• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just curious if any of you incorporate a fixed blade in your EDC.

What kind of knife model, sheath, method of carry do you use?

I'm not talking about a large fixed blade to go hiking, camping.
    More like for your urban EDC.
    For either defensive use or utility tasks.

Pictures of your setup are welcome. :)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Hinderer TDI and FXMs are pretty handy

I've carried an Emerson La Griffe and a Spyderco Swick 3 before

Never had the courage for the TDI cause you don't see them much anymore

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    P1070131.JPG

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    For me it's an ESEE-4 Carried IWB weak side right behind my spare mag. I made the carrier out of kydex. The soft belt loops make it very easy to slip it off and on. It's my everyday knife weather I'm working, camping or out and about. When I'm staying home in my comfy cloths it's an Izula around the neck.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Esee 3 iwb daily here, loved it from day one!
    I like the 3 too. The handle is the same size. The reason I went with the 4 is I wanted a thicker blade for prying and spliting firewood. I'm not saying that the 3 can't do that stuff but I just want the beeferness of the 4

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Nice setup.It's quite a large knife for IWB carry.

For me it's an ESEE-4 Carried IWB weak side right behind my spare mag. I made the carrier out of kydex. The soft belt loops make it very easy to slip it off and on. It's my everyday knife weather I'm working, camping or out and about. When I'm staying home in my comfy cloths it's an Izula around the neck.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Spyderco SPOT serrated as a GOM knife for last 12 years. Working on a new version, a 2.5" finger ring skinner with serrated swedge.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Understand the need for the 4. I find the 3 hard to beat for my needs edc wise anyways. I carry a folder or my Swiss Army knife also for normal use. Just ordered one of the esee folders to have also. I looked for a good iwb sheath for my Ka bar for awhile but didn't find what I wanted.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to neck carry an Izula all the time, but when I discovered the TOPS Tibo, I switched to it because it has a thinner, slicier blade.

I've neck carried a variety of fixed blades, including a pre-ESEE RAT 4, ESEE 3, and a few others. The ESEE also work great inside the waistband with a tether connecting the end of the sheath to your belt. You just draw the knife and as you reach the end of the tether, the sheath pulls off. The edge is never exposed until you have it well clear of your body and clothes. I like the form, size, and geomtry of the ESEE 3 better than just about any other knife, but the 1095 isn't a great performer with respect to edge holding. If I could get an ESEE 3 in a better steel (O1, A2, 5160, 51200, or something high end like CPM 3V), I'd be on it.

Lately I've been switching back and forth between a Battlehorse Smokey Mountain Razor (Scandi) and an LT Wright Genesis (flat grind) on my belt in their danglers. Not great for concealment, but excellent for keeping it handy, but out of the way when you need to move it. They're clearly not intended to be used as a weapon, but for cutting stuff that needs cutting, they rock.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a bunch of folders and fixed blades, but the one I ended up carrying everyday is this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0028FL7G6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put it in an different sheath than it came with, a leather one that encloses more of the knife. It fits in my pants pocket and rides nicely along the back seam, no clip shows to say I have a knife, yet it has a substantial enough blade and handle to use as a SD knife if needed. Because it is inexpensive I don't mind using it as a tool as well as a SD implement, so I have cut a lot of card board boxes, dug dirt with it, cut wire, pried things, used as emergency screw driver and chisel, broken up ice, etc etc. All those things are tough on the edge, but I just sharpen it myself at home and good as new. I can put a pretty fine edge on it too.

I would not use a cheap folder because it requires more quality parts and labor to make it sturdy and safe, but a fixed blade is basically a sliver of steel with a handle on it, so I don't think it requires a lot of effort to do what I needed to do. If I went off to the back country or Afghanistan or something like that, I would pay for a very high quality steel to reduce the chances of breaking or bending the blade, but for my daily life this one is perfectly fine.

51%2BAnZoEYCL._SL1500_.jpg

Top Bottom