• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I currently own an AR pistol. I now have the form 1 in hand and will begin filling that out tomorrow. I recall some time ago while looking into this that you want to register in a specific way so as not to pigeon hole yourself. I cannot remember enough of it to do myself any google justice.

Anyone know what I'm referring to? I know I give you a pile of poo and ask for you to give it back as something else.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I was going to start a pistol, but decided to just do an SBR. I would want to shoulder whatever brace I bought and it only takes one sucker with a cell phone to get a picture and then I'm in trouble.

I think you want to register it as a super short barrel. If I recall correctly if you register it as a 7.5" you can use a 10.5" but not the other way around. If this is the case I'd do a search and find the shortest common barrel in whatever caliber you are choosing and register it as that.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    You can fiddle with barrel length and caliber on an SBR and if made permanent notify ATF of the change. It's suppressors that are more stringent. Shorter but not longer, shoot smaller bullets through the hole but not make the hole smaller than what's on the form 1.

I'm really out of the game since the rule changes. I used to have everything pretty down pat. I have 6 stamps of various types; 4 & 1, personal & trust.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    IANAL, but for an AR you just choose the barrel length and caliber that you plan on using initially, let's say 5.56mm and 11.5" length. As long as you maintain/keep that upper receiver, you can purchase others to use with that lower and swap them out whenever you want. Just keep the one that converts it back to what is listed on your form 1. I have an SBR'd lower with the above mentioned 11.5" 5.56mm upper, as well as a 8.5" 300 Blackout upper, 10.3" 6.8mm upper, and 7.5" 9mm upper. That's the great thing about AR's.... they are the tinker toys of the gun world.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    it seems that you should purchase the lower as neither a pistol nor rifle initially. this allows the greatest range of versatility for the resisted piece. The rest seems like plug and play paperwork.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    it seems that you should purchase the lower as neither a pistol nor rifle initially. this allows the greatest range of versatility for the resisted piece. The rest seems like plug and play paperwork.

When you buy a lower it is marked as "other"

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    You may check youtube... Mrgunsngear has a video tutorial on how to do an efile. I don't know if anyone has something out there on a paper or not, I do know that there is a good thread on arfcom but you may have to dig a lot. I feel as if there really isn't a whole lot to mess up. Just make sure you get the model number as it reads, and make sure that you choose a caliber and not put multi even if it says so on your lower. I have always efiled, however website for efile was down when I filed the last one and so I went the paper route, and I still haven't received it. It honestly seemed more simple to me than online but YMMV.

I'd also be happy to look at it before you send it if that would help, I also live in TH.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I just did the paperwork for an NFA trust. I will be paying for my first tax stamp very soon.

As I make my rounds in gun shops to chat about silencers I saw something today that caught my attention: the battery compartment stock setups for AR model rifles can house the required NFA paperwork instead of batteries. I'm sure I'm like the last guy on the boat for this observation, but I thought I was pretty clever! Ha!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I just did the paperwork for an NFA trust. I will be paying for my first tax stamp very soon.

As I make my rounds in gun shops to chat about silencers I saw something today that caught my attention: the battery compartment stock setups for AR model rifles can house the required NFA paperwork instead of batteries. I'm sure I'm like the last guy on the boat for this observation, but I thought I was pretty clever! Ha!

Go to Terre Haute Guns. They are the best place around to buy silencers.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I always thought putting the paperwork in the stock was a pretty fool proof way to always have your paperwork on you. I have no idea why more people don't do it. Put it in a ziplock bag if you are worried about getting it wet, leave it in there and never take it out. Even a the basic Magpul MOE grip will work.

Top Bottom