Any MBC (Martial Blade Concepts) Players in South-Western Indiana?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Greetings, all.

I have recently moved back to Evansville after living over 15 years in Colorado. I've spent the past five years, off-and-on, learning MBC under Michael Rigg who was Mike Janich's oldest student.

I'm looking for other people who are interested in perhaps starting a group around the Evansville area OR finding a somewhat nearby group that I could visit a couple of times a month to catch up and continue to refine my skills.

For those who might be interested, but have no experience, I have about half a dozen Spyderco Endura trainer knives and we can get the Hitting-Sticks anywhere.

If there's a great enough demand for the full-on training, I will go to MBC Camp 2016 and try for Group Leader certification. Until then, we can use the videos and Distance Learning Program and my limited experience to get started.

For those who don't know what MBC is, the best I can recommend is to go pull up "Mike Janich" or "Martial Blade Concepts" on YouTube for example videos. I will say that after 35 years of studying various Martial Arts, I was impressed enough with this particular weapons-based style to have my wife start studying it for her own protection.

Hope to hear from any of you soon.

J.
    aka "The Professor"
    (as in Gilligan's Island, can make a radio from two coconuts but can't whip up a suitable way to patch The Minnow)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Evansville is too long of a drive for me. But, if this turned into something and was a bit closer, I would definitely be interested.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Very cool, I wish I was just a little closer to you. MBC seems like a great system, and I would love to try it out. I've been working with an NSI / Worden Defense guy, and am really enjoying a modern FMA approach to self defense. Subscribed to the page, and keep us posted with the progress of your training group :yesway:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I took krav maga here(in evansville) for 3 years, and learned knife defense, and a few self taught lessons, and the thing I remember the most is "in a knife fight, the winner bleeds, and the looser gushes!" I credit mike parks my krav instructor for that bit o wisdom!

if someone ever pulls a knife on me, they'll get a good front kick to the stomach, and after they catch their breath, they'll see one of my many many handguns pointed at their head!

if I had more time, I'd love to see what mbc would be like, but with 2 jobs(my full time, and part time in a lgs) sadly I don't have much free time anymore

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Well, some good examples of what you'd learn are on YouTube. Just go pull up "Mike Janich" and/ or Martial Blade Concepts and you'll see several short videos.

The Proessor

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Yeah, I'm probably going to have to resort to that.

Nothing wrong with the style(s), but the entire idea of the MBC concept was to filter the (mostly Filipino Martial Art) style down to the basics. This gives you a limited choices of response that you apply to a much larger set of attacks/angles.

Fewer moves to practice means more reps gotten in to adapt your responses. More reps means the technique gets into your muscle memory (and brain response) sooner.

For example, instead of doing a hundred reps of five different styles of hubud-lubud, you have one. . .which gives you FIVE HUNDRED reps of the same hubud-lubud, which you then practice/learn to apply to a wider variety of attacks.

Plus, many of the filipino styles teach stuff that would be difficult, at best, to respond to in court. . .where you're most likely to end up, even if it's only civil court after the prosecutor fails to charge you.

Some styles teach things like a cut across the forehead, a belly cut or even cuts to the throat/carotids. Those cuts are not in the general MBC curriculum. They generally do nothing to rapidly incapacitate and can actually harm YOU, later.

What's going to happen, if you use those cuts out of a response due to training is that you WILL find yourself having to defend your responses. Imagine walking into a court room with your lawyer and finding six-foot-tall, full color posters of your attacker on easels. The accusers will put the goriest, grossest pictures possible up to sway the jurors. And remember, in a civil trial, 51% is all it's going to take.

Oh, and "yes, I'm a martial artist and that's what I was trained to do" is not a valid argument. You just admitted that you had the skill and the pictures show you did the crime. Now, instead of making you look like a victim, you're going to be the one trying to convince the jury that YOU are the victim, not him.

However, using defensive cuts to, say, the forearm, bicep, tricep, quadricep, etc., that have a very specific purpose can be explained much more easily under the umbrella of "defensive" strikes.

Getting into a full-blown Filipino Martial Art from MBC is like going from a Combatives program to Judo or Jujitsu style. Again, nothing wrong with a full-blown martial art. I've studied several and hold black belts in several (Taekwondo, Aikijutsu, Aikido, Goshin-jutsu) and higher ranking color belts in several more (Isshin-ryu Karate, Judo, Hakko-Ryu Jujitsu and Chon Tu Kwan Hapkido along with 5 years of Brazilian JiuJitsu taken alongside the Goshin-Jutsu).

But those were accomplished over almost 40 years of study and travelling. I just recognized certain things as I got my ass kicked. Simpler is better. . .at least for me.

The Professor
    (Too young to die, too old to get my ass kicked.)

The Professor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Evansville
    Since it's been a few months and is now way down on the list, I thought I'd bump it up near the top to see if anyone new views it.

Still looking to start an MBC group down in Evansville area. I trained off-and-on for several years in MBC in Colorado with Janich's oldest student. Would love to get back into it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Move to Indy, then I'm in! Hit an MBC class in Chicago area last year, and have spoken several times with Janich about an Indy area class/group, but so far no one qualified to instruct in the area!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I run a Pekiti Tirsia Kali group here in Bloomington, under Tuhon Rommel Tortal.

One of our "Lakan Guro's" is down in Evansville, if you are ever looking for someone to work with.
    Isaac Birch is a talented guy that is down there too. He's an Inosanto and Pekiti Tirsia guy:
    Integrity Martial Arts Academy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom