The shop is alive, well sort of, but knives are being made and stuff forged!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I am glad to say, that the new shop is alive. I am still trying to figure the logistics out of running power down there, but for now I just have to make do and get some work done. I've got my generator down there to power a few tools as I need them, till we get a line run down.
    The propane forge is back to burning. My old burner was pretty crude, but worked for as I saved some funds up for a real nice one and it burns much, much better.
    IMG_1431_large.jpg

Also got the the sign I my in-laws gave me for Christmas hung outside the forge area. Still need to get the trim done, but for now I am just glad to be back to forging.
    IMG_1435_large.jpg

This owl opener is the first item out of the new shop. I saw a partially finished one in Lyle Wynn's shop when I took a class there and loved it and thought I try to make it as well. If you want one, I've got them listed here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/collections/jg-tools/products/jg-knives-forged-bottle-opener-owl
    IMG_1436_large.jpg

I felt since I got some work done to treat myself to a lil' dinner. Filet, grilled bread and some green stuff and a nice hoppy brew.
    IMG_1351_large.jpg

Another run around the top of Glassy Mountain. It's like 5-7 minutes from the house, so I run/ruck/hike it often.
    IMG_1383_large.jpg

The owl is fending off the Hate Pig.
    IMG_1438_large.jpg

Lugging all the tools down was no fun at all, but more progress on getting things set up in the new shop is nice. This project has taken quite some time, but in the end, seeing come together is nothing short of awesome.
    IMG_1440_large.jpg

The forge area already has a "worked in" look.
    IMG_1441_large.jpg

Forged a set of these for a good friend. I made a few extras of each and they can be found on the tools page here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/collections/jg-tools
    IMG_1449_large.jpg

First attempt at forging a blade shaped object. Taking lots of notes as I go.I am hoping to take a "Intro to Bladesmithing Class" later this year with my friend Jason Knight, but I had an itch and needed to scratch it.
    IMG_1451_large.jpg

For the most part I am happy with it, learned a lot, have even more questions now. I ordered some 5160 to do some real knives with, but this will open the heck out of some letters for someone here soon.
    IMG_1452_large.jpg

Need to grind a bevel and clean it up a bit, but I'll take it for a first attempt so far.
    IMG_1453_large.jpg

I've got some of my buddies "NoBro" patches still available. Order here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/collections/edc-gadgets-more
    IMG_1456_large.jpg

Over the weekend the family and I have begun our yearly treks to National Battlefield. This year we started with Ninety Six, which was the first land battle of the American Revolution to take place in the south. A loyalist stronghold that some Patriots wanted to take back. It is a cool site and I suggest if you get a chance to check it out.
    IMG_1459_large.jpg

A few from where Greene's patriots began there siege on the Star Fort at Ninety Six.
    IMG_1467_large.jpg

I am still heat treating knives.. I got two done for this batch, a B.T.K. and Slicer in O1.
    IMG_1482_large.jpg

No. 81, Slicer in O1.
    IMG_1485_large.jpg

No. 82, B.T.K. in O1
    IMG_1488_large.jpg

Running power to the shop has been a headache. I've had more than a few electricians come out and either they come do a quote and never hear back or they don't want to do it because of the woods and the hassle the trench to bury the line would be. However my neighbor who has helped with this the whole way, has a tractor and a backhoe.. So power is making it to this shop in the next few days.
    IMG_1486_large.jpg

The last of the Super Hot Pepper Seasoning is up and available. I'm getting ready to put the plants in for 2016, so after this batch is gone, we won't see more till late summer. Jam season should follow around then as well.
    I've got the Booster Blend in tins and vials. Vials are now offered in a 2 pack to maximize shipping. Also have the Applewood Smoked blend in tins as well. Order here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/collections/hot-peppers-such
    IMG_1490_large.jpg

Horse head style openers are now available. I banged this one out tonight and will refine them a bit, but that are available here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/products/jg-knives-forged-bottle-opener-horse-head
    IMG_1497_large.jpg

-J

gloxrok

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    NC Indiana
    Have always enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your progress. Your posts/blog take time, and they are appreciated. You do great work! I'm planning to swing by AGS in fort wayne tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nice post...A customer just got back from Cowpens and 96....A lot of history down there...It's been said the Revolution in SC was more a civil war than a revolution....Loyalist and Patriots mixed about even...I read one account where a guy had switched sides six times, depending on what side the family he wanted to fight was on....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think that after Gamez235 gets more experience with forging knives that he should try-out for "Forged in Fire!"

Top Bottom