Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How does 3 round burst work?

I've been wanting to know how this works for quite while now, anyone know specifically how this works?
    "All rifles need a sharp pointy object on the end!"

I'm not going to be able to describe it very well but there is basically a three toothed ratchet in the trigger group which allows the hammer to fall three times prior to resetting.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Phylodog is correct in his description as it relates to the M16 platform. It is radically different in other firearms, specifically the MP5 line. The burst mechanism in the M16 is a ratcheting cam that indexes itself 3 times when the trigger is pulled. The down side to this setup is that if you let off the trigger after 1 or 2 rounds, then the next trigger pull will net you only 2 or 1 rounds, or whatever adds up to 3. The H&K version nets 3 rounds with each trigger pull regardless of how long you hold it down.
    VUPDblue's Rule #1: Don't be a jerk.

Marion County Fish and Game.Central Indiana's best shooting
    sports facility!

Rules of the INGO Classifieds

INGO rules of conduct

INGO Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What's going on up here? epsylum's Avatar
    I was wondering this myself and I figured it had something to do with a three toothed gear/cam.

As for the HK is it completely different or does the cam just reset itself when the trigger released?

I have shot a few 2 round burst guns and I really like the "instant doubletap" effect. I can see how that would be useful for an entry gun (it was an FBI issue MP5/10 and UMP.45 that had them) where you want to control your fire but make sure what you hit goes down.
    "That wasn’t a Mario reference; it was a reference to my friend Toph. One time he took a bunch of mushrooms and kidnapped a girl." - Michael Swaim

Shooter
    You know, if this is all there is to it, it should be pretty easy to modify an SKS sear to go into a two or three round burst... with just a file.

I'm not advocating breaking the law at all, I'm just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Smith View Post
    You know, if this is all there is to it, it should be pretty easy to modify an SKS sear to go into a two or three round burst... with just a file.
    Make sure you don't go full "Josh Smith-style" and post full details with color pictures!

Hmm, good idea for a SHTF scenario?

Expert
    Good idea for a prison scenario!

I heard a well placed playing card and a stick of chewing gum was enough to go full auto on an ak or sks... Never saw it but that's what I heard. friend of a friend (heard a rumor)had a Thompson tommy gun that was improperly decommisioned by band sawing the rcvr instead of torch cutting. Took him some fiddlin but I heard that he knew your mama when she used to rocknroll. Three burst seems so much more elegant. Thanks for explaining it and thanks for the original post. I was too ashamed to ask it.
    Are you serious? " "

My opinion of burst is that it is not worth it. I could dump a 30 round mag almost as quick as with burst, yes my finger hurt but the shots were a little more accurate. I feel that using burst throws your shots high as your rifle hasn't come back down from the recoil of the first shot by the time the second goes of, and so on for the third. And like stated before, if you let off the trigger early you may only get a two r one shotter the next time. Stick to semi auto and make well placed shots it will be much more effective.
    Warriors act, fools react

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

" If they ask what 'Semper fidelis' means, tell them my story", John W. Ripley.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast