Making knives and catching fish, it's a living, I suppose.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Full Post Here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/blogs/news/making-knives-and-catching-fish-its-a-living-i-suppose

Knives are definitely being made even though the heat here is steadily climbing. Some rain would be nice to take the edge off some days, but I am still getting some work done.

JGK_1044_large.jpg

No. 95 & 95, an Original Gamez Knife (O.G.K.) and Harpoon Style Knife (H.S.K.) ready for heat. Got to use some fresh belts for these and the difference that makes is amazing.

JGK_0993_large.jpg

Neighbor and I snuck out on Lake Keowee for some evening fishing. First time on that lake so I wasn't really sure what to expect. Some insane houses and decent fishing spots we what I found though.

JGK_0996_large.jpg

Small spotted bass near a gold course. Good night of fishing.

JGK_0997_large.jpg

The state of the bench. Several knives in progress. I think I have finally found a good rhythm to make my work flow. Keeping 3-4 knives at varying stages is working for me.

JGK_0998_large.jpg

6am at the shop. Have to get out there early to beat the heat of the day. Muggy humidty and high heat are the daily norm the past week, getting in the shop before the high strikes is letting me some work done in about as close to comfortable temps.

JGK_1015_large.jpg

These two are done and already off to new homes. One to Indiana the other to the west coast.

JGK_1012_large.jpg

This one is in O1 tool steel and wrapped in Denim Micarta w/ red fiber liners.
    WIP Thread: No. 93, S.W.K.
    JGK_1009_large.jpg

This Little Utility Knife (L.U.K.) makes my 94th knife. Rare for me to not etch knives, but these two look great as they were, so I left them in the raw.
    WIP Thread: No. 94, L.U.K.

JGK_1010_large.jpg

Next two up are coming along nicely and ready for final finishing.

JGK_1020_large.jpg

Had a piece of 1" D2 in the shop and wasn't overly sure what I was gonna do with it. Originally i had planned to make prybars out of it, but once the marker came out this happened. I guess it is my take on the neck knife.

JGK_1022_large.jpg

Cut up 3ft worth of these to do. Not sure on the grind yet or finish. May switch it up and put them out in a few variants.

JGK_1024_large.jpg

Settled on this for the profile.

JGK_1026_large.jpg

The bench is getting a bit cluttered. The L.U.K. is done, neckers post heat treat, the O.G.K. ready for a sheath, and a sneak peak at No. 97 & No. 98.

JGK_1030_large.jpg

Back on the water and started Saturday reeling this Hybrid on some brand new Ugly Stiks. I've probably had the same 3 fishing poles for 10 years and having been spending more time on the water decided it was time to upgrade. It was like driving a old car ready to fall apart to a brand new one. Ugly Stik GX2's paired with Shimano Syncopates with my fathers day loot and I am catching fish again.

JGK_1032_large.jpg

Crazy lil' fawn wasn't scared of us. We managed to troll up to the shore in the boat and the lil fella strolled on up to the boat. Let us pet it a bit, bit my neighbor and after a few minutes took off back into the woods. Awesome experience.

JGK_1037_large.jpg

My daughter landing her first fish all on her own.

JGK_1039_large.jpg

Making a bit of progress. The Sunday look at what I need to get done this week.

JGK_1040_large.jpg

Got the bow out after dinner and managed this for my first shots of 2016. Shame I am going to have to restring it before deer season, but for now it's dialed in... Or I am just lucky.

JGK_1042_large.jpg

Need to finish the sheaths for these, but for the hard parts, they are done.

JGK_1043_large.jpg

Coyote G10 for this O.G.K.
    WIP Thread: No. 95, O.G.K.
    Available Here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/collections/jg-knives-fixed-blades/products/jg-knives-o-g-k
    JGK_1045_large.jpg

The second Harpoon Style Knife (H.S.K.) I've made. This one in D2 with Red/Black Micarta.
    WIP Thread: No. 96, H.S.K.
    Available Here:
    https://www.jgknives.com/collections/jg-knives-fixed-blades/products/jg-knives-h-s-k

JGK_1048_large.jpg

-JG

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I used to go to the Wilds' summer camp every year as a kid.
    My sister lives in Greenville.
    Gosh I miss it down there.
    your knives are really cool

signed,
    future customer

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    It seems like a very nice living if I must say! The knives look awesome and the fishing doesn't look bad either.

Thanks sir. I think I am getting better, at the fishing.

I used to go to the Wilds' summer camp every year as a kid.
    My sister lives in Greenville.
    Gosh I miss it down there.
    your knives are really cool

signed,
    future customer

I appreciate the kind words. I like it down here. We live more towards the mountains, Table Rock is a few miles from the house. It's a nice place to live, I do miss Indiana now and then though.

Top Bottom