• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    I have always found lock backs easier to use. Most of tbe popular knives are liner locks. Do any of the left handers have trouble using liner locks or do I need coordination training?

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    I'm a lefty, but relatively ambidextrous. Never noticed a real issue with liner locks, but like most left-handers, I've become used to adapting to the predominate right-hand configuration of many items.

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    Yes, i have conform to tbe right hand world pretty well. Tbe axis lock does work great in the left pocket. However, i have .ever mastered using my right hand to open and close liner locks. I don't have any trouble with my kershaw cryo, actually, i really lke it and carry it at work every day.
    I have always had trouble with liners tbough.

I've been looking to get something new and watching the suggestions in the other threads and have been disappointed to find mostly liner locks and not all have ambidextrous clips either. So, i was asking to see what the other leftys out tjere do to overcome these issues.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Blade open, palm up, blade facing up. Thumb liner lock, press back of blade against leg to get past the lock, move thumb, close.

ETA: A little rant. The only liner lock I own is an Emerson. One would think that, for the price, they could drill three holes so you could switch the clip to the other side. No, you have to ship it to them and pay $30 for that privilege!!!

Last edited:

K9stang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Southern IN
    Exactly Rookie! Why are we leftys forced to live with these issues!

I haven't bought anything without a left hand option for several years. One of the main reasons i like spyderco so much. My favorite is a delica 4. I recently lost it and had to look for another edc.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    While I'm mostly left-handed (certainly for shooting activities) I find that I do most of my cutting with my right hand. That said, I only have one lock-back knife, a Buck that I carried on Active Duty in the 70s and for some years thereafter. The rest of my knives are liner locks and I don't have any trouble opening/closing them left-handed, although I don't really think about how I do it anymore.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I have a Kershaw with a liner lock. Even though I'm right handed, I can more easily flip open the blade with my thumb when using a left hand carry. When I need to close the blade, I use my right hand to push the lock. I figure opening the blade is going to be the only time when it might be critical for quick action. I'm fine with the much slower method to unlock/close the blade when switching hands (or using both hands)

Razer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2013
    South Central Indiana
    I usually have no huge issue, but I normally carry my knife in my right pocket for some reason. Never thought about it much. I know I don't feel real comfortable with some liners in my left hand when closing so I don't own those specific knives. I prefer a flipper or something so my thumb can press against the blade on the flipper when I'm releasing the blade so it will not flip shut on my thumb. For some reason I don't want to do that...

My normal daily driver knife is an older design CRKT hawk DOG knife which is ambi and is similar to axis as far as release button style, but is otherwise not even close lol. Love that knife, but it is huge and heavy. I'd love a newer version that was lighter and slimmer. It also has the best pocket clip for a big knife ever in my experience anyway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Just now reading this as a whole new world has opened up to me.

I have a Kershaw with a frame lock and two CRKTs (one assisted) with liner locks.

I carry both in my left pocket and close them with one hand and nary a thought about it. Thumb moves lock, index finger moves blade, retract once blade passes lock point, use thumb to completely close blade if necessary.

Actually, as I'm doing it now, I tend to slide the frame so it sit between my index finger and folder middle knuckles, thus allowing me to completely close it with my index finger rolling over the top.

I find it funny to hand people my CRKT with the spring-loaded safety switch that requires three motions to close. :evilangel:

Top Bottom