Another "Help me decide what to buy" thread...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Well, pretty sure I lost my Gerber that I bought from Gander years ago. (I know, I know...don't judge me, I was young and dumb) It was similar to this one: Gerber PR 2.5 Folding Knife 22-41579 | Gerber Knives Direct but was spring assisted and had the lock on the side.

I can't decide what I want to replace it with. If I didn't lose it, it would still be my EDC because it always cut what I needed it to...but now that it's gone do I replace it with the same thing or something different? After my time on INGO I have come to know more about other brands and now there are just too many options out there for me to decide. :faint:

I'm not really looking to spend more than $50, but there is a little wiggle room for a killer deal or something.

Jeffrey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I'd probably go with one of kershaws many offerings. The leek and the blur are nice, but would be at the upper end of your budget. The cryo is also a nice one that would fall well within your price range. Midwayusa actually has the cryo for $18 now, but I purchased one from Brad, and would recommend going that route if you're able. Happy shopping.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Add a vote for the Wingman. I carry one from time to time and it clips right in like a pocket knife. It's obviously a little bit heavier but nothing too noticeable.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    You've probably seen where I just went through this myself: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...st-my-spyderco-manix-2-need-new-edc-help.html

Although I was working with a slightly higher budget, there is a similar option to what I ended up with, but in your price range. The Kershaw Cryo II.

1556BW%5Blarge%5D.1396979172.jpg

1556BW-2%5Blarge%5D.1396979159.jpg

For $40 you get a hand-filling knife with Hinderer style, a spring-assisted flipper, frame-lock with over-travel stop, deep carry clip, awesome blackwash finish, and the backing from Kershaw's warranty program. Sure there are better blade steels out there, but it's a $40 knife!

I'll likely be ordering one from Brad myself, simply because I'm interested in comparing it to my new ZT0566.

When compared to $40 offerings from Benchmade and Spyderco, I think the Cryo II really stands out.

That being said, Kershaw has lots of other interesting knives in your budget as well. I'd give them a look.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    You've probably seen where I just went through this myself: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...st-my-spyderco-manix-2-need-new-edc-help.html

Although I was working with a slightly higher budget, there is a similar option to what I ended up with, but in your price range. The Kershaw Cryo II.

For $40 you get a hand-filling knife with Hinderer style, a spring-assisted flipper, frame-lock with over-travel stop, deep carry clip, awesome blackwash finish, and the backing from Kershaw's warranty program. Sure there are better blade steels out there, but it's a $40 knife!

I'll likely be ordering one from Brad myself, simply because I'm interested in comparing it to my new ZT0566.

When compared to $40 offerings from Benchmade and Spyderco, I think the Cryo II really stands out.

That being said, Kershaw has lots of other interesting knives in your budget as well. I'd give them a look.

Yeah, I saw your thread...but I figured instead of thread jacking yours I would start my own because of the smaller budget. I have heard mixed reviews about Kershaw in general, some people have said I should steer clear of them but others seem to highly recommend them. I know you get what you pay for and with only a $50 budget I'm not going to get top of the line, but like everybody, I want the best value.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Yeah, I saw your thread...but I figured instead of thread jacking yours I would start my own because of the smaller budget. I have heard mixed reviews about Kershaw in general, some people have said I should steer clear of them but others seem to highly recommend them. I know you get what you pay for and with only a $50 budget I'm not going to get top of the line, but like everybody, I want the best value.

I'm curious if the people that have told you to "steer clear" from Kershaw actually gave you a reason. Kershaw ranks pretty high in the knife world, covering the lower end all the way to the upper end (ZT models) in price point, and it is very seldom that I hear anything negative about them. Not to mention that KAI (Kershaw/ZT) has one of the best customer service programs you can ask for.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'm curious if the people that have told you to "steer clear" from Kershaw actually gave you a reason. Kershaw ranks pretty high in the knife world, covering the lower end all the way to the upper end (ZT models) in price point, and it is very seldom that I hear anything negative about them. Not to mention that KAI (Kershaw/ZT) has one of the best customer service programs you can ask for.

Exactly what I was going to say. Only complaints I have ever heard have been few and far between. Them and spyderco are probably the top production folder companies out there for all values. And IMO their customer service is a notch above spyderco's. I own several high end custom folders but still also have several kershaw and zt knives because they make some of the best products for your money.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine

Good to know. I got no real reason, only an opinion, and opinions are like ________, everyone has one and they all stink.

I would be more likely to take your advice, you're the expert here. If/when I ever decide on what to buy I'll be PMing you :)

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I carry a KAI knife every day of my life (unless I happen to forget it...)

I have a Leek composite on my hip right now. Fantastic knife.

I also have and carry semi-regularly a Rake Composite, and a Junk Yard Dog Composite.

I have a Chive that I'll occasionally carry - but not often because it's just too small.

At the top end is my ZT 0350...composite.

The JYD is "Zero Tolerance lite". Beautiful knife but generally too big for me to carry in my office-type job setting.

The Rake is about the same size as the ZT though I like the blade profile of the ZT better so I carry it more.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

I had a Blackout for a brief time several years ago. I didn't like it. The handle and construction felt very cheap to me. In fact I think its why I've stayed away from Kershaw until recently.

lovemywoods has carried a Leek for years. Its more of a "gentleman's" knife with its smaller size and slim profile. Its nice and discreet, but not very robust. If you want something small and light that looks nice and only need it for administrative type tasks, the Leek would be a good choice IMO.

09hemi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Hi im 09hemi and im an addict and kershaw aid my addiction with Brads help ofcourse, i love kershaw becasue those of their knives are very afforable and well built, id much rather lose my $35-40 Cryo or CQC-7k then my ZT0350TS...guess which knife never gets carried ... my ZT. I love every kershaw ive ever used

Top Bottom