• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    What is the minimum age one can go through the steps and purchase a suppressor? I'm 19, and I was wondering if you have to be 21 or not. :dunno:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Federal law requires you to be 21 to purchase a firearm from an FFL. Since a suppressor purchase requires an FFL transfer and is considered a firearm, I'm gonna say you need to be 21. However, I don't know this for a fact.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    You can buy a suppressor from an "individual" at the ripe age of 18, just not from a dealer. Paperwork is the same, form4.

The problems you will face however will be

a) getting CLEO signoff---CLEO may not be willing to signoff on the purchase due to young age.

b) Finding someone who owns a used suppressor that is willing to sell it to you.

Also, although it is a bit off topic, you can build a SBR on a form 1 at 18.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Does that mean you would be interested in selling a suppressor? :D

Seriously...:dunno:

Sorry, but no.

That is the really unfortunate problem, very few folks sell their suppressors.

To be honest, just start saving your money for your future suppressor purchases. I would start the form 1 process on building any SBRs you might want now, as you can buy a stripped AR lower/rifle from an FFL at your current age.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Was that your can on the M16, Craig? Since I'm sure you'll be wanting to get a new one with a finish on it, I'll gladly take that one off your hands! ;)

lol

Yes, that was my "can" on the M16, in fact that was the entire upper off my SBR.

Although my can lost its finish, it is still in perfect working order.

It is not for sale, well, theoretically it can be, but it would be an expensive endevor for a USED can.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Didn't they change that? I'm pretty sure you now have to be 21 to buy a firearm receiver. But there are plenty of people that will sell you one face-to-face (only have to be 18 to buy one FTF).

You might be right, I vaguely remember something along those lines, but I can't recall.

Good excuse to just buy a whole gun!

Top Bottom