• Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    Here is what came in the box, minus the velcro straps:

20161230_180035_zpsvjfzmvr0.jpg

I noticed two things immediately after opening the box. First is how heavy the knife is. It has a great heft to it. Second was how incredibly comfortable it was in my hand. The knife was pretty sharp right out of the box.

Here is a size comparison (ESEE 6 on top, Condor Bushlore on the bottom):

20161230_180127_zpswgqolxjz.jpg

I used some old branches to see how the knife would do, and it did very well. It was able to dig in when I wanted it to and it would be a find featherstick maker in my opinion. I did some light chopping with it even though this is far from a chopper and it did ok despite it's size limitations. The spine is ground to a ninety degree angle, and while I didn't use it to throw sparks, considering how sharp the edge of the spine is I can't imagine it won't throw tons. I do have one negative to throw in. The knife sits way down in the sheath, and it can be hard to withdraw from the sheath because of it.

20161230_180241_zpswcx61yva.jpg

Overall it's a small gripe for a knife I felt did everything else pretty darn good. I see this knife being a great truck/get home bag knife, based on it's abilities and the fact being stainless steel you don't have to worry about it rusting sitting in your truck or car. This is also a knife that I think would be a great gift for someone just starting out in preparedness. It's not going to break the bank, and with a ferro rod it would be a great start for someone. I paid $62 on Amazon, but I have seen it as low as $55. So if you want one be patient. For the price, I think it's pretty hard to beat.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thanks for the review!

Do you think it's worth about twice as much a Bushlore (wood handle)?

People have been wanting a full tang Mora for a while, so I hope all of them give this knife a try and it meets their expectations. If they do the same knife in carbon steel, I'll probably give it a try.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I would say yes, but I can understand if someone was to disagree with me. I love my Bushlore, but the Garberg is so solid. I would like to see them do a six inch version of the Garberg and I think that would be a flat out awesome knife.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I would say yes, but I can understand if someone was to disagree with me. I love my Bushlore, but the Garberg is so solid. I would like to see them do a six inch version of the Garberg and I think that would be a flat out awesome knife.

If they made the blade proportionally wider, I think that would be an awesome tool! The proportions of that thing are spot-on.

I need to keep reminding myself that I haven't even been outside with my Battlehorse Smokey Mountain Razor yet when I start thinking of something new. I even sent a text message jsharmon7 earlier today that my knife fever isn't too strong now. Now it's sparking again!

I actually like the Scandinavian style of sheath where the knife sits low. It makes it a lot harder to lose, but by necessity it makes it harder to draw. I suppose it's more important to have that with leather than with rigid polymer.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    My EDC fixed blade sits in a deep sheath that I carry "scout"'style. I love it. I wrap my thumb and index finger around the 1/3 of the handle that is exposed, and as I draw I close my hand. This leaves it in the hand in a position for a quick defensive slash. But in my normal everyday use, I just quickly flip it to a normal grip. This part is easy because of the balance. But this is preference, I'm sure.

I love the knife, I hope you get a lot of great use from it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I just noticed the exposed metal at the butt. That's a good thing to have. I could have used it last week when I had to break some ice on stairs I had to ascend.

Top Bottom