• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    So I bought my first benchmade knife in December. It's a mini-grip with a tanto blade. As far as the quality of the blade goes, I like it. However, I've had anything that screws down on this knife come loose in just 2 months of carrying it. I need to go buy a star pattern wrench and some locktite to fix it. That seems really stupid to have to do when I paid $100 for the knife. I've had cheaper knives that could handle the daily carry better than this. Is this a common issue? If so, why does everyone make a fuss about benchmade?

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    I have the mini grip and the full size grip. Had them for years and have absolutely had no trouble with anything coming loose. Also, years ago, I bought their tool kit that contains different size star sockets. The socket set has come in handy with my other knives.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    I have multiple Griptilians. Once I've carried daily and USED HARD for the last 5-6 years. Never a problem. I like Benchmade so much, I just ordered the 940-1 and love it so far as well!

IMG_0160_zps625caa93.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I've been carrying a griptillian for at least 3 years now and the only thing that has come loose is the pocket clip and that's only because I kept swapping it around until I settled on what pocket I wanted to carry it in. Since then a few drops of locktite and it's 100%. For the screws you will need a micro torx size T6

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My Benchmade has been clipped in my pocket for 1800 days and I have never had a problem. When I was at the NRA last spring I stopped at the Benchmade booth as they had a knifesmith(?) there. He cleaned my knife, looked it over and said good to go. Perhaps you did get a lemon. Shoot them an email or give them a call and ask how they want to handle standing behind their product.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have had Benchmades for years (both manual and auto) and never had any second thoughts about buying them.

While this issue may be a concern in this particular instance, remember than ANY mass-produced item may produce some 'quality control' issues, even if the company is 'spot on' 99.999% of the time.

And this issue is a real simple fix. JMO, but for anything I carry regularly, I always double-check, Locktite, and 'snug up' the various 'nuts and bolts' as a matter of course. Whether that's a knife, firearm, eyeglasses, motorcycles, boats, or anything else. JMO, but such 'safety & function checks' just insure that the equipment functions flawlessly (as is possible) when actually needed.

chubbs

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Jun 2, 2009
    North of hell, south of heaven
    I've used and abused a full size griptilian for about 6 years, haven't had an issue. I did send it back for a new blade(my fault), but when I got it back it was better than new. It is now the smoothest opening griptilian I've ever handled. I recommend you sending it to BM for a "tune up" if your unhappy. I guarantee it will come back smooth as silk.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Look at it this way:

A set of mini-Torx bits and a wrench are going to be a good investment anyhow. You can get a decent little set for ~$10-15. All kinds of applications in the firearms / knives realm of things.

And a little tube of semi-permanent thread locker is also a great investment.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i got my hk scortch over a year ago, and one of the picket screws came loose, used a #5 torx and now its tight again, email benchmade just see what they say, they might want to see it, or they might say deal with it, but either way id let them know

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Look at it this way:

A set of mini-Torx bits and a wrench are going to be a good investment anyhow. You can get a decent little set for ~$10-15. All kinds of applications in the firearms / knives realm of things.

And a little tube of semi-permanent thread locker is also a great investment.

Add to that a set of micro screw drivers and you can tackle about any knife related issues on just about any brand except Microtech.

Also works great for sunglasses/eyeglasses issues

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    Skip the locktite and raid the wife's cosmetics... A little nail polish works great for securing threads, and it breaks easy enough if you ever need to remove the screws later..

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Carried my 154CM since January 2011, no issues, he11 of a blade.

Did you buy it new?
    Yeah, new from the LED Warehouse. As I said, great blade. The loose screws are just an annoyance. I tightened them up and should be good to go now. I just wanted to see if this was the norm with Benchmade or not. Since it seems not, I'll buy another at some point and see how it goes.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The reason the screws keep loosening is because the threads were cut very very smooth. Without some microscopic roughness the screws will rotate back out. Blue Loctite is all you need. Be sure to completely degrease both threads - if there is no grease or oil the Loctite will hold them. Another old trick for this problem is to lightly "distort" the threads on the screws with a pair of pliers. Just one gentle squeeze.

Top Bottom