• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I am looking for a style of knife that will baton firewood well. Does anyone baton firewood with a particular style knife with great success? What knife do you find good for this purpose?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Depends on the wood you intend to baton I guess. Here is a Sailor using a knife I made (A.R.K.) to split some wood.

10303800_238992806299755_5420624256597202768_n.jpg

I've always used my ESEE 4 for small stuff as well.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I just used my ESEE 4 Saturday evening. These is also my EDC, I carrier it IWB with rubber belt loop. I really want a ESEE 6 :D

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    take a look at the PREPARED MIND 101 series on youtube; he batons constantly.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I am looking for a style of knife that will baton firewood well. Does anyone baton firewood with a particular style knife with great success? What knife do you find good for this purpose?

Make sure you've got a full tang knife at least 1/8" thick and you should be good if you baton within reason. I went through a pathfinder basic course with a Condor Kephart and it batons just fine. For $35 shipped to you door with a leather sheath it's a great knife and it's relatively thin and light.

I've also got a JG custom knife that'll baton anything you throw at it. It's thicker & heavier, but can do heavier work repeatedly. Cost a little more, but absolutely worth it. That's the knife that's in my truck right now.

Esee's are great knives for baton since most of them are 3/16" thick. Again, the biggest thing with using a baton is making sure you've got a full tang blade. You can baton with rat tail type knives like Mora's, but you have to be extra careful with them and know their limitations. You find out their limitations by breaking one.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Surely I thought I could find a cheap full tang. I have seen them at markets. From 15-25.
    Cheap full tangs are just that .....CHEAP FULL TANGS. If you want an in expensive full tang that won't let you down check out the
    line of new survival knives from SCHRADE on PREPARED MINDS 101 at YOUTUBE.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Another vote for the ESEE Junglas here. IMO it's the best bang for your buck. Does a hell of a jobs a splitting down kindling or just as a general chopper. It's also good at leaving battle scars.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I had never heard of this until I stumbled on this thread! Like rhino, I also now want to go out and baton some wood chunks! :):

Would this knife work? It was brought home from WWII by my dad. I've used it to split up perennials, but haven't split any wood with it. Any concerns?

Eight

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2014
    Central Indiana
    I had never heard of this until I stumbled on this thread! Like rhino, I also now want to go out and baton some wood chunks! :):

Would this knife work? It was brought home from WWII by my dad. I've used it to split up perennials, but haven't split any wood with it. Any concerns?

Can you tell if the blade metal goes all the way through to the back of the handle and is approximately the width of the handle? The pins seem to indicate it is full tang. Also, how sharp is the swedge on the top of the blade approaching the tip? If too sharp it can seriously degrade your baton.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can you tell if the blade metal goes all the way through to the back of the handle and is approximately the width of the handle? The pins seem to indicate it is full tang. Also, how sharp is the swedge on the top of the blade approaching the tip? If too sharp it can seriously degrade your baton.

I can't see the tang (if it's there) through the handle, but I was guessing that the pins meant it was full tang. The top edge kind of concerned me too. It's not really sharp, but it would probably do some damage to the baton, certainly more than a flat edge would. If I were to use it, I would probably need to limit the size of log I was going to be splitting so that I could have enough clearance to only strike the blade behind that part of it.

Top Bottom