• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    So I've been pondering this idea for a while, I've got a Glock 21 and 19 with factory threaded barrels and I would like to add a suppressor to one for a dedicated nightstand gun. Budget is not a concern, what would you guys recommend?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I was pretty impressed by the Rugged Obsidian (especially for the price), balances well, great machining, sounded great too but only shot it on a 45 and not a 9.

I have a TiRant 9mm and the weight and sounds is pretty good too

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have a Gemtech GM-45 that I run on my FNX-45 Tactical and my G21. It works great and was not super expensive.

I have a Griffin Revolution-9 that I run on my G19 and Sig MPX. I like it, but probably would have bought something different if it were not my first can.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The Silencerco Osprey is a good product line, as it keeps the body of the suppressor below the sight line. My Osprey 45 is nice and quiet on my two .45 ACP hosts (a FNX 45 Tactical and an ATI Thunderbolt 1911). It works pretty well on my 9mm hosts as well.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    I am partial to Gemtech mainly but have some SilencerCo that is equally good. Other good options for the 9 are the Griffin Armament Optimus and the AAC Illusion 9.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Any thoughts on a Thompson Machine ISIS-2 in 9mm? Price seems great. For the money you'd spend on just the Omega, you could get a ISIS, tax stamp, and a threaded barrel.

Not being a dick, just genuinely curious.

TangoSierraEcho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2016
    Monroe County
    Any thoughts on a Thompson Machine ISIS-2 in 9mm? Price seems great. For the money you'd spend on just the Omega, you could get a ISIS, tax stamp, and a threaded barrel.

I have never had one or dealt with them but I typically tend to stay away from silencers that have limited capability to handle full auto which ISIS-2 has limited capability. There are plenty of inexpensive options out there but I would consider take down ease, adaptability, actual DB noise reduction levels when doing comparisons. Not all of these are created equal.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany

I have an ISIS-2 in .45acp in jail, but having looked it over I can say that it appears to be well made. If you can wait till around Augest I'll let you know more... :rolleyes:

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

I have one one and it's a great can. I, however, don't really think a pistol can is a good idea for home defense.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Why not? Seems like the perfect application to me. I know that if I have to fire my "nightstand gun" I'll be in an enclosed area...

My thoughts exactly. Only thing I can think of is having it taken in as evidence if you have to use it, and a ultra-liberal jury looking at it the same way people think they will if you modify your nightstand gun. The first thought is a good one, but you'll get it back eventually and if it makes a difference I would say its worth it. The second thought belongs with the whole "did you hear they're getting rid of the lifetime LTCH?" crowd. Until I see some documented proof I don't believe it.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    My opinion, and it is an opinion, formed from thought, reading, research, and testing, is that a carbine/SBR is a better home defense gun than a suppressed pistol.

When you go to a good shooting position, my .300 BLK with a can on it is shorter than my suppressed G17. Sure, you can tuck a pistol back and lessen the length in front of you. You can do the same with a long gun.

Then there's the leverage issue. With a long gun, you have three points of contact and they are spread out. With a pistol, you have two at best and they are on top of each other. A suppressor adds a lot of length on front of the grip to a handgun. You have a good chance of being up close and personal and navigating hallways, doorways, etc give greater possibility of a bad guy grabbing your gun. If that happens with a suppressed pistol, you will have less leverage than with a long gun. Also, with most pistols, if someone grabs the can, you may get off one shot before it malfunctions. If someone grabs a long gun barrel or suppressor, it will continue to function regardless if someone is holding onto it or not.

And then theres the whole capacity issue, the fact that all long guns should be fit with a sling so you can dump it of you have to grab a kid or whatever, more muzzle energy out of a long gun etc etc etc.

Again, its just my opinion, but its one I've formed over time and was not put out to be chicken **** BS like the whole 'lifetime permit going away' crap (unless we get constitional carry!)

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    There was a really good article on SWAT mag by Pat Rogers awhile back but this short video from Clint Smith shows similar thoughts on teh subject

[video=youtube_share;_APnhoIYeD0]http://youtu.be/_APnhoIYeD0[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/_APnhoIYeD0[/video]

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    My opinion, and it is an opinion, formed from thought, reading, research, and testing, is that a carbine/SBR is a better home defense gun than a suppressed pistol.

When you go to a good shooting position, my .300 BLK with a can on it is shorter than my suppressed G17. Sure, you can tuck a pistol back and lessen the length in front of you. You can do the same with a long gun.

Then there's the leverage issue. With a long gun, you have three points of contact and they are spread out. With a pistol, you have two at best and they are on top of each other. A suppressor adds a lot of length on front of the grip to a handgun. You have a good chance of being up close and personal and navigating hallways, doorways, etc give greater possibility of a bad guy grabbing your gun. If that happens with a suppressed pistol, you will have less leverage than with a long gun. Also, with most pistols, if someone grabs the can, you may get off one shot before it malfunctions. If someone grabs a long gun barrel or suppressor, it will continue to function regardless if someone is holding onto it or not.

And then theres the whole capacity issue, the fact that all long guns should be fit with a sling so you can dump it of you have to grab a kid or whatever, more muzzle energy out of a long gun etc etc etc.

Again, its just my opinion, but its one I've formed over time and was not put out to be chicken **** BS like the whole 'lifetime permit going away' crap (unless we get constitional carry!)

I can agree with that; I misread your intent to say that "there are better options" as "this is a bad option."

I do have an AR as a primary HD weapon and it's my fault that I don't always have the SDN-6 on the end of it... I shoot it with several rifles and it doesn't always end up where I want it. But when I follow my own SOP's, I have a suppressed SBR as the bedside HD weapon. But the truth is I don't always have the can on it (it's not on it right now). My plan for the Isis-2 is that it will always be on the pistol with an x300U, trigger covered with a Dale Fricke piece if kydex, since its the only pistol I own with a threaded barrel. That my wife is much more comfortable manipulating a pistol than an AR also plays into the equation.

We're on the same page, I just misread/mis-inferred your post.

Top Bottom