• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    I spent a few hours in the Seymour emergency room monday night. A buddy and I had just finished slicing our way through the dense woods when we came to the bank of the East fork of White river. I found what looked like a good place to step down close to the water. Machete in hand, I stepped down onto the shallow slope. The slope was much more slippery than it looked and I started sliding feet first toward the river. So I stuck my machete into the mud to give me something to grab onto. And it worked. I stopped and turned around to make my way back up. That's when I slipped and ran my hand down the blade. Thank God my buddy was there to help me up out of the mud. We saw that I was bleeding pretty badly. I wrapped my t-shirt around my hand and made my way back to the jeep. We rinsed it off, saw fat tissue, dressed the wound, and decided to go to the ER.

They saw me pretty quickly at the ER. I had to explain about three times that I wasn't "playing around" with a machete. Got a tetanus shot. Had the fingers cleaned, numbed, and sewed up. I ended up severing an artery and a nerve in my pinky finger. I'll probably have some permanent loss of feeling, but fortunately no loss of function. Hopefully I'll be playing guitar in a few weeks.

Overall, it was an okay experience. I definitely learned a few important lessons:

Don't go into the woods alone.

If in the woods; have a first aid kit on your person. So you don't have to walk all the way back to your car.

Don't hold a sharp object if you're on loose ground.

It only takes a a second for things to go bad.

Feel free to share your similar stories. Maybe then I won't feel like such a jack@ss.

cutfinger1.jpg

cutfingers2.jpg

Photos taken with my cell phone at the ER prior to the stitches. They really don't do it justice.

Last edited:

United

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Dang. That could have ended much worse for you you know..be thankful. Glad it was no worse than it was for you...hope it heals quickly and good for you.

Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Thanks. It really could've been MUCH worse. I was more bummed about having to cancel the camping trip than hurting myself.

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Find a really nice fat pillow to rest your arm on at night. Its hard to keep it still the first couple of night but its worth it. I took a couple percs and dozzed off I didn;t move to role over on my wound.

Best of luck!
    J

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ouch.

Now try to imagine a guy 21 feet away from you yelling like a banshee and coming at you with one! Yikes!

I think I'd rather be shot than cut with a knife/ax/machete/box cutter. Yuck.

Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Ouch.

Now try to imagine a guy 21 feet away from you yelling like a banshee and coming at you with one! Yikes!

I think I'd rather be shot than cut with a knife/ax/machete/box cutter. Yuck.

Hopefully I'd be well armed in such a situation. Hope I never have to find out which hurts worse.

Anyone else have any self-inflicted blade injury stories they'd like to share?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Anyone else have any self-inflicted blade injury stories they'd like to share?

I'll tattle on Integraholic. :D

He was over at the house one night and I was showing him my then-new CRKT Polkowski Companion fixed blade.

It was in a kydex sheath, so he attempted to remove it. Unfortunately his grip on the sheath was a bit too high, and he pulled the blade through a portion of his finger tip. We both looked down at the ground when we heard the "plop, plop" of blood dripping down in big drops on the floor (thank goodness for those clear chair-roller-carpet-cover-thingys!).

He's now got a cool scar and we laugh about it. :yesway:

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Overall, it was an okay experience. I definitely learned a few important lessons:

Don't go into the woods alone.

If in the woods; have a first aid kit on your person. So you don't have to walk all the way back to your car.

Don't hold a sharp object if you're on loose ground.

It only takes a a second for things to go bad.

Great points to keep in mind - especially the comment about a first aid kit. To me keeping a first aid kit handy is a lot like having a carry weapon. You hope not to need either, but if you do there is just no good substitute.

Glad all is well. I got stabbed once in the hand and the knife cut some nerves. That was many years ago and it still surprises me sometimes when I realize that I can't feel a certain part of my thumb. You'll like that part!

Jeronimo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    looks like a good excuse for a bottle of whiskey to me!!!! ...take a little of the edge off..

I'm only 20, so I don't even know what whisky is...

But apparently I'm old enough for the narcotics they gave me. They're doing a pretty good job at taking the edge off. Haha.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Ouch!!! Sucks that you accidently filleted your fingers, but glad the good folks in the ER got you tacken care of!

When I was probably 10 or so, I got my very own Buck Knife to use when deer hunting. Well, didn't get a deer that year, but we did get a few quail during a hunt that fall. I used my brand new knife to help clean them (yeah, that knife was more than I needed, but hey, I was 10 and had a knife!!).

When we were all done, I washed off the blade, and decided to dry it off. I ran it between some paper towels I was holding, and put a nice gut in my left index finger. Nothing too deep, but still felt and heard that sickening "slice" sound as I did it. Luckily I didn't need stitches, just a couple of tight band-aids and an ice cube to help keep the bleeding down.

To this day I get that cringe / hair on the neck feeling when I see or hear of a cut.

Hope you get well soon!

Top Bottom