Cheapest way to get into a select fire firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    So what is it? If a guy wants to legally purchase something full auto, what is the cheapest way to get started?

thanks,
    clay

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Just remeber that cheapest isn't always the best. Think of this as a long term ownersip type of thing. You don't want to sink three grand into a gun that you'll be tired of in a few range trips. Also, think about what you want to do with it. I've got a Ruger AC556. Basically a Mini -14 with a happy switch. Cool thing abou it is that it's got a .22 conversion kit available for it. That makes it much cheaper to shoot then even a 9mm and is still lots of fun! I wanted an M-16, but got the Ruger for about half the cost. I still haven't shot an M-16, but I doubt it's twice as cool! Did you make the list for NFA Day? If so, you'll get a chance to shoot a variety and see what you like. Check out Subguns.com for some asking prices and remeber that just about all of them are negotiable! I think I offered the previous owner of mine about $750 less than his asking price and he took it!

Doug K

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    yeah, I know cheapest isn't typically the best, but I wasnt even sure where prices even started! ;)

I am on the list for NFA day, and hope to get a good idea of what I like. :rockwoot:

kyle1058

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2009
    Noble County
    An M11/9 would be a cool and cheap NFA item to get, but I guaruntee that thing blows through 9mm like a minigun.. At least all the ones I've seen have. I'm pretty sure you can get rate reducers for them.

I've heard the initial purpose of the M11 was to be able to dump an entire mag into someone at close range quickly.. IIRC, you can dump 32 rounds through one in 1.2 seconds. That's $6.40 worth of cheap 9mm ammo (WWB) in 1.2 seconds. Still gotta be darn fun!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I went with a M11/NINE with a Lage Slow fire upper. I am also on the Lage Max-22 upper list. So with the factory upper I will really have 3 different guns in one. A 1200 rpm 9mm, a 600 rpm 9mm and a 800rpm .22LR.

Even with 7 magazines I will still have less then a Resing or MK760 in it.

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    I would highly suggest looking into getting a M11/9mm with a Lage slowfire upper....this setup would probably cost you around $4200 for a mint setup with a few extra mags.

You can also consider a STEN, Reising, or MK760...

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Yes, he has one in the works as a drop-in to the factory upper

#488 here. :)

All I know is that man is a genius!!!

I invited him to send a beta-test unit out for us to run at NFA Day. ;)

What I really wish he (or anyone reputable) would make is a high-quality, properly machined and hardened set of M-11/9 guts. Not just bolts and sears, but triggers, disconnectors and a sear trip lever that actually works...

sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Decatur
    M11/9 is the cheapest. M10 probably the best way to go if you are going to get a Mac, you can do .45/9mm/and soon to be .22. If you keep an eye on a few different boards you can pick up a M11/9 for $2800-$3000 with accesorries. A Powder Springs M10 can be had for $3000 or sometimes less if you are willing to wait a bit.

If you want to spend a little more you can get a Stemple 76 or a Reising. I would probably avoid the Reising from what I hear they are hard to get parts for and don't run 100% without some tinkering. I wouldn't pay any more than $3500 for a Stemple, I've seen a couple advertised for $3200 here lately. If you have to have a Reising I wouldn't pay any more than $4k. The Spitfire SMG is also in the same price range, these are another I'd stay away from. No parts and lots of tinkering.

As others said, try making some offers you may be able to get a really good deal.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    how hard is it to convert an M11/9 or M10 to a SBR? I mean other than the paperwork, is the stock a bolt on?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    how hard is it to convert an M11/9 or M10 to a SBR?

You're talking about the MAC-style semi-autos, right? Because there's no such thing as a select-fire SBR (it would be a machine gun by definition).

The semi-auto pistols (PM-11, MPA, et al) differ from the semi-auto carbines and the SMGs in that they cannot easily accept a buttstock. Not sure what's involved in converting them. It might be easier to pick up a semi-auto carbine (which has a buttstock already), register it as an SBR, then slap on a short-barreled upper.

There's a dedicated MAC forum over at UZI Talk Forums; might want to go there and look around.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    no, I was just wondering how hard it is to add a stock to a m11/9, or m10. I guess I assume if it has a stock, its a SBR.

So basically what your saying is a machine gun is a machine gun, regardless whether its a pistol or a rifle? One stamp, all done?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So basically what your saying is a machine gun is a machine gun, regardless whether its a pistol or a rifle? One stamp, all done?

Yep. Machine gun trumps everything.

And a factory M-11/9 should come with a stock. It's a chintzy one, but it's there.

Here's mine as it came out of the box (that lasted all of about 7 seconds):
    m11_9_right.jpg

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I don't think you can put a stock on a semi auto mac the trigger and sears are completley different than the full auto and the manufacturers quit cutting out the slots for the wire stock.

Top Bottom