• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . a topic to discuss less than brilliant knife-related bahaviors.

Friday night I dropped my ZT0560 between my leg and the arm of a recliner. When I reached to get it, I remembered as the blade was parting the flesh on the end of my ring finger that it was open. Not the smartest move, but it was sharp and didn't hurt much. It took a couple of minutes of pressure to stop the bleeding, then I washed it, more pressure, and then a bandage.

Fast forward to a couple of hours ago. I was changing the bandage and I didn't have tape I could tear as easily, so I was using the same knife to cut strips of tape. The observant among you have already deduced that I sliced the crap out of my middle finger on the same hand while doing so. With. The. Same. Knife.

I'm not that bright.

After you ridicule me, share your own story!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I cut myself on the plastic packaging of the first pocket I ever bought, while reaching into the shopping bag to take it out.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    One Halloween when I was a kid I was super excited to carve a pumpkin. Of course the pumpkin caving knife was in a drawer in the kitchen, pushed all the way into the back. As I was rooting around to dig it out I failed to notice the razor sharp chef's knife in the same drawer.

After a few minutes of back and forth motion I finally got my fingers on the pumpkin carver. When I pulled my hands out of the drawer I noticed an unusually large amount of blood running down my arm. I looked down at my thumb which I had managed to slice wide open to the point of being able to see the joint and bone.

Of course then I started to freak out and shook my hand violently, splattering blood all over the walls and even the kitchen ceiling.

Mama wasn't happy that day.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Friday night I dropped my ZT0560 between my leg and the arm of a recliner. When I reached to get it, I remembered as the blade was parting the flesh on the end of my ring finger that it was open. Not the smartest move, but it was sharp and didn't hurt much. It took a couple of minutes of pressure to stop the bleeding, then I washed it, more pressure, and then a bandage.

Fast forward to a couple of hours ago. I was changing the bandage and I didn't have tape I could tear as easily, so I was using the same knife to cut strips of tape. The observant among you have already deduced that I sliced the crap out of my middle finger on the same hand while doing so. With. The. Same. Knife.

I'm not that bright.

I was cutting open a kids toy with the anti-theft zip tie, when our son bumped the recliner. I stabbed my left index finger to the bone with a crappy kershaw brawler ($20 walmart christmas knife), it had a tanto blade...the knife didn't hold an edge worth a damn, but it stabs quite nicely....

I "needed" stitches, but I healed it up with some steristrips and superglue. It's got one hell of a scar on it.

Make sure you run cold water over the wound for a bit. Any "cuts" and I do that. something in the tap water here helps to make sure my wounds don't get infected. LOL

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I was a kid (around 1st grade), I was carving a jack-o-lantern with a butcher knife. I was sitting on a concrete floor and when I stood up I used my right hand to push myself up. Since I am stupid I grabbed the knife with my right hand and putting the knife on the ground I used the knife to push myself off the ground. Since I was really stupid I had grabbed the knife by the blade. As I got up, my hand began to slide down the blade so I gripped harder. I nearly cut clean off two of my fingers and cut some of the others pretty bad.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette

I'm not that bright.

You might want to have your short term memory checked.

I was sharpening my busse B11 at the kitchen table. Girlfriend left for the store. It had been long enough that she would have already been back if she forgot something. I heard a noise that sounded like the door was opening. I quickly turn my heading thinking some one was trying to break in( it was nothing, just my paranoia flaring up). As I was making a full swipe of the busse's edge I felt something. I look back at the table and there is a round flesh colored thing next to the knife. I Cut about 3/32 off the tip of my left index finger.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I have a pocket knife that goes by the name "3 stitch". There I was in the grandstand with my bestest Lady watching the Formula 1 pre race inspection going on right below us. I thought I would take the opportunity to multitask and open up a pop can while watching the inspection. I didnt realize I had the shorter spey blade in use instead of the sheepsfoot blade. Managed to slice open the side of my index finger knuckle and the knife earned a name...

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    No sharp metal here, but it's still a cringe-worthy incident.
    When I was about 12, I was collecting the trash throughout our house to put in the barrel and roll out to the road, when I got to my folks' bedroom to empty their can.
    I didn't know it was in there until I lowered the collection bag onto my leg, but there turned out to be a shattered 16oz returnable Coke bottle in the barrel that sliced open the collection bag, then surgically sliced open the skin on my leg when I allowed the bag to rest against it there.
    I probably should have gotten stitches for that one, but I instead butterflied it.
    I still have a distinctive scar over thirty years after that little mistake.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    About 25 years ago I was drunk on this particular night. I was down to my last can of MGD and when I went to open it the pop top broke off. It was my last one and there was no way I wasn't going to drink it. So I pulled out the Gerber MK 1 I had, figuring I'll just stab a hole in the can and drink it that way.

I held the can in my left hand and stabbed at it with my right. 2 seconds later I needed half a dozen stitches in the palm of my left hand.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    :lmfao: We've all been there at some point in time. I hope your cuts heal fast and without issue.

When I was younger I was making a stencil out of acetane and used a exacto knife to cut it. I once sliced into the top of one of my fingers just a little. I disinfected it and bandaged it. No big deal... An hour later I managed to do the same thing on my opposite hand. I just put the knife down and came back to finish a few days later. :facepalm:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I sliced up some bananas once with the wonderful idea of freezing them for later enjoyment. I didn't realize they were going to freeze together into an impenetrable mass of bananas. I found the biggest kitchen knife I could find and began to pry them apart. It worked, but in my effort I jammed the knife through the banana clump and into my hand on the other side of the tupperware container. I still have the scar on my palm from that one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've sliced a large chunk off of my left trigger finger 10 years ago or so, and have sliced my leg open pretty well with a machete (severed the nerve, barely missed the Achilles, thankfully that didn't hurt). Gave my uncle a Spyderco ClipiTool bottle opener for Christmas and he was stropping it on his blue jeans, managed to cut himself. Years ago a friend was handling my Ruger Blackhawk and managed to cut himself on it somehow.

Anyway, shat happens. We get cut, we bleed, we heal, and if we're lucky enough we'll have a scar to remind us that we screw up sometimes.

Hell I have a scar on my left ring finger from when I was putting beer in a fridge in college (doing so sober). It happens

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    My first job at 16 was in a supermarket, stocking and cleaning. I stopped one evening to watch the produce guy wrapping lettuce in cellophane, he had a whole roll of plastic which he would pull out and roll the lettuce head and set it down against a wire cutting device. I thought it must be very sharp to cut the plastic with such ease. I passed by it later, when it was unattended and decided to feel how sharp it was. Being careful and slowly laying my hand against what I thought was sharp, produced immediate pain and surprise as I had just laid open 4 fingers on what was an electrically heated wire. Didn't bleed much as it was cauterized but hurt like the dickens for the better part of the week.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Only one bad cut with a knife. was cutting a frozen cheesecake and caught the tip of my thumb, got half a dozen stitches. Cut myself much worse when I accidentally walked off a dock and landed on an oyster bed. My heel was cut deep enough that they couldn't see the bottom and took X-rays to make sure no fragments were left. Anesthetic didn't take (doc said nerves in the feet are goofy like that sometimes) so I got to feel every probe and stitch as they fixed me up. I think it was ten stitches in my heel and eight in my shin.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you work with your hands, sooner or later you're going to be cut, by something.
    Believe it or not, Super Glue is your friend, especially on a good clean cut.
    A sharp knife or razor cut can be closed ONCE with Super Glue and in most cases you are done. No changing band-aides or dressings, and no worry about infections getting in the cut.

Wash it, dry it, and stop the bleeding as best you can. Drip just a drop or two in the cut and squeeze shut. Hold for 30 seconds or so and you;'re done.

One caveat. Super Glue DOES burn like the dickens, for a few seconds.

Great stuff. I use it as much if not more than I do band-aides now.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    hmmmnnnnn sharp metal + moron (ME) = ..... let me count the ways !!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like me... The one I remember most, when I found a broken car antenna. You the extension/collapsable kind. I wondered how strong it was. I thought I could break it in my hands. Well I sure could. They are spring steel and it shattered. Cutting my left pointer finger right down the the joint. Decades later and you can still see the scar.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    LOL1.jpg

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If you work with your hands, sooner or later you're going to be cut, by something.
    Believe it or not, Super Glue is your friend, especially on a good clean cut.
    A sharp knife or razor cut can be closed ONCE with Super Glue and in most cases you are done. No changing band-aides or dressings, and no worry about infections getting in the cut.

Wash it, dry it, and stop the bleeding as best you can. Drip just a drop or two in the cut and squeeze shut. Hold for 30 seconds or so and you;'re done.

One caveat. Super Glue DOES burn like the dickens, for a few seconds.

Great stuff. I use it as much if not more than I do band-aides now.

Ah another user. I work outside in the winter with the salt and cold. Nothing will fix the splits in your fingers like super glue. Great on paper cuts too. Like you said it does burn for a few seconds.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    before i got the upgraded arms on my wicked edge ,they would bind with a longer knife. i was sharpening a busse 10. at the point of the return the arm caught bringing my thumb into the knife at witch it went to the bone. if i were further along more then 100 grit i think i would have lost that puppy. but it healed very fast , very clean cut.

Top Bottom