• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    I was wondering when you sell a hand gun or any gun to another individual what paperwork do you have to do? because if you sell it privitaly isint it still in your name from the origional transaction at the dealer? thanks for any info

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You don't have to do anything. It is what the mis-informed and Libs and anti-gun folks call the "GUNSHOW LOOPHOLE".

And long may the flag of freedom wave.....Imagine, being able to sell an item that is your personal, private property without asking for the Federal Governments permission.

They are working hard to change that. They haven't done it yet.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok, I do not "know" for sure if paperwork needs to be done or not. However, I am willing to take your words that it does not.

Can anyone tell me why the majority of people selling items in the classified section stipulate: "Must be willing to, show Indiana Driver's License, LCTH, and sign a bill of sale"

JoeMumz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    paperwork when selling a firearm privately

what do you have to do paperwork wise when selling a firearm? wouldent the firearm still be in your name from when you filled out the paperwork at the dealer? is there anything to report to the PD or something so its no longer in your name thanks for any info - Joe

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Ok, I do not "know" for sure if paperwork needs to be done or not. However, I am willing to take your words that it does not.

Can anyone tell me why the majority of people selling items in the classified section stipulate: "Must be willing to, show Indiana Driver's License, LCTH, and sign a bill of sale"

because that is the terms the seller is setting..
    the seller can always require more than the law does..

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

Many think it "covers" something.

It doesn't.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    The 4473 checks you not the firearm, no gun registraction in Indiana, you can sell a firearm to a non felon Indiana resident over 18 with no paperwork, if you want to CYA you can take it to a FFL and have them do the transfer, most charge for this service

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    what do you have to do paperwork wise when selling a firearm? wouldent the firearm still be in your name from when you filled out the paperwork at the dealer? is there anything to report to the PD or something so its no longer in your name thanks for any info - Joe

see your other thread..
    there is no state database of gun owners.

even if you do paper work, the paper trail from the factory is going to lead to you if the gun is traced..

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

Those stipulations are completely up to the seller, but its not the law.

They do this as to help establish the buyer's eligibility to own and possess a firearm.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Because many believe that a Bill of Sale protects them if the firearm that they sell is later used in a crime. Not required by law.

For the LTCH, it gives them peace of mind that they are selling to a "proper person". Not required by law.

For the DL, it verifies that they are residents of Indiana so that the purchase does not have to go through an FFL in the buyers home state. The FFL process is required for state to state individual purchases.

Just curious, what paperwork would you do if you doubt any of this? Who would you submit this paperwork to?

this is a common question on this and many other forums. It is almost like people don't believe that we, the American people, deserve our freedoms.

Did you know that I bought my first big bore rifle by mail order when I was 14? Did you know that you used to be able to go into any hardware store and buy as much dynamite as you wanted? It used to be natural and proper for groups of children to be seen walking to the town dump with their 22's to shoot rats?

custom2006

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    La Porte
    I was wondering when you sell a hand gun or any gun to another individual what paperwork do you have to do? because if you sell it privitaly isint it still in your name from the origional transaction at the dealer? thanks for any info

Bought several guns FTF with only a hand shake...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Because many believe that a Bill of Sale protects them if the firearm that they sell is later used in a crime. Not required by law.

For the LTCH, it gives them peace of mind that they are selling to a "proper person". Not required by law.

For the DL, it verifies that they are residents of Indiana so that the purchase does not have to go through an FFL in the buyers home state. The FFL process is required for state to state individual purchases.

Just curious, what paperwork would you do if you doubt any of this? Who would you submit this paperwork to?

this is a common question on this and many other forums. It is almost like people don't believe that we, the American people, deserve our freedoms.

Did you know that I bought my first big bore rifle by mail order when I was 14? Did you know that you used to be able to go into any hardware store and buy as much dynamite as you wanted? It used to be natural and proper for groups of children to be seen walking to the town dump with their 22's to shoot rats?
    Heck, I used to bring my .22 to school with me on the bus and ride my friends bus to his house with it after school for squirrel hunting. And all this was in the 1980s, still in the 80s I bought a 30-06 from the JCPennys catalog.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    ATF says "Please note:

1. An individual may only sell/transfer a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his or her state.
    2. You cannot transfer/sell a weapon to someone if you believe or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearm under Federal law.
    3. If the above requirements are met, ATF recommends the buyer and seller both keep a bill of sale (a document who sold the firearm, a description of the firearm, and who bought the firearm) so that if the firearm is ever traced, the buyer/seller can provide the information.
    Indiana says the same thing. I've got the email from the ISP that says no paper work is "required" but they recommend a receipt.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom