• ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My poor neglected rimfire can made it back to Bonners Ferry, ID early the afternoon of the next day. That's quite a jaunt for just about 18 hours the USPS had it in possession.

I suspect that there may eventually be photos of "how not to treat your rimfire suppressor" online soon.

Wonder what the final bill/damage will be... *sigh*

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    There was an attempt made.

And if I'd tried any harder, I was seriously afraid that I was going to ruin it. If I didn't have to pay the $200 for another one PLUS the cost of the suppressor - it wouldn't be too bad. Rimfire cans aren't all that much these days.

If I somehow need an entirely new baffle string, It'll probably be in the 'hood of $100 just in parts.

I've not yet heard back from them regarding status. So I don't know if they'll muck with attempting to clean all that lead off all the aluminum baffles or if they'll just say "screw it" and put new baffles in it.

HOWEVER - I'm also going to buy the specific/proper take-down tools needed for the thing. That way I can keep up with it in the future.

Being that they're aluminum, I'm at a slight disadvantage over steel baffles. Aluminum is a lot more reactive to a lot more "stuff" than stainless steel is, unfortunately.

There are a few methods I've read about involving "pre-treating" steel baffles to make cleaning easier. (like heating them in a bath of brake fluid or silicone oil).

Or I may just disassemble and clean it every 500 rounds or so.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    You're probably better off cleaning it every 100-200 rounds. My Thompson Zephyr XL requires that. I'm lucky and a have a full machine shop at my disposal, so getting it apart isn't too difficult for me.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wow, no cleaning since 2008!? How many rounds do you think it saw in that time? There has got to be a whole lot of lead in there! I think I'm going on about 1200 or so in one of my 22 cans; and i've gone to about 2k, but I get nervous to go beyond that.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You're probably better off cleaning it every 100-200 rounds. My Thompson Zephyr XL requires that. I'm lucky and a have a full machine shop at my disposal, so getting it apart isn't too difficult for me.

Yeah, I may very well clean it after every shooting expedition. And one would think that I'd also have access to a full machine shop if needed...ahem.

Wow, no cleaning since 2008!? How many rounds do you think it saw in that time? There has got to be a whole lot of lead in there! I think I'm going on about 1200 or so in one of my 22 cans; and i've gone to about 2k, but I get nervous to go beyond that.

I cannot even begin to hazard a guess. Not nearly as much as I'd like...how's that? It's been used on probably half a dozen hosts in that time. But the .22 crunch and my becoming a father in that same time really put the crimp on my shooting. In all honesty, probably only 3-4k of mostly crappy bulk pack stuff.

im thinking of sending my outback to gemtech to get the new core. the k baffles are a pain in the butt to clean

My can isn't upgradable that I could see. They make another style of .22 can that IS - but that one starts out life with all steel. Mine is 100% aluminum. Start throwing in dissimilar metals and that's a recipe for corrosion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, I may very well clean it after every shooting expedition. And one would think that I'd also have access to a full machine shop if needed...ahem.

I cannot even begin to hazard a guess. Not nearly as much as I'd like...how's that? It's been used on probably half a dozen hosts in that time. But the .22 crunch and my becoming a father in that same time really put the crimp on my shooting. In all honesty, probably only 3-4k of mostly crappy bulk pack stuff.

My can isn't upgradable that I could see. They make another style of .22 can that IS - but that one starts out life with all steel. Mine is 100% aluminum. Start throwing in dissimilar metals and that's a recipe for corrosion.

Not if you clean it regularly.....:cool:

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The one thing I hate doing is cleaning baffles. That is why once I learned about wet rotary tumblers and stainless steel pins I never hesitate to clean my 45 or 22 can as I just set it amd forget it

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Update: I inquired of the manf. yesterday afternoon about the status of my cleaning/repair. I've yet to hear back from them, which is unusual, because my other inquiries to them were answered in the same business day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom