Lost my Spyderco Manix 2 -- Need a new EDC -- Help!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I hear Manix 2s have been disappearing from INGOer's pockets lately. Word on the street is bigcraig just unintentionally parted ways with his also. :(

A few weeks ago I took my oldest son to the movies. Upon returning home I realized my Manix 2 had slipped from my pocket, mostly likely when I put my feet up on the empty seats in front of us. I called the theater immediately, but of course they didn't find anything in the seat I had been sitting in. :rolleyes:

So now I'm in need of a new EDC folder. I've been out of the loop lately so I need your help in recommending a few options. Like always, I have a few criteria that will need met.

1. Priced under $150. Under $100 would be even better, but I don't mind pushing the budget a bit if it gets me something better. Obviously this will be something I carry and use every single day, and it could eventually be lost, so no $500+ high end steel for me.

2. No liner locks. I'm leery of liner locks, even high end ones. I like Axis-type locks in a folder.

3. Medium to large size. I'm used to EDCing a Surefire LX2 and Manix 2, so a large knife is OK. In fact I actually prefer if it has a little heft to it. I don't want anything super lightweight.

4. Plain non-serrated blade. This will be mainly a utility-type knife. Daily tasks will include opening boxes and letters (yawn). While being able to be pressed into service as a defensive or rescue blade, this won't be its main duty.

5. No bright colors. This needs to work with casual jeans as well as dress slacks. Black or very dark would be best. I don't care if the blade is black or silver. No crazy futuristic or sci-fi designs. Would prefer a black pocket clip.

6. I don't care if it has a thumb hole or thumb stud opener-- either is fine. Could be non-assisted, waved, assisted opening, or auto. Don't care which.

7. Would like the best possible steel in my budget. Edge retention would be priority.

So anything jump out that meets my needs?

Thanks INGO knife experts!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That one is slightly different, as mine had G10 scales. But a good price nonetheless.

I figure I might as well try something different this time around. You know me. ;)

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I lost my spyderco tenacious. I'm eyeballing other knives as I decide on what I want. Been thinking about a couple different knives, but am really digging some emersons.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    That one is slightly different, as mine had G10 scales. But a good price nonetheless.

I figure I might as well try something different this time around. You know me. ;)

Well, if I made the big bucks like you do, I might have that attitude as well :D

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why no liner locks. Emerson knives for the most part only use liner locks, and they are considered self defense knives.

ZT 0566 medium-sized frame lock, around $120-$140
    ZT 550 a litter over budget new but under used frame lock 170-185 new. 115-130 used

Benchmade regular griptillian from $100-$200 depends on materials wanted.
    Benchmade barrage is the same size roughly and price as the grip just different shape.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Check out the Buck Bantam.They offer 3 different sizes.You will probably like the larger one.
    Black metal clip, cheap, US made.Good quality steel.

Buck_Bantam_BHW.jpg

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    For me it's the Spyderco Sage II. A little out of that price range for the titanium and carbon I think though. They are frame lock not liner lock, I too am unfond of liner locks, almost as much as I am of the post for opening up a folder, which is why I do the thumb hole models. It's not a large knife but I don't count it as small either, medium perhaps, it conceals well and deep. I believe they are S30v steel, but that may only be for the titanium and carbon models.

I dunno though, knives to me are one of those things that there are a million options that meet your needs and criteria but only one is the right one for you. Thats why I just set my criteria to Brad and said, find the right knife for me. Took us 30 minutes of trying things on but I couldn't be happier even if I had a Medford in place of my Sage II.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    ZT0350. I remember you saying before if you hadn't bought your Manix 2, you'd have bought the ZT0350.

Also, the Spyderco Paramilitary 2. I like mine a lot. Fits my hand better than the Manix 2, lighter as well.

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I would take a look at the ZT0566 models, I fell in love with them at blade show! Speed safe assisted opening flipper, Elmax steel, frame lock, and the awesome Hinderer design. I need to go see Brad! :runaway:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why no liner locks. Emerson knives for the most part only use liner locks, and they are considered self defense knives.

I don't care for liner locks either, although I do own several and one of my favorite EDC knives is an Emerson A-100. Confused? Me too. Mostly I don't consider my folding knife to be a defensive weapon, it is a tool to do the job of cutting. If it needs to be pressed into the roll of a weapon then so be it.

I don't care for liner locks because even on my Emerson A-100 I can force lock failure by hand by pressing firmly on the spine of the knife. This may be a warranty issue I need to take up with Emerson but like I said since it is primarily a cutting tool so as long as I don't put a bunch of pressure on the spine it should be ok. But I still plan on contacting Emerson about it.

OP, I also prefer Axis style locks and the EDC I carry at work is a Benchmade Griptilian. For ~ $100 it is really hard to beat the Grip.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So anything jump out that meets my needs?

Based on your specifications, I don't think you'll find anything that meets your needs as well as the . . . Spyderco Manix 2.

I'd call or PM Brad and get another.

I would have recommended the newer Manix 2 lightweight (Roadie's link goes to the black version on Amazon), but you said you didn't want a lightweight. However, if you'd consider it, I think you'd like it. It may not be as strong and the steel and G-10 of the Manix 2 and Manix 2 XL, but it may be plenty strong enough for your needs.

I will also say that I am rapidly becoming a fan of the Carpenter BD-1 steel, which is the steel used for the lightweight. Based on my limited testing, it performs as well or better than S30V, but it's significantly easier to sharpen to a very sharp edge.

Here are the two messages in the topic I started with some of my first impressions of the Spyderco Manix 2 Lightweight:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...other-help-me-decide-topic-3.html#post5249050
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...other-help-me-decide-topic-4.html#post5251728

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What did Evan decide?

Oh I don't know. You're right that there are about a billion options that fit most of my criteria.

I don't think I'll do another Manix 2 simply because I'd like to try something new. Otherwise it did exactly what I needed it to do.

I'm thinking something Benchmade might work. I like their Axis lock and their overall styling.

Soon I'll be putting a few items up in the classifieds to raise funds. Then I'll call Brad and go from there.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have a Benchmade Presidio 522 I picked up from Brad and it has became my daily carry. I've had it about six months and it has held up to cutting banding and cardboard at work as well as around the house use. It has the axis lock and fits your $100 price range criteria. It has replaced my Adamas and Spydercos as my EDC knife. Also, definitely go to Brad to pick one up and keep the money local instead of the online retailers.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    556BKSN%5Blarge%5D.1360163978.jpg

I'm thinking a mini griptilian might be in my future :)

Or just a griptilian :)

benchmade26__74888.1375493055.1280.1280.jpg

About a half inch in blade length difference. Not a huge fan of A/O knives, have had springs fail all too regularly in the ones I've had (though I also "flick" knives for fun when I'm bored)

I decisions decisions.

Top Bottom