• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Bout to purchase a few Ontario Rat I's. I have been utterly impressed with the Rat II's. Anything better in the same price range vs the Ontario's?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Not at that price point, the only real competition is Spyderco's Tenacious and it is still about $20 more than the Rat 2. That being said if you do decide to go slightly higher than $50 the Spyderco Delica 4 is a really good option as well, and it will hold an edge much better than the Rat 2's 55rc AUS-8.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    What Dean Crail said.

If you're after an inexpensive useful folder, I've found the Victorinox Pioneer and/or Farmer to be good knives. For a light duty slicer with some other useful tools that aren't very thick, they are pretty nice to have around.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    You can get the USA made Kershaw link for around $27, with nylon scales.

In my opinion way more knife than the RAT for only $2.00 more.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The Ontario RAT I is actually a good knife. The steel isn't top of the line (AUS8A), but the blade is thin and a full flat grind. It's a better cutting tool than most others in the price range for that reason.

Another option are the Buck 110 and 112. You can find them under $50 and their track record is proven.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    You guys keep saying Kershaw, and every time I look at them they dont do anything for me. Are they better in person?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'll agree with the rhino on this one. I like the rat, but the Bucks, while a bit heavier, are great knives. The 112 was my primary folder when I was in the military and it served me quite well.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    You guys keep saying Kershaw, and every time I look at them they dont do anything for me. Are they better in person?

They don't do anything for me either, but that has nothing to do with their quality. I've just never seen a model that I cared for. Spyderco, on the other hand, has a lot of offerings I can barely keep myself from purchasing.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Best sub-$50 folder?

Easy...

tks_1983_erin1.png

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm I think I may have to buy my first Buck knife....

You don't have one??!!! And you're from Indiana??

The regular 110 and 112 are a great value. Some people dismiss the 420HC steel, but the heat treatment (done by Paul Bos) is the best you can get for that steel and that application. Also, the edge geometry is magnificent. There are stronger knives, knives you can open with one hand, etc., but very few that you can get that sharp and will slice as well.

If you want to bump it up a notch, build your own at the Buck custom shop (Buck® Knives - OFFICIAL SITE - Hunting and Tactical Knives). For a around $100-150 you can get a really nice knife made the way you want it with an CPM S30V blade.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

The regular 110 and 112 are a great value. Some people dismiss the 420HC steel, but the heat treatment (done by Paul Bos) is the best you can get for that steel and that application. Also, the edge geometry is magnificent. There are stronger knives, knives you can open with one hand, etc., but very few that you can get that sharp and will slice as well.

If you want to bump it up a notch, build your own at the Buck custom shop (Buck® Knives - OFFICIAL SITE - Hunting and Tactical Knives). For a around $100-150 you can get a really nice knife made the way you want it with an CPM S30V blade.

I know, it's shameful.

I had no idea you could customize one. I see I can get one in nickel....and do I want finger grooves? Hmm...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I know, it's shameful.

I had no idea you could customize one. I see I can get one in nickel....and do I want finger grooves? Hmm...

I like the nickel bolsters with the water buffalo scales, no grooves. I can't decide if I want rivets or not.

It would be sweet to have a matched 110/112 pair.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Dang it! I can't stop looking at that site. I'm seriously thinking of custom ordering my first buck knife.

Top Bottom