out in the country. If the sun comes out tomorrow and it warms up, when I go outside I'll hear gun shots. Shooting suppressed won't disturb my neighbors, like they disturb me. :)

Suppessors arent that expensive, and are well worth the cost. The accessories to adapt the can to ten different weapons is what adds up. $75 dollar pistons, $250 dollar 3 lug adaptors, multiple end caps, fixed barrel spacers, it all adds up to more than the price of the $500 can.

Accessorizing is always the hidden expense.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Suppressors do not reduce performance. There are competition long range shooters that use them. Personally, I'm to the point that I'd rather not shoot without a suppressor, the noise reduction makes it more pleasant to shoot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Noise. Maybe not so much in the city where people don't randomly discharge guns just for the fun of it, but for country-bred folk, it can get annoying when Tater, Dobber, or Odell decide to shoot crap up on a Saturday night after putting down a gallon of whisky.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Noise. Maybe not so much in the city where people don't randomly discharge guns just for the fun of it, but for country-bred folk, it can get annoying when Tater, Dobber, or Odell decide to shoot crap up on a Saturday night after putting down a gallon of whisky.

Um...wow. I'll keep my comments to myself to avoid mod involvement.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Um...wow. I'll keep my comments to myself to avoid mod involvement.

Tater- My HS football tackle, Craig "Tater" Whitlock, Dobber - My HS first baseman, Dustin "Dirt Dobber" Byrd, Odell - My dad's brother, also known as my uncle.
    Me - country bred, from Enterprise Alabama.
    Please make your comment to show how small your worldview is.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How about when something goes bump in the night and you have to defend yourself in a confined area in your home? With your family nearby?

/thread/

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Tater- My HS football tackle, Craig "Tater" Whitlock, Dobber - My HS first baseman, Dustin "Dirt Dobber" Byrd, Odell - My dad's brother, also known as my uncle.
    Me - country bred, from Enterprise Alabama.
    Please make your comment to show how small your worldview is.

That's ok, I won't take the bait.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He only comments when there is a political, race, or economic issue involved, not when we talk about actual gun things. :)

Who mentioned race, AARon? Slow night of trolling that you need to look for something to be upset about?

Top Bottom