• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Hello INGO, it's been a while since I've been on (though I doubt anyone's actually missed me) and I'm back to glean more knowledge. As some of you may remember, I'm a bit of a knife novice (https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/cutting-edge/348733-please-explain.html) but I'm finally starting to understand the argument for nicer tools.

I'm currently in the market for a new EDC blade and a reliable way to keep it sharp. I'd like to hover around the $200 range for the knife and the sharpener.

My research is leading me toward S30V steel for the blade and likely G10 for the handle (my hands sweat a lot). I'm thinking a good balance of desire and budget would land me at the Paramilitary 2.

As for the sharpening system, I'm considering a Sharpmaker with the addition of an extra fine stone and a Knives Plus loaded strop block.

Questions? Comments? Rebuttal?

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    Materials seem to be well thought out to me and I have always enjoyed my spiderco knives. I'm not a big fan of th type of
    sharpening system, though. I always struggled to maintain an edge until I began using a strop.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I found one of the lansky sharpeners at the habitat for humanity restore and my sharp maker hasn't seen the light of day since. The lansky is just so much easier for me to operate.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I found one of the lansky sharpeners at the habitat for humanity restore and my sharp maker hasn't seen the light of day since. The lansky is just so much easier for me to operate.

HamsterStyle, I looked up the Lansky sharpening tool line. They have all types of sharpeners from single tool edge scraper type to several different kits. Which Lansky product do you endorse? I am using a Smiths pull through type and it is ok for kitchen knives, but some knives I want to take to the next level.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    I USED to own a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Used to.

I just couldn't keep my arm/wrist/hand vertical enough in order to keep the blade-meets-stone at the optimum angle. Just couldn't do it.

I now have a Lanskey. I THINK it's this one: Standard 3-Stone Sharpening System | Precision Knife Sharpening Kit I'm pretty sure that I bought it from Amazon.

That's the same kit I have. Mine was missing a stone when I got it so I ordered the fine stone from amazon. I found my kit for $5 or so at the Restore and ordered the stand and the fine stone from amazon for $20 or so. I am NO expert in any way shape or form, but for me, it is way easier to use than the sharp maker. That said, if you have a narrow knife blade such ashort a paring knife or something you want to put a real fine edge on, it can be tough because the clamp gets in the way of the stone. I have only had this issue on 2 relatively small knives. Definitely not a deal breaker for me.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I think that would make you an excellent knife, and the Sharp Maker (with the additional stones :yesway") is really hard to beat. You definitely won't be disappointed with that combination.

And for what it's worth, I have the above Lansky sharpener and absolutely hate it. If anyone is tired of their Sharpmaker and wants to trade, I would be more than happy to accommodate.

But that brings up another point, threads like this are going to produce a lot of opinion. "My knife is the better choice, ..... because that's the one I bought", etc..... Probably the best thing you could do is get with someone like Brad on here (https://www.revolvertactical.com/), and handle as many different options as you can.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

I USED to own a Spyderco Sharpmaker. Used to.

I just couldn't keep my arm/wrist/hand vertical enough in order to keep the blade-meets-stone at the optimum angle. Just couldn't do it.

I now have a Lanskey. I THINK it's this one: Standard 3-Stone Sharpening System | Precision Knife Sharpening Kit I'm pretty sure that I bought it from Amazon.

The Lansky does seem to be able to give a more consistent angle. I've never had success with a whetstone and I'm horrible at judging angles and whatnot.

What about the stones? How fine of an edge can I get with the supplied stones in the Lansky system? I've seen people get good results on the Internetz with the Sharpmaker's supplied stones plus the UF stones and a strop. If I were to go with the Lansky, I thought about buying the 5-piece kit plus the super sapphire stone and the stropping attachment. I would assume that combo would give me a crazy nice edge?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I think that would make you an excellent knife, and the Sharp Maker (with the additional stones :yesway") is really hard to beat. You definitely won't be disappointed with that combination.

And for what it's worth, I have the above Lansky sharpener and absolutely hate it. If anyone is tired of their Sharpmaker and wants to trade, I would be more than happy to accommodate.

But that brings up another point, threads like this are going to produce a lot of opinion. "My knife is the better choice, ..... because that's the one I bought", etc..... Probably the best thing you could do is get with someone like Brad on here (https://www.revolvertactical.com/), and handle as many different options as you can.

Is there any particular reasons that you don't care for the Lansky system?

I expected to get differing opinions from actual users and that's why I decided to start this thread. Anytime you Google something, the results seem to be skewed toward the positive end of things and you really have to dig and burn a lot of time to hear from the detractors.

As for handling multiple options, I'd love to but I don't really have the time or budget to be driving all over the place. Are there any knife dealers close to the Bloomington or Linton area that I'm unaware of? The only things I seem to be able to come up with are the big box stores who carry the low-end Chinese-made knives, the gas stations who carry the "Ultra-cool-but-utterly-useless Zombie killer 3000," and the mom and pop hardware/work wear stores that carry one small display of Case knives.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    ZT 0566

And use the remainder to get a lot of 600-1000 grit sandpaper and learn how to strop/convex your edges

Why the 0566 over the PM2? As much as I like the satisfying "click" of an AO knife, it seems to me like one more thing that can break at the worst time. I'm more of a bare-bones utilitarian type of guy. That's not to say that AO is out of the question but it is a concern.

As far as convexing, I'm not sure I'm in that league just yet. Which ever sharpening system I go with will be the first real sharpener I've owned aside from pull-through models.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Why the 0566 over the PM2? As much as I like the satisfying "click" of an AO knife, it seems to me like one more thing that can break at the worst time. I'm more of a bare-bones utilitarian type of guy. That's not to say that AO is out of the question but it is a concern.

As far as convexing, I'm not sure I'm in that league just yet. Which ever sharpening system I go with will be the first real sharpener I've owned aside from pull-through models.

Convex is pretty easy, really. Angle is not as critical, you'll sharpen at a lower angle than you would with flat bevels. Just use a soft backed like a mouse pad and push down into the paper as you make your strokes. It makes for a durable edge that doesn't give up anything in sharpness.

Most AO's will function like a non AO knife if the spring breaks.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Mainly thinking of total price. I missed that part where you said you sweat a lot, so a knife with G10 on both sides might be better. I've always liked the Manix too.

The assisted opening is a cool feature but a lot of people de-assist the 0566. And if the spring does break it functions fine without them.

Convex is pretty easy, really. Angle is not as critical, you'll sharpen at a lower angle than you would with flat bevels. Just use a soft backed like a mouse pad and push down into the paper as you make your strokes. It makes for a durable edge that doesn't give up anything in sharpness.

Most AO's will function like a non AO knife if the spring breaks.

Yup, convexing is easy, less precise and gives you a very durable, maintainable, and lasting edge.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    If you have a chance, a look at the Fox Dart Karambit might interest you. I carry two every day, one for left pocket and one for the right. The most compelling reason to choose it is the speed of deployment. In my testing, they are as fast as a fixed blade to deploy. Blade length might enter into your decision. It has been a while since I looked up the specs of the Dart, but I think blade length was made 2.75" long intentially to fall under maximum blade length of many municipalities knife laws. Build quality is excellent. Cost will fall into your range. I suppose the decision to go to it might hinge on your willingness to go with the Wave/Karambit format. The cost doesn't break the bank, so even if you decided it wasn't for you after all, post it in the knives section of the classifieds and I'll buy it from you. I love them!

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Here you go, for $200 darn near exactly this is impossible to beat. A titanium framelock ZT0620 featuring Elmax steel (I like Elmax better than S30 as it is much less likely to "roll" in my experience). You stated that you like simplicity in a knife this is pretty much is just a big old titanium locking bar with a stainless steel lock interface has a G10 show side so your sweaty hands are a non-issue and best of all IMHO it features an Emerson Wave opener. I personally carry a 0620CF myself and it is a great EDC knife IMHO slices really well and is a overall great knife, just a bit of a higher end option versus the PM2 and at the same price point currently as the 0620 has been discontinued and is no longer protected under ZT's MAP policy.

Zero Tolerance 0620 Tanto Emerson Knife (3.60" Black) ZT - Blade HQ

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Profe...=1482112304&sr=8-4&keywords=lansky+sharpeners

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The spyderco with the wave is faster than any auto assist...

If you have a chance, a look at the Fox Dart Karambit might interest you. I carry two every day, one for left pocket and one for the right. The most compelling reason to choose it is the speed of deployment. In my testing, they are as fast as a fixed blade to deploy. Blade length might enter into your decision. It has been a while since I looked up the specs of the Dart, but I think blade length was made 2.75" long intentially to fall under maximum blade length of many municipalities knife laws. Build quality is excellent. Cost will fall into your range. I suppose the decision to go to it might hinge on your willingness to go with the Wave/Karambit format. The cost doesn't break the bank, so even if you decided it wasn't for you after all, post it in the knives section of the classifieds and I'll buy it from you. I love them!

Here you go, for $200 darn near exactly this is impossible to beat. A titanium framelock ZT0620 featuring Elmax steel (I like Elmax better than S30 as it is much less likely to "roll" in my experience). You stated that you like simplicity in a knife this is pretty much is just a big old titanium locking bar with a stainless steel lock interface has a G10 show side so your sweaty hands are a non-issue and best of all IMHO it features an Emerson Wave opener. I personally carry a 0620CF myself and it is a great EDC knife IMHO slices really well and is a overall great knife, just a bit of a higher end option versus the PM2 and at the same price point currently as the 0620 has been discontinued and is no longer protected under ZT's MAP policy.

Zero Tolerance 0620 Tanto Emerson Knife (3.60" Black) ZT - Blade HQ

https://www.amazon.com/Lansky-Profe...=1482112304&sr=8-4&keywords=lansky+sharpeners

Not really interested in tanto blades or the Wave system. My wife is terrified of sharps (no clue why but I can't seem to break her of it) and sometimes she will snatch my knife out of my pocket to use which could have bad consequences, worse still if I'm actually wearing the pants.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What about S110V as opposed to S30V? I chose the S30V because it seemed like a very well-rounded steel, is the S110V just a better version?

Also, can anyone compare the PM2 to the Manix 2?

The ZT knives are nice, and I've heard nothing but great things about them, but for some reason I like the looks of the Spyderco line better.

Top Bottom