• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I'll keep this quick, which is pretty easy as I don't have a whole lot of info. I built a Form 1 close to a year ago, sourcing most of my parts from place called SD Tactical. Works great, wonderful machining, etc. I liked it so well I filed for another Form 1 to build another one. The other Form 1 1 was approved a little while ago, so I went back to SD Tactical to do some shopping. As i turns out, SD Tactical (maybe more companies, not sure) were raided by ATF. According to SD Tactical's FB Page it was because the ATF said their products "worked too well". I don't know about any of that, I just thought it was interesting. I solvent traps seen as a peculiar product to many, and it won't be much of a surprise to some that they are having issues, but for the rather large community of people who build Form 1 cans, this is a big hit.
    Pretty bummed as a few days ago I had a shopping cart full of stuff I SHOULD have ordered but didn't.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I was unaware of this happening. I built the outside of a Form 1 can with their stuff and am happy with it.

I have two more cans waiting for permission and was planning to go the same route with those.

Wish I had ordered the parts early.

Will start looking to see who else got hit. This is kind of silly in my opinion. But maybe if the Hearing Protection Act gets through they will start selling tubes and such again.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    There are still plenty of other sites up selling stuff, but I really liked SD Tactical options (ti everything, and the engraving option). Rumor has it some company offers an adapter to the SiCo ASR mount...
    Someone on the SDTac boards thought some big players in the suppressor world may have brought this on, I don't really see that though. I wrote SDTac a message on Facebook seeing if there was any grace from ATF in selling tubes/caps to people with approved form 1s, though I fully suspect they will say no. I just had to ask.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Wonder how long before they start knocking on sd customer doors wanting their purchases back?

Supposedly no order/customer info was taken.. who knows. My feeling is if you do the paperwork like you're supposed to you don't have anything to worry about. Anyone that does otherwise might be in a world of hurt...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Supposedly no order/customer info was taken.. who knows. My feeling is if you do the paperwork like you're supposed to you don't have anything to worry about. Anyone that does otherwise might be in a world of hurt...
    Oh I agree with you. But some people may be still sitting on their kits. Not illegally modified them I mean. its a very grey area.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Oh I agree with you. But some people may be still sitting on their kits. Not illegally modified them I mean. its a very grey area.

Yeah I hear ya. While technically you are supposed to be okay having undrilled stuff sitting around, I don't want anything "gray" sitting around my house. Until paperwork is approved, I don't buy anything.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    SDTA is a manufacturer and makes complete suppressors utilizing the same tubes and end caps for their complete cans. That makes it kind of hard to tell the ATF that they are only to be utilized as solvent traps. It is a bummer; I was happy with their product for my .30 cal can. I'm planning on making my 5.56 can out of welded stainless because I'm not worried about taking it apart.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Wow. That's where I got my Form 1 parts. This is another reason to defund those ATF ****ers. It's an engine freeze plug & fuel filter or flashlight tube ffs. You can buy plugs and fuel filters from Summit Racing too. Did they get raided? :poop:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Actually no one was "raided". Darrell said they were told to no longer sell the solvent trap parts when the ATF was there going over his FFL relocation. He also stated no customer data was released or given to the ATF.
    Dan

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Are they to resume selling trap parts soon then? I've read mixed reports. Their Facebook page asks for continued support during this time, yet some people say they will resume selling solvent trap parts *last week.. seems like there are people saying things are just fine, and people saying things are dire. I don't claim to know much of anything, I'm just a distraught guy who has to rethink his form 1 plans.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I looked at building my own with the solvent trap kits, but I didn't see any real savings over the Gemtech GM22 by the time I paid for engraving and coating.

Am I missing something with the $200 I paid for my GM22?

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Am I missing something with the $200 I paid for my GM22?

IMO, no. You did well. For a 22 can I think you can probably do better just buying one. That looks like a great price and a great can.
    The appeal for me was making a can for an AK, and they have a QD solution I liked for a few ARs. Despite a GOOD size overbore to accommodate an AK, my can is hearing safe on an AR. I mostly wanted to build one to say I did, but it turned into a surprisingly quiet can for the money. I then submitted paperwork to build a can and use a booster from gemtech or liberty.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    IMO, no. You did well. For a 22 can I think you can probably do better just buying one. That looks like a great price and a great can.
    The appeal for me was making a can for an AK, and they have a QD solution I liked for a few ARs. Despite a GOOD size overbore to accommodate an AK, my can is hearing safe on an AR. I mostly wanted to build one to say I did, but it turned into a surprisingly quiet can for the money. I then submitted paperwork to build a can and use a booster from gemtech or liberty.

That makes sense. Rim fire cans are fairly cheap.
    Kinda like reloading 9mm Ammo right now isn't much cheaper than buying bulk.

I think I'm in the $700 range on my Rugged Surge can.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Actually no one was "raided". Darrell said they were told to no longer sell the solvent trap parts when the ATF was there going over his FFL relocation. He also stated no customer data was released or given to the ATF.
    Dan

Hopefully the HPA will pass then this will become a moot point. We will be able to buy premade baffles and tubes, assemble them at will and finally be able to shoot with a $50 muffler on the end instead of waiting 8 to 10 months for permission. I filed a Form one back in the spring, still waiting on it to come back but I went ahead and purchased my tube and end caps several months ago. They are locked up in a separate cabinet in a separate part of the house, no where near my safe and the weapons it may be mounted on eventually. Have not drilled any hole in the end cap or even started making baffles yet, I am taking no chances until my paperwork comes back. I don't look good in orange...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hopefully the HPA will pass then this will become a moot point. We will be able to buy premade baffles and tubes, assemble them at will and finally be able to shoot with a $50 muffler on the end instead of waiting 8 to 10 months for permission. I filed a Form one back in the spring, still waiting on it to come back but I went ahead and purchased my tube and end caps several months ago. They are locked up in a separate cabinet in a separate part of the house, no where near my safe and the weapons it may be mounted on eventually. Have not drilled any hole in the end cap or even started making baffles yet, I am taking no chances until my paperwork comes back. I don't look good in orange...

Orange is the new black....or so I have heard.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010

I purchased all the parts before I filed my form 1's. That way I was certain I had what I needed. Nothing was modified in any form and they weren't even stored in the same residence as my firearms. Once I had my form 1 in hand I had the tube engraved then built them.
    One aspect of the HPA I'm looking forward to is being able to change the internals and see what really works best. Currently once you build it and put a single round through it you cannot alter it. I like to do a lot of real world testing. Currently all the testing is on paper and hypothetical.
    Dan

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Currently all the testing is on paper and hypothetical.
    Dan

I try to listen to the people that do more cans than me. Then I try and find out what worked best for them.

Some of the Form 1 guys are really into this, in a big and expensive way. It can be very addictive.

Top Bottom