• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have had a design in my head for a knife for about a year now and nothing I have found is exactly what I'm looking for.

Basically what I am looking for is a classic western ring guard Bowie. Thick maybe 3/16"-1/4", 7" long clip point blade no more than 2" Probably more like 1-1/2" or 1-3/4" wide made from 1095 or similar steel, Brass or polished steel ring guard, approx 1" diameter ring, full tang, 5" handle with Stag scales and maybe or maybe not coffin shaped.

What do you think, is it possible? Or am I nuts?

I'm sure this wouldn't be a cheap endeavor anyway and I'm really not ready to get anything started, but knowing there are so many talented makers right here on INGO I figured I would throw the idea out there to see if there is any interest locally first before I went seeking an ultra high dollar nationally known custom maker.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    not a ingo maker but you could email John at JK knives. he makes custom orders for people all the time and is a awesome maker. very nice and should be able to knock it out for you with in a month or 2. tell him grunt soldier sent you. he prices are great. very reasonable.

Home - JK HANDMADE KNIVES

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    not a ingo maker but you could email John at JK knives. he makes custom orders for people all the time and is a awesome maker. very nice and should be able to knock it out for you with in a month or 2. tell him grunt soldier sent you. he prices are great. very reasonable.

Home - JK HANDMADE KNIVES

Thanks for the info GS.

Since no one else has replied to this thread and I haven't gotten any PMs I guess no INGO makers feel like taking on my idea. Oh well, its ok. I just thought it would be pretty cool to work with a local custom maker right here in IN to make it something truly unique and special.

There is tons of talent here, I have seen the work you guys put out. I don't doubt any of you could do it, but I understand not wanting to do it too.

Thanks again.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    My dad makes some that sound a lot like the one you described. Not sure if he could do it now though with so much going on with his health if he could it would probably take awhile.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've not tried the pommels and rings.. Just a simple scaled type of guy.

It's all good. I have seen your work though and you were one of the ones I was thinking of.

My dad makes some that sound a lot like the one you described. Not sure if he could do it now though with so much going on with his health if he could it would probably take awhile.

Sorry to hear about your dad. Hopefully he gets well soon. I dig your old school style though.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Hopefully it will all be better after his back surgery. Hes been bitin at the bit to get out and hammer a few out. I checked his box of knives that are unsold to see if he had one close to what you are describing and i wasn't able to find any ring guards those seem to go fast.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    Sorry that I haven't responded until now. I am interested but at this time I do not have
    the time to take on any new projects. I would be interested if you have any future projects.
    Troy

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I just started a clip point this afternoon. Maybe I'll see what I can do with it and get back to you. Not saying yes, but also not saying no. I've got a loooong way to go in the learning process.

I am sure that you will find a solution though.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sorry that I haven't responded until now. I am interested but at this time I do not have
    the time to take on any new projects. I would be interested if you have any future projects.
    Troy

I understand being to busy to take on a full on custom. Like I said it's not something I'm in a huge hurry for. So if you get caught up in a few months and feel like taking it on please give me a shout.

Thanks guys.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I'm interested. I would think that if you want a ring guard and a full tang, it will need to be a frame handle knife.
    With only a 7" blade it probably would be best to stay near to 1 1/2" wide. A 5" handle is a little long for the average hand, but it's doable.
    I have some very nice looking elk scales.... I would need a couple of months to get it finished.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'm interested. I would think that if you want a ring guard and a full tang, it will need to be a frame handle knife.
    With only a 7" blade it probably would be best to stay near to 1 1/2" wide. A 5" handle is a little long for the average hand, but it's doable.
    I have some very nice looking elk scales.... I would need a couple of months to get it finished.

Those are rough guesses on measurements. 1 1/2" on the blade width is probably as wide as I would like, any wider and I'm sure there are difficulties but it also starts to look weird, at least in my crude attempts at drawing it anyway. 5" was also a rough guess on handle length. I wear large size gloves and my hand measures roughly 4 1/4" across at the widest point. I figured I would throw a rough idea with some rough measurements out there and see if anyone was interested first and if anyone was we could discuss details later. Ring Bowies are hard to find I have found. Not sure why I want one but I think they are awesome looking.
    Thanks for your reply!

Freekforge has mentioned his father also may be interested in working on it, but from what I understand his father is not able to at the moment for health reasons. Hope your dad gets better soon FF.

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I've never made one. I think I will give it a try. I'm gonna use 3/16" 1095 1-1/2" wide with a hunting style handle, elk antler scales & stainless guard.
    I'll let you know how it turns out.

Top Bottom