• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Just goes to show how stupid our auto ban is.

This was at a gun/outdoors shop in the Indy area. They'd bought out a "booth" from another vendor in another state.

They had three auto Kershaws. Don't know what they are - Kershaw's website doesn't show them as having any autos any more. They had a little itty bitty button on the scales near the pivot. They looked kind of like a cross between a Leek and a Blur.

I fondled one - confirmed my suspicions - then kindly let the young women working behind the counter that they were, unfortunately, illegal in Indiana.

:(

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe she was just selling it to Military or LE?? Or did she truly have no idea they were autos and the legality?

It is a pointless ban. I've never understood why, other than they look scary. Hmmmm that kinda reminds me of another ban.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Maybe she was just selling it to Military or LE?? Or did she truly have no idea they were autos and the legality?

It is a pointless ban. I've never understood why, other than they look scary. Hmmmm that kinda reminds me of another ban.

Also FYI: In Indiana, there is NO "exception" to LEO and/or Military for automatic knives.

The way it was explained to me is that they bought someone else's inventory - then just price stickered them and put them on display.

The two working weren't familiar with the inventory. And, like most folks, don't know that auto knives are illegal in IN. Apparently neither did the owner/s of the shop.

I told them that while it wasn't a big deal to ME and that yes, the law is stupid - that I didn't want to see them get jammed up should someone decide to persue it.

-J-

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    There is a clause in federal Law for military and law enforcement. I really dont know much about that law, even though I should. I've bought several using my LE and military credentials. I think that's what most sellers go by.

Just found it.

18 USC 1716 (G) (2) (1-4) provides this summary: Switchblade knives can be shipped to civilian and armed forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal government ordering or procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with activities in the Federal government; to supply or procurement officers in the National Guard, the Air National Guard or militia of the state or territory of the District of Columbia ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organizations; to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any state or territory of any county, city, or other political subdivision of a state or territory ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government.

15 USC 1244 provides in summary: Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the armed forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives any may have them shipped to him and sold to him or her. The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicapped individual who has the use of only one arm.

Also FYI: In Indiana, there is NO "exception" to LEO and/or Military for automatic knives.

The way it was explained to me is that they bought someone else's inventory - then just price stickered them and put them on display.

The two working weren't familiar with the inventory. And, like most folks, don't know that auto knives are illegal in IN. Apparently neither did the owner/s of the shop.

I told them that while it wasn't a big deal to ME and that yes, the law is stupid - that I didn't want to see them get jammed up should someone decide to persue it.

-J-

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    There is a clause in federal Law for military and law enforcement. I really dont know much about that law, even though I should. I've bought several using my LE and military credentials. I think that's what most sellers go by.

Just found it.

18 USC 1716 (G) (2) (1-4) provides this summary: Switchblade knives can be shipped to civilian and armed forces supply or procurement officers and employees of the Federal government ordering or procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with activities in the Federal government; to supply or procurement officers in the National Guard, the Air National Guard or militia of the state or territory of the District of Columbia ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such organizations; to supply or procurement officers or employees of the municipal government of the District of Columbia or the government of any state or territory of any county, city, or other political subdivision of a state or territory ordering, procuring or purchasing such knives in connection with the activities of such government.

15 USC 1244 provides in summary: Knives can be shipped by common carrier, that sale, transportation or distribution, possession or introduction into interstate commerce of switchblade knives is authorized if it is pursuant to a contract with the armed forces or any member or employee thereof acting in the performance of his or her duty may possess switchblade knives any may have them shipped to him and sold to him or her. The possession and transportation upon his or her person of a switchblade knife or a blade 3 inches or less is authorized to any handicapped individual who has the use of only one arm.

fyi yes millitary can carry auto knives in indiana...ON BASE! NOT on the "streets" and NO police cannot carry auto knives, POLICE ARE NOT ABOVE THE LAW!

a few years ago, a couple of isp officers in southern indiana got a 3 day UNPAID vacation for carrying auto knives

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Am I mistaken in thinking that the ban on auto knives was lifted recently in Indiana? I'll have to go look it up.

EDIT: Looked it up.

Article from 2012 when Indiana Senate passed it: Indiana Senate Overwhelmingly Passes Switchblade Bill SB06

Recent article: Switchblade ban lifted in Indiana | Region | Indiana Daily Student

Apparently it still needs to pass the house.

The process would have to start completely over, I think.

Pretty sure that bills don't carry over between sessions.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    The process would have to start completely over, I think.

Pretty sure that bills don't carry over between sessions.

You are correct. It was reintroduced this year and it is 2/3 of the way from passing this year (2013). One more vote in the house and getting the governor to sign off and they (autos) will become legal in Indiana.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You are correct. It was reintroduced this year and it is 2/3 of the way from passing this year (2013). One more vote in the house and getting the governor to sign off and they (autos) will become legal in Indiana.

Absolutely fantastic.

Wonder if they'll repeal the "blades set at different angles" "Chinese throwing star" garbage, too...

And yes, I believe they were the Breakout models.

Top Bottom