David J, makes a knife and learns some forging skills.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    My good friend David Jesse came down last weekend with the hopes to make a knife and learn a little forging. He's been dabbling with wanting to make knives for a few weeks and after seeing him messing around I extended an invitation to come down and spend the day in my shop. I'm not a great knife maker, and most days I don't even feel like a knife maker at all, but I offered to share the things I have learned and hopefully show him the things that didn't work so he could get ahead in his own adventure.
    We only had a day, so we had quite a bit to accomplish in a a short time. Here he is drilling pin holes on a handle.
    IMG_9013_large.jpg

We opted to make one of my G.P.K. models as it is a small handy knife. We started with a piece of flat stock and began buy cutting the blank, profiling and getting it ready to heat treat. O-1 as the steel we used. Here David is getting the side flat and smooth.
    IMG_9014_large.jpg

This blank is ready for the oven.
    IMG_9015_large.jpg

While we tempered the knife, we fired up my propane forge to learn some basic forging. Bottle openers are a great project to learn on as many of the basic forging techniques are used to make the. Step 1 is realizing how hot it is standing by a forge.
    IMG_9016_large.jpg

Step two is heating steel and admitting it is hot by the forge and more sweating.
    IMG_9017_large.jpg

For this one we tapered the handle in a bit and kept it flat, using slot punch a hole was made that would become the opener. Using the horn of the anvil to stretch the hole out, then using a round punch to add the lip that would catch the bottle cap and BOOM we had a opener.
    IMG_9018_large.jpg

It was fun and challenging to teach someone as I forged, but to see him to it was very rewarded and for our troubles we could opener our beers.
    IMG_9019_large.jpg

Once the our knife was tempered, we cleaned it up and were grinding a bevel. Slow and careful was the theme of day for this part.
    IMG_9023_large.jpg

Making some progress.
    IMG_9025_large.jpg

The sun had set and time was running out so we kicked in high gear and scrambled to finish, but when the dust settled this is what we had completed. He did a great job of listening and had an open mind the whole day. He hard work paid off for sure.
    IMG_9026_large.jpg

We covered a lot of ground in a day and were left with a decent G.P.K. to remember the time spent together in the shop.
    IMG_9027_large.jpg

I think if he keeps at it, he will make some good blades and with the others who are helping him he will progress very well. It was a good time passing what I've learned on to another. My way is just that, he can take that and evolve it into his own knife making adventure.
    IMG_9028_large.jpg

I am humbled he came down and wanted to see how I did things and hopefully he learned some things, I know I did and had a great time.
    IMG_9030_large.jpg

Top Bottom