• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Could someone recommend for me a kitchen knife sharpener that works? I have a a lot of kitchen knives, including few nice quality knives that were passed to me that have been neglected and need a new edge.

Ideal would be a combination electric for rough shaping and manual for finishing. Two separate tools is OK too.

st8kfinger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2016
    north east
    I bought a knock off edge pro apex on eBay for around $20, they call them fixed angle knife sharpener's. I get pretty decent edges with it and I am not a good sharpener.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I purchased a Workharp Ken Onion edition and have been pleased with its performance on my wife's 17 kitchen knives. Once you have the knife re-profiled to convex it is really fast to sharpen the knife back to a razor edge with just a few passes over the belt. I don't let the knives go too long between sharpening touch ups. I am getting good life out of the belts, too.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Fiskars and many others make these and similar sharpeners for putting a quick edge on:
    71FxOc-xezL._SL1200_.jpg

As a suggestion, you could use the above type for cleaning up some of the more neglected blades and for general sharpening for your less expensive knives, then use a diamond GATCO, Lansky, or other guided sharpener for your nicer ones and for fine honing.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Those v edge sharpeners are terrible for a knife edge.

I found the Chinese style edge pro to work well, but the stones with it are crap.

I use a ceramic rod for keeping the edges sharp between "real" sharpenings. Works well and looks like a steel, so it fits in that slot of the knife block.

Top Bottom