• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Heres one of dads newest tomahawks. It is wrought iron with a high carbon steel bit forge welded in. The wrought came from an old wagon tire and is some pretty cool stuff. I'll try to get some pics of the grain.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I usually like them with a wider bit too. I think he was replicating an original I would ask but he just got out of surgery 2 hours ago and im not sure he could comprehend the question lol

A lot of originals had a steel bit wrapped in iron or an inferior steel. I think it makes a better head than all steel since it has a bit more give

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I usually like them with a wider bit too. I think he was replicating an original I would ask but he just got out of surgery 2 hours ago and im not sure he could comprehend the question lol

A lot of originals had a steel bit wrapped in iron or an inferior steel. I think it makes a better head than all steel since it has a bit more give

A hard core with laminated with a softer, more ductile metal is an ancient and effective way of having a sturdy, durable tool with a hard cutting edge.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    he made one very similar to that several years ago except it had a spike on the back as well unfortunately it was stolen by the neighbors shortly after he finished. The neighbor insisted he made it even though it had my dads makers mark and my initials burnt into the handle :xmad:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    he made one very similar to that several years ago except it had a spike on the back as well unfortunately it was stolen by the neighbors shortly after he finished. The neighbor insisted he made it even though it had my dads makers mark and my initials burnt into the handle :xmad:

Wow, that takes huge cajones to lie like that.

That's a good reason to take lots of photos of finished work. Has he considered adding serial numbers? Written documentation of the production including dates, serial numbers, and photos would make such things less likely to succeed in the future.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    we take pictures of everything we make just so we can remember them later so if we wanted to fight for it we would have won. The guy is an idiot and i think my dads exact words were "I cant handle this much stupid just keep the damn thing". All we had in it was time some i guess it was no big deal.

Top Bottom