• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'd hate to see what would happen if a couple of kids tried to play this in a school yard today.

[video=youtube_share;mRZ_Ni45G80]http://youtu.be/mRZ_Ni45G80[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    :scratch:
    I thought that game was the one where you splay your hand out flat with fingers spread on the tabletop and as fast as you can stab the table between your digits, working your way around your hand and back? (without pulling a Rino).

Paul-Bocuse-1983.jpg

Attachments

• pixel.gif
      pixel.gif
      43 bytes · Views: 171

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    That is beautiful!

I spent many afternoons playing after school with my two best friends. We played weekly all the way through the 8th grade.

8th grade was when I traded my small texas toothpick with the yellow handle for a buck 110 folding hunter as my everyday carry.

I still love and have that buck. but it was like flipping a brick.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The*knife game, pinfinger, nerve, bishop, stabscotch, or five finger fillet (FFF), is a*game*wherein, placing the palm of one's hand down on a table with*fingers*apart, using aknife, or sharp object, one attempts to*stab*back and forth*between*one's*fingers, moving the object back and forth, trying to not hit ...

Knife game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:scratch:
    I thought that game was the one where you splay your hand out flat with fingers spread on the tabletop and as fast as you can stab the table between your digits, working your way around your hand and back? (without pulling a Rino).

View attachment 37985

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Been playing Mumbly Peg since I was a kid, at recess we would do it at school in a huge group too. Lots of fun for all. even those who wind up wounded. All kids and then as they grow, Adults should know these basic knife skills. :D (same thing for the finger stabbing game) There were a few variations to the trows we did but that always seemed to be regional to me. And yes, I feel naked if I foget a pocket knife, have since I was old enough to have one. (5)

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We called it "mumblety peg." There was also a variant called "stretch."

Not a good genre of games for me. While watching the video, I imagined some of the different ways it could go horribly badly for me.

Last edited:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    We called it "mumblety peg." There was also a variant called "stretch."

When I was a kid (in southern Indiana), the mumblety (with a "t" also, like Rhino knew) we played was with heavy wooden stakes, usually a section of tree branch sharpened on one end -- the first guy would throw, sticking it in the ground, and the rest would then throw their stakes trying to knock his over AND sticking their own in the ground.

We also played "stretch", using knives or stakes, where two of us would face each other about one knifethrow apart, maybe four to six feet, with our feet together. First one would throw his knife and try to stick it no more than 6 inches, or sometimes a foot, to the side of his opponent's foot. His opponent would have to move his foot to the knife, then he got to throw. Lather rinse repeat until either one of you couldn't "stretch" anymore and fell over or gave up, or somebody got stabbed (stabber loses, by the way). :D

If we were really bold, we'd play reverse stretch --- start stretched out, throw the knife to within 6 inches inside of the opponent's foot, opponent has to bring foot in to the knife. This got more intense when your feet were only a few inches apart. Loser was one who chickened out at the end--- or stabbed the other guy in the foot.

Played a lot of this at Scout summer camp or on camp outs. Wasn't in the Scout Handbook as I recall, doubt they have added it since.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Stretch. I had completely forgotten about that game.
    But I am reminded of falling on my butt.

Never played "reverse stretch". That sounds a little too dangerous even for Jr High School kids. ;-)

But I vividly remember my bud, Eric, who stabbed himself in the left thigh with his own knife. It needed stitches at a minimum.
    But he put a band aid on it and sewed a patch on his jeans and we just let it go at that.

He survived.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Mumbley Peg and Stretch (and Reverse Stretch) - Classic games, fun for everyone. We just wore boots instead of our usually 'tenny-runners'. Guess how we figured that out? :laugh:

Today, lemme see, there'd be some group of wild-eyed, ranting & screaming Libtards showing up with (at the minimum): 1 Ambulance for each kid (some times we had as many as 16 kids playing, boys AND girls), 1 fire 'pumper' truck, 1 fire 'hook & ladder', 2 Battalion Commanders, 1 SWAT Team, 11 squad cars, and some one will have figured out how to drag an entire hospital to the location.

And of course, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and that moron 'Father' (that's a laugh) Pfleger (who fancies himself 'Father Hoodrat') would show up to somehow infer that it's all 'racist'.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    The*knife game, pinfinger, nerve, bishop, stabscotch, or five finger fillet (FFF), is a*game*wherein, placing the palm of one's hand down on a table with*fingers*apart, using aknife, or sharp object, one attempts to*stab*back and forth*between*one's*fingers, moving the object back and forth, trying to not hit ...

Knife game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[video=youtube;NT0epw9P7-o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT0epw9P7-o[/video]

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Stretch was also played, To maje sure we are talking about the same thing... We would keep one fot in one place then trow our knives are a disatance fro the other person's foot and they would have to move the mobile foot to where the knife STUCK (or it didn't count) in the ground and then using the same nife, throw back to see where you would then have to stretch out and then return the favor until one or the other of you either fell or wasn't able to reach that far and return the throw. Sure, e occasionally stuck a knife in a foot or leg but it was fun so no one got too angry about it. Boots were cheating so we either went barefoot or had sneajers on... L(

As for Jarts, I have my set. I also hare steel tipped darts that we used in Bars. We were even drunk doing it. Somehow no one got hurt though more than a few of us turned around and threw them into a crowd because we missed. Those were the days...

Top Bottom