I have ever held.... And it happened at Brad's table at the 1500

KORFvSH.jpg

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Hmm. Mick Strider site has that listed at $1,175. I was at Brad's table when that photo was taken, and I heard him say it was priced at $1,800.

That's a heck of a mark up.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Hmm. Mick Strider site has that listed at $1,175. I was at Brad's table when that photo was taken, and I heard him say it was priced at $1,800.

That's a heck of a mark up.

Let's be clear about this knife. First of all this knife does not belong to me. INGO member Dean Crail owns this knife and it is not for sale. This particular Strider is only available a few times a year through Mick Strider's website in very limited numbers, and they usually sell out in less than 5 minutes. Mick Strider has never said how many SJ75 models have been made and released, but it is estimated by the Striderholics on the USN forum that there has been less than 50 made and released. Because of this, on the secondary market this knife is very hot and I have seen it bring $1800 more than once. Fenway asked both Dean and I what it was worth, and we both quoted the secondary market price.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Let's be clear about this knife. First of all this knife does not belong to me. INGO member Dean Crail owns this knife and it is not for sale. This particular Strider is only available a few times a year through Mick Strider's website in very limited numbers, and they usually sell out in less than 5 minutes. Mick Strider has never said how many SJ75 models have been made and released, but it is estimated by the Striderholics on the USN forum that there has been less than 50 made and released. Because of this, on the secondary market this knife is very hot and I have seen it bring $1800 more than once. Fenway asked both Dean and I what it was worth, and we both quoted the secondary market price.

Makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. :yesway:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Soooo - Why? :dunno:

Is there gold inlay?
    Pearl handles?
    Unicorn horn handles?
    Is it forged from Naquadah?
    Did a famous dead guy make it?
    Did a famous dead guy own it?
    Did it kill a famous dead guy?

Obviously I'm not a "Knife Guy" or I would just automatically understand why some are more worthy of honoring than others?

If I were to pay that kind of money for one knife, I'd expect it to jump out of my pocket, open and protect me before I realize there is a threat. I'd want it to bring in and open all my mail and packages before I get home from work. It would have to clean and trim all my finger and toe nails while I sleep.

Is it a gun/knife? Cause then that would make more sense.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Does any of the guns you own fire at your targets on their own?

Do any of your guns have gold? Grips made from a unicorn horn?

Probably not

They're rare, not mass produced in some sweat shop in China, there's a lot of detail that goes into a knife, you ever pop the side plate off a Smith or a Colt revolver? See all the machining and how it works....same goes with a knife....just more detailed and cleaner machined

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    If I were to pay that kind of money for one knife, I'd expect it to jump out of my pocket, open and protect me before I realize there is a threat. I'd want it to bring in and open all my mail and packages before I get home from work. It would have to clean and trim all my finger and toe nails while I sleep..

I'm with ya here . Apparently it's made of titanium and stainless steel and this Strider dude is some big stuff in the knife world so folks wanna help him buy a new house .

The most expensive knife I've ever held was this
    Mora Bushcraft Pathfinder - Self Reliance Outfitters?

Liked it so much I bought two .

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If you don't like the price of a knife, either make one cheaper with the same material and quality or....don't buy it.

Some items aren't made the the masses. Like the recent HK thread and someone said if they weren't so absurdly priced. Not all guns are going to be the price of a Hi Point, not all scopes the price of a NC Star, not all knives the same price as something from Taylor Cutlery. Some cars are $15,000 for a reason, others are $1,500,00

If you don't like the price of something or you don't get "X" amount of utility out of an item to justify the price.....then don't buy it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I held a Medford Praetorian G in my hands on Saturday for the first time, and it was probably the highest MSRP knife I've ever touched. I'm pretty sure that it could have cleaved the Busse that was present in two without a sweat!

I think there is a limit to the price where you can get an increase in performance or "feel." At some point, the added perceived value is just that: perception. I think The Medford is probably worth the price it commands. I think a Chris Reeve Sebenza and similar products are in the same boat.

I don't think most art knives that sell for the super high prices hold any additional value to me, because I don't care about the embellishments. Those who collect art obviously do.

In between, when a knife has a utilitarian appearance and intent, but is priced like an art knife, I also have little interest. I like looking at them and maybe handling it, but the name of the person who made it (unless it was someone I know personally) doesn't sway me. The exception would be as an investment. If, for instance, I had a box of Bob Loveless' drop point fixed blades, I'd gladly make a tidy profit and be glad the market would accommodate it. For personal use? Probably not.

It's kind of like Rolex and higher priced watches. They're worth what the paying customers perceive they are worth. Shaping that perception is a whole different story . . .

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    As others have said, it's the same as a Rolex vs. a Timex. Both do the same job. I've recently sold a few higher end folders after realizing that my needs in a pocket knife don't justify a $300 knife that can chop through a car door. Doesn't mean it's not worth it, just not worth it for my needs. I wouldn't pay that much for a pocket knife, but others might see the value in it.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    If you don't like the price of a knife, either make one cheaper with the same material and quality or....don't buy it.

Some items aren't made the the masses. Like the recent HK thread and someone said if they weren't so absurdly priced. Not all guns are going to be the price of a Hi Point, not all scopes the price of a NC Star, not all knives the same price as something from Taylor Cutlery. Some cars are $15,000 for a reason, others are $1,500,00

If you don't like the price of something or you don't get "X" amount of utility out of an item to justify the price.....then don't buy it.

There is no point in trying to explain to the gun people why there are a lot of knives out there that cost as much or more than their firearms. It is not their passion (knives), and they will never understand that a person will spend a unlimited amount of money on their passion. I have this conversation several times at almost every show with a gun people, and they end up walking away shaking their head with their Wilson Combat on their side. :):

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    INGO member Dean Crail owns this knife and it is not for sale.

I'm sure Dean is a good kid and I understand being a knife nut. But damn that boy spends a lot of money on fancy knives. More power to him though. I wish I had disposable income like that.

I have this conversation several times at almost every show with a gun people, and they end up walking away shaking their head with there Wilson Combat on their side. :):

Funny thing is the knife is about 100 times more useful than the pistol in an EDC roll. If I forgot my pistol for a day the chances of me needing it for any purpose is fairly slim, though I would hate for that day to be the day I did need it. If I forgot my knife for a day I can guarantee there will be something that needs cut at some point or other during the day.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Funny thing is the knife is about 100 times more useful than the pistol in an EDC roll. If I forgot my pistol for a day the chances of me needing it for any purpose is fairly slim, though I would hate for that day to be the day I did need it. If I forgot my knife for a day I can guarantee there will be something that needs cut at some point or other during the day.

Same thing with flashlights!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I'm sure Dean is a good kid and I understand being a knife nut. But damn that boy spends a lot of money on fancy knives. More power to him though. I wish I had disposable income like that.

Dean is as good as it gets for someone his age (19/20). He works hard at a part time job and goes to college full time. He is very good at managing his money and does not waste money on things that you see other 19 & 20 year olds waste money on. When he wants something, he saves until he can afford it. Nothing is given to him, he works for it, or sells something he owns to get it. It also helps that he is not married, has no kids, and still lives at home. He has this knack of identifying up and coming makers in the custom world and will get on those makers books before they become popular. When that maker becomes popular and hot, he sells the knife and usually comes out a whole lot better than his original investment, and he will use that profit/money towards a new toy. I have seen him do this many times. I'm honored and proud that he is my friend! :)

Top Bottom