• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Do buzz saw blades make a good steel for knife and tomahawks? If so I have the following, 1-22", 1-20", 3-18", and 1-16" blades. If these are a good base I would interested in having 1 hunting knife and 1 tomahawk made from them. I would like to work out an arrangement of materials for service. I also have a nice 30 year old Walnut board about 8" X 5' X 1" that I would throw in for the scales. Let me know if you would be interested in such an arrangement.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Do buzz saw blades make a good steel for knife and tomahawks? If so I have the following, 1-22", 1-20", 3-18", and 1-16" blades. If these are a good base I would interested in having 1 hunting knife and 1 tomahawk made from them. I would like to work out an arrangement of materials for service. I also have a nice 30 year old Walnut board about 8" X 5' X 1" that I would throw in for the scales. Let me know if you would be interested in such an arrangement.

I'm a stock removal guy, so I can't help you with forging. I know freakforge does some, though.

I can tell you that using mystery steel can make it hard or impossible to get a good heat treat.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    I'm a stock removal guy, so I can't help you with forging. I know freakforge does some, though.

I can tell you that using mystery steel can make it hard or impossible to get a good heat treat.

+1 with Woobie. Some of these manufacture's use L6 steel and other's use 10__ steel. From what I have been told, there is no
    rule of thumb to these. Many of the lower end pieces use anything that is the cheapest that week.

A few friends have made nice looking knives from these but never really know how they will work until HT'd and tested.
    They HT'd these as if they were 1084 or 1095 steels.

Unfortunately, it is a crap shoot with these. You may get a great working knife or just maybe a working tool for the shop.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So... my plan does not sound too good. Suppose I will recycle them or have someone paint nice landscape pictures on them.

Why not use them to practice? Even if the heat treat isn't perfect, you can still get some excellent practice on the other stuff.

Top Bottom