• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I bought a take down 10/22 and wanted to thread it for my suppressor but promised my self I wouldn't do it until I figured out how to thread the barrel and keep the front sight.
    I have had this gun about 2 months trying to figure out how to do it and I finally did.

Now I feel dumb it took me so long. Trial and error baby. :)

Starting point :
    Not enough room to thread and keep the front sight

IMG_0144_zps27dfa174.jpg

This time I just cut the front band off instead of turning it down.

18.5 " barrel I removed about 1.150" So I am still good :

IMG_0151_zps048c6aaf.jpg

IMG_0159_zpsf6a36db6.jpg

Indexing the bore

IMG_0148_zps60499927.jpg

and some threading and Success. Oh yea and made a thread protector while I was at it :)

IMG_0174_zps805910c2.jpg

IMG_0177_zps55403580.jpg

IMG_0178_zps5b4538b2.jpg

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You, are a very smart man !!!!! I like to figure things out for myself, too. Doesn't always work out the way I want, but the learning experience, is second to none !!!!! :yesway:

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Just a couple of quick questions. How exactly did you cut off the band and then be able to reuse it? I cut the barrel by the same amount and still have the piece with the front band. Second, how did you reinstall the sight? You do quality work man, and I aspire to such greatness.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Just a couple of quick questions. How exactly did you cut off the band and then be able to reuse it? I cut the barrel by the same amount and still have the piece with the front band. Second, how did you reinstall the sight? You do quality work man, and I aspire to such greatness.

its a dovetail sight, it just pushes back in. As for the rest of it. The lathe is your friend :)

this was difficult because i could only find a couple people doing it and no instructions anywhere. I thought I was going to have to make something from scratch but I was just over thinking it.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    OK, so maybe I'm just thick and don't understand all that I know, but once the sight is out of the dovetail, do you just pull the band off and put it back on after turning down the barrel? I've done the lathe work on two so far, but the sight band is what gives me the trouble. You don't have to answer if this is your trade secret.

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Yea I kinda feel like I should keep it a secret since I had a hard time coming up with the solution but I have pretty much given it away anyhow :)

I am cutting the end of the barrel off that the sight band is on.
    Then I drill out the inside of the band and thread it.
    After that I am the boring part of the inside of the band so it goes over the unthreaded portion of the barrel.
    That way I don't have to trim it to index it I just screw it on and locktite it in place.

Last one I did I didn't even remove the sight from the dovetail.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    Yea I kinda feel like I should keep it a secret since I had a hard time coming up with the solution but I have pretty much given it away anyhow :)

I am cutting the end of the barrel off that the sight band is on.
    Then I drill out the inside of the band and thread it.
    After that I am the boring part of the inside of the band so it goes over the unthreaded portion of the barrel.
    That way I don't have to trim it to index it I just screw it on and locktite it in place.

Last one I did I didn't even remove the sight from the dovetail.

Cool! But also more work than I want to do. I'll stick with just not having a front site. The ones I have done have scopes mounted anyway. The one I bought from ShootinIron came threaded with re-mounted sight by Ruger. I'm GTG.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    How about adding a sight to a factory threaded barrel???

I have an ITAC 10/22 with no front sight but it does already have a threaded barrel...

What would that cost me?

RDunagan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    United States
    Very nice work. I think I can get most of the way there but wondeing how you grill the cut sight out to .500" you can cut the ID thread. Seems like the wall thickness would be so thin it would be hard to hold/thread without crushing the part.

Thanks and again, very clever.

Rick

AllenM

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Thanks,

I use a boring bar to get the exact size I want but you don't technically cut it to .500 that is to big for the threads to hold on to the barrel so it's a few thousandths under that, its not really that thin though. I hold it in the lathe.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I had a machinist friend thread my 10/22 barrels last year. Asked him to cut off the front sight, bore it out and turn down the barrel behind the threaded portion so the barrel band would be a press fit. We marked TDC and center of the band and lined it up, pressed it on with locktite and slid the piece back into the dovetail. Not as slick as threading, wish I had thought of that.

Top Bottom