• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This thing is a beast! THANK YOU BRADSKNIVES!

SP185TIPn.jpg

It's designed by a British guy named Farid Mehr, of whom I know not much. I do know that it's a whompin' big knife (4.54 inch blade)!

The blade is exactly the way I like too: flat ground from relatively thin stock, wide, and very thin at the edge -- very slicey! This is my first knife made of CPM 10V as well. The frame is titanium alloy.

I found a review of this knife from last year on www.bladeforums.com that indicated some pretty impressive cutting performance. Part of that is the CPM 10V at 63 Rc hardness and part of it is geometry: this is a cutting tool, not a prybar.

I am now prepared if I need to decapitate a charging bison using a folding knife.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Farid makes crazy cool knives out of stupid hard steels. most your average makers won't touch. he has some that get damn near the 70's plus on rc. I never have seen that blade before. I really dig it. Nice score sir!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Looks like a bad ass blade. Is it tip down only?

Yes, and the clip is not reversible. It actually goes well with the spartan design of the knife, though. The frame is built with only two sets of screws as well. It's very simple and all business!

Yet another great thing from the UK.

That makes . . . one?

Awesome looking blade. :yesway: Hopefully try not to cut yourself while attempting to decapitate a charging bison. ;)

Remember this thread? https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-sharp-metal-moron-=-unfortunate-outcome.html

Sage advice, sir. I minor incident with this thing could result in a lost finger or limb.

The guy that lives next door to me has five bison. I might need to get one of those.

Bison are among the most delicious of all God's creatures.

All that I know is, as he (Rhino) was walking away from my tables at the show, I heard some mumbling about making it a neck knife in case he was attacked by a bison. :dunno:

Hey, a guy has to be prepared! You never know what might happen.

Farid makes crazy cool knives out of stupid hard steels. most your average makers won't touch. he has some that get damn near the 70's plus on rc. I never have seen that blade before. I really dig it. Nice score sir!

Thanks! I'm now inspired to take a closer look at some of his custom work. I also saw that he's a presence on bladeforums (or at least was at one time), so I will have plenty to read when I have time to do some research.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    After about 1.5 days of carrying the K2, I haven't cut much with it. I do have some noticeable scratches on the frame already from the other stuff jingling in my pockets. Methinks the "collectors" would have a stroke!

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I still can't get over the fact that this huge titanium frame lock with 10v steel can be had for $200 shipped. I am half tempted to buy another as a safe queen.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    No no need for a safe queen. Beat on the one you have. The beauty of those Ti frame locks is that you can refinish them if you ever want to.

Plus, IMHO, a well used knife looks better than a safe queen anyway.

I still can't get over the fact that this huge titanium frame lock with 10v steel can be had for $200 shipped. I am half tempted to buy another as a safe queen.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    No no need for a safe queen. Beat on the one you have. The beauty of those Ti frame locks is that you can refinish them if you ever want to.

yeah, good point.

Anyway, I took the photo below to compare the size of the Farid to some other Spydercos. From Left to right:

Manix
    Stretch
    Endura 4
    para 2
    Manix XL
    Military s90v
    Southfork
    Farid K2
    image.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A little, but not a big problem. I think it just needs to break in. I put some Redline moly engine assembly grease on the lock bar and that helped tremendously.

Brad offered some advice in this regard to me at the Lafayette gun show on Saturday. I shall try it soon.

You need another! Get it from Brad!

Mine has been sharpened, used, sharpened, etc. It's got plenty of pocket wear too. In fact, the stripes of skateboard tape I put on the frame are almost worn off too. I need to find a different way to improve the grippiness. I might have someone with some motivation, free time, and a nice mill add some texture to the frame.

Top Bottom