• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I picked up a Zastava M92 PAP today, and it's begging for an underfolder:smileak:.
    IMAG0467.jpg

My question is not in regards to the form 1 process, as I've done on several other firearms in the past. My concern is where the serial number was placed by the geniuses at CAI. It looks like an underfolder will partially cover the serial (see pics). Can I have the number engraved somewhere else on the receiver when I have my name and location done? If I don't destroy the number, do I need to replace the number? I've seen revolver grips that cover the s/n before, so is this any different? Also, it's an all matching number gun, so the s/n is engraved on the bolt carrier group already.
    IMAG0471.jpg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I just thought of another question. This being a pistol, wasn't subject to 922R when it was imported. Everything is Zastava on this thing, 0 US made parts. If I form 1 it, and add a stock, am I going to be breaking any laws? Not sure if title III arms are subject to 922R like title II ones are.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I just thought of another question. This being a pistol, wasn't subject to 922R when it was imported. Everything is Zastava on this thing, 0 US made parts. If I form 1 it, and add a stock, am I going to be breaking any laws? Not sure if title III arms are subject to 922R like title II ones are.

Cant answer teh other questions, but on 922R... yes. Title II arms are subject to it. Its why its such a pita to SBR certain guns (PS90 springs to mind) since us made parts are few and far between.

There have been some tech letters that state Title II are not, but... at the end of the day why risk it. Sure, no-one has ever been convicted of JUST breaking 922R, but why give someone more ammo to use against you?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Good point. I should probably submit my questions to the tech branch in writing, and see what they say. I really hate to butcher up this firearm with a bunch of US parts, since its all number matching, with all Zastava parts.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    basically your screwed on adding an underfolder.

serial number is in exactly the wrong place for it.

Look at the relationship between the picture you posted with a serial number:

IMAG0471.jpg

and the one posted in another thread showing the location of the hole for the underfolder stock:

014.jpg

Even if you wouldn't have to cut into the serial number to put on the stock, the stock itself will almost completely cover the number.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That's what I was thinking. My main question is can I relocate the serial number to a more conspicuous space? The rifle is going to need engraved anyhow.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    according to the BATFE no. Only the original manufacturer can relocate the serial number.

the part I struggle with, is on a form 1, aren't you (or who ever) the manufacturer? ;)

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    That's exactly what I was thinking. A) I'm the manufacturer, hence my name, city, and state being engraved on it. And B) The serial number might not get destroyed in the process, just covered up. I've had several S&W revolvers that needed the grip removed to access the serial number since it was engraved on the butt of the pistol.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The laws governing the serial number on a firearm:

Do they preclude the covering-up of said serial number?

(Obliteration / alteration...absolutely)

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Cant answer teh other questions, but on 922R... yes. Title II arms are subject to it. Its why its such a pita to SBR certain guns (PS90 springs to mind) since us made parts are few and far between.

There have been some tech letters that state Title II are not, but... at the end of the day why risk it. Sure, no-one has ever been convicted of JUST breaking 922R, but why give someone more ammo to use against you?

The PS90 is imported as a rifle so 922r is not an issue when SBRing

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think what he means is the PS90 must already by 922r compliant to be sold in the US, so making it an SBR shouldn't be an issue because of this.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Got an underfolder on its way. I'll do a mock up when it arrives and we'll see how it looks. If it doesn't work, I might put it on my Saiga 308. Might have to go triangular side folder :smileak:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yes it would be "correct" but think of all the cool points you gain when you show folks you're "kyber pass" build. All the cool kids are doing it. High five clay.

Top Bottom