• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok I now have the knife Bug ! I have always carried a small EDC (Gerber Mini FAST or Para frame). I wanted a change so I purchased a Ontario Rat 2 and love it !! Next was a couple CRKT Razels (to bulky), Kershaw Cryo (heavy as heck), CRKT Minimalist (love it) and a Spyderco Tenacious (jury still out). I own a Benchmade auto that I have had for years, never really liked it that much, great quality just not my style as I am pretty hard on my knives. Anyway I need some suggestions on a new purchase under $100
    1. Folder around the size of the Rat 2
    2. Daily use (Maintenance work)
    3. any style Flipper, spring assist or manual
    So come on knife guys give my your favorite budget EDC'S

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Benchmade Griptilian. I have one in my pocket more often than not. My favorite EDC knife and cost is right around $100.00. The Axis lock is my personal favorite type of locking system because it is truly one handed and you don't have to put your fingers in front of the blade to close it. Under 4oz so it is nice and light and big enough to do most any EDC chore.

It is not a flipper but with a little practice the Axis lock can be used as a kicker to help open the blade very quickly.

Onionsanddragons

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 13, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Grippies are really solid EDC choicees, and the minis are good if you want a bit smaller.

For utility, I most often carry a Piranha P-1 or Spyderco Native. The P-1 is a great size, medium-small auto and in that price range. The Native is just one of the best EDCs ever, IMO. I got mine used for like $35. I'm sure they come in your range new, and they are well worth it.

I wish I had a good flipper suggestion for you, but I really don't for that price point. Sorry.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    How about a Manix 2 from spyderco with the FRN handles. It is made in the USA had a premium CTS-XHP steel (kind of like S30V). Weighs next to nothing (if you want a heavier one they have one with steel liners with G10. All for less than $100. It also has the captured ball lock witch is similar to the Axis. For me personally it is the absolute best bang for the buck. Plus I know for certain Brad has a few in stock so you can get your knife from a local awesome dealer! Whats not to like?

Nutnfancy Review of Manix 2 FRN - [video=youtube;9751H0NmnC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9751H0NmnC0[/video]

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ok I have decided that I love the Spyderco, smoothest knife I own ! Its a little on the large side for an EDC in my opinion. Recommend me a different Spyderco that is a bit smaller with the 4 way clip mount. I think I am ready for a better steel also.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    What model of Spyderco do you have?

The Delica is a smaller version of the Endura. If that is what you have.

What are you going to do with an edc pocket knife that VG-10 won't handle?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have the Tenacious and its 8CR13MOV steel

A Delica Full Flat Grind in VG-10 would be both smaller as well as a significant upgrade in steel.

A Manix 2 would be more similar to your Tenacious (a bit smaller) and an even bigger upgrade in steel (CPM S30V).

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Almost got the Delica first, but Now I have another reason to buy a Spyderco ! Did not take long to figure out why people like Spyderco so much. My Tenacious is the smoothest knife I own other then the Benchmade Auto, but 2 different animals. The blade shape is perfect, the G10 feels great and the Jimping is the best I have ever felt on a knife. So yes Spyderco has another fan !! I am really digging the ZT knives also. What do you guys think about them and what model would be close to the size of the Rat 2 or Spyderco Delica ??

j22in

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Indy West
    It's probably smaller than what you are looking for right now, but since you like Spyderco, check out the Dragonfly 2 in H-1 steel sometime. Great little knife.

Craigery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    NW Indianapolis
    I carry two EDCs. I carry my Spyderco Persistence for my harder worker that I like to beat the living heck out of the knife. I also carry the Spyderco Delica 4 FFG for the finer things in life like cutting food and making precise cuts. You can get both of them for under $100 total and they are both fairly light!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Almost got the Delica first, but Now I have another reason to buy a Spyderco ! Did not take long to figure out why people like Spyderco so much. My Tenacious is the smoothest knife I own other then the Benchmade Auto, but 2 different animals. The blade shape is perfect, the G10 feels great and the Jimping is the best I have ever felt on a knife. So yes Spyderco has another fan !! I am really digging the ZT knives also. What do you guys think about them and what model would be close to the size of the Rat 2 or Spyderco Delica ??

The ZT knives have thicker blades than a Delica/Endura or Manix 2. They will never slice as well as those particular Spyderco models, but they will probably handle heavier tasks than a Delica/Endura would.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Not many ZTs I would call "budget" blades. But an 0566 might fit the bill for you. Of course what Rhino said is true the blade shape and thickness is completely different from the Spyderco and it would not be as good for fine work but would be better for heavy cutting.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Call my crazy but I prefer to EDC more than just a blade. (sidearm not included)

I carry a Leatherman Juice. fits neatly in the palm of your hand and in your pocket without being noticeable. i get a 3" blade, pliers/wire cutters, scissors and three screwdriver/scraper tools... and the most important? The bottle opener!

Top Bottom