• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have a ZT 350 that I picked up about 2 years ago. I haven't had it sharpened in probably 9-10 months but noticed the other day that part of the edge appears to have rolled. Now I its not like I use this thing to chop down trees I use it a a EDC and cut "normal" stuff, taped boxes etc... Is this normal for this brand or this type of steel?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    IMO, that's a sign of good steel. I would much rather my edge roll than chip when it's under stress. It should straighten right back out with a little care (granted, depending on how bad it is).

Evermoore

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    It's not what I would consider real bad. I am going to take it to a place near me this week and have them sharpen it up for me again. Just worried if that was a bad thing or not.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It also depends on if what is rolled is the actual edge, or the burr/wire edge that forms when sharpening. If the latter, it should be removed anyway, either by stropping or creating a microbevel on the cutting edge.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    With proper sharpening technique, adding a micro bevel or stropping are neither a proper method of burr removal.

I would never recommend stropping as a burr removal method. Stropping is to further refine the edge.

And I'd only do a micro bevel if I wanted that edge geometry. I wouldn't use it as a burr removal technique.

It also depends on if what is rolled is the actual edge, or the burr/wire edge that forms when sharpening. If the latter, it should be removed anyway, either by stropping or creating a microbevel on the cutting edge.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    With my zt's(or others). I steel the edge first before I try to sharpen them. My 350 seems to later longer than my 301 before putting to the steel. About twice as long for some reason. But with the s30v steel on daily light use It was about year before I really need to resharpen.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    With my zt's(or others). I steel the edge first before I try to sharpen them. My 350 seems to later longer than my 301 before putting to the steel. About twice as long for some reason. But with the s30v steel on daily light use It was about year before I really need to resharpen.

Thread resurrection...

I was cutting some wire ties with my 0301 at work the other day and managed to slip and chop right into the steel wire-grate of the media rack.

At first glance I thought I'd put a couple chips in the edge. Upon closer inspection, the edge had rolled rather than chipped. A couple passes on the steel and you can't even tell where the blade hit.

Side note, I whipped out the ZT at dinner tonight to de-vein and butterfly some peel-and-eat shrimp. The wife was rather tolerant of my shenanigans as usual. :)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I've notice my 0561 has a lot of chips in the Elmax lately and it hasn't been used too hard. I like this knife, but it's starting to look like it's serrated. It isn't a issue sharpening it at home, but it's beyond what one would want to have to fix out in the field (which in modern day America is pretty much never for most people anyway).

I've read a lot of posts from the naysayers of ZT's Elmax blades and somewhat disregarded their comments, but they weren't wrong.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thread resurrection...

I was cutting some wire ties with my 0301 at work the other day and managed to slip and chop right into the steel wire-grate of the media rack.

At first glance I thought I'd put a couple chips in the edge. Upon closer inspection, the edge had rolled rather than chipped. A couple passes on the steel and you can't even tell where the blade hit.

Side note, I whipped out the ZT at dinner tonight to de-vein and butterfly some peel-and-eat shrimp. The wife was rather tolerant of my shenanigans as usual. :)

I can't imagine someone using a ZT at the dinner table! The nerve!!

I've notice my 0561 has a lot of chips in the Elmax lately and it hasn't been used too hard. I like this knife, but it's starting to look like it's serrated. It isn't a issue sharpening it at home, but it's beyond what one would want to have to fix out in the field (which in modern day America is pretty much never for most people anyway).

I've read a lot of posts from the naysayers of ZT's Elmax blades and somewhat disregarded their comments, but they weren't wrong.

That's interesting. I have a ZT0560 that is my current "user." I've been getting the edge progressively thinner and so far no chipping. It's possible that this particular knife is softer than yours, though. It's been a challenge getting it really sharp, although it holds an edge quite a while.

Top Bottom